Ideal weight

Options
I'm trying to find my ideal weight. There are about a million calculators out there!!! Any thoughts on what is the best calculator or method to figure out ideal weight?

Replies

• mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    there is one out there that takes into account your frame. small medium broad. etc. Then by height etc.
    Im not sure where! the tools section has one too
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but from what I understand a good approximation is:
    For a man, at 5' tall should be 106, add 6 pounds for every inch so at 5'10" the "ideal" weight is 166 (106 +(6x10))
    For a woman, at 5' tall should be 100 add 5 pounds for each inch so at 5'10" the "ideal" weight is 150 (100 +(5x10))
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've found many of the calculators to not necessarily make sense for me (they say my ideal weight is too low). My 2 cents is to look at them for reference, but determine your weight goals on what makes you happy and feel good. If you get to that goal and are not 100% happy, aim for another 5 pounds off!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    For a man, at 5' tall should be 106, add 6 pounds for every inch so at 5'10" the "ideal" weight is 166 (106 +(6x10))
    For a woman, at 5' tall should be 100 add 5 pounds for each inch so at 5'10" the "ideal" weight is 150 (100 +(5x10))

I could be confused, but I thought that women were supposed to weigh more than men when at the same height? Because we have more fat stores than men do.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with mrssuejones. My goal is 140, which is 5 pounds below the maximum "healthy weight range" for my body mass index. I just used a BMI calculator to get my goal range...if by 140 I still don't like how I look, I'll shoot for 135 but I don't think my body could down lower or should get down lower than 130, just because I have a larger bone structure and major birthing hips :)

So I would just suggest get a good idea of where you want to be, just to be healthy and if you like how you like before that point, good for you! If not, keep going. Just so long as you're in a healthy weight range, I think you should be fine. The rest is left up to toning and building muscle so you're not a skinny flabby person :)
  • mamacassi
    Options
    lol the 150 pound 5'10 woman? No. I'm fairly sure 150 is the max a 5'5 girl can weigh. A 5'10 is more.
    (What I mean is in the BMI thing.)
  • freedMan
    freedMan Posts: 68
    Options
    No, women should slightly weight less than men at the same height. A healthy build for a man would include more muscle than a healthy build for a women, making a man weigh more!
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    i'm a size three at 130lbs, so i'm pretty sure if i went down to this "115" goal erickib is talking about, my ribs would jut out.
  • erickirb
    Options

I could be confused, but I thought that women were supposed to weigh more than men when at the same height? Because we have more fat stores than men do.

Men naturally have more muscle mass and muscle weights more for the same density. so if a man and woman have the same measurements, highly unlikely, the man will typically weigh more as more of his mass is muscle.
  • mamacassi
    Options
    ^I don't agree.
  • erickirb
    Options
    i'm a size three at 130lbs, so i'm pretty sure if i went down to this "115" goal erickib is talking about, my ribs would jut out.

I didn't say this was a goal, as per my first line but it is a good indication as this amount would put you near the middle of the BMI range for healthy weight.
  • mamacassi
    Options
    Bottom line, a healthy weight is inbetween that insane number and that high number. You don't need to be a skinny pole and have your ribs poke out to be healthy. period.
    And taking into account your build too.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I use body fat percentage. BMI doesnt account for my large frame and its prediction of a "healthy weight" would have me diagnosed for anorexia.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' tall and weigh 101 lbs. I'm at a healthy weight... really at 94-95lbs I'd be healthy too. It all depends on your frame and ratio of muscle to fat. I think according to BMI figures, I could weigh as much as 140 before being considered overweight, and as little as 94, so there is a big window of healthy and it's up to each person to decide what weight in those guidelines fits their goals. Happy health to everyone at any size!