Cardio with a wrenched knee

Options
I wrenched my knee and am having pain walking and standing. Any exercise ideas? I have a gym membership. I know I can do the nautilus weights, and I think I might still be able to do push ups. Swimming is out. I'm used to going on an epic run or bike ride to balance out my holiday food. I need to burn some serious calories while resting my knee. Help!

Replies

• DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Just curious why swimming is out? I injured my knee/hip/hamstring/quad a few weeks ago and swimming was all I could do for a while. I did very little of it kicking and did mostly freestyle with a pull buoy which saves you from kicking. Great upper body workout and pretty good cardio.

I also found biking to not be as hard on my injury as I thought it would be. I am not back to running yet but had a pretty intense stationary bike session last night.

I hope you filnd something that works for you. Good luck.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with patella tendonitis in both knees so have to cut my running and sport out for a while. My plan for cardio is swimming, cycling and boxing. Boxing might be a good option for you - it's a fantastic cardio workout too!!!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just don't do it. You need to recover so you don't cause complications.

Also:

I've learned that steady state cardio doesn't burn much in the way of calories at all regardless of what the silly machines and MFP says. HIIT (lifting, sprints or anything that can be done with intensity) gives more of a burn, increases metabolism for hours after the exercise, is better for the joints, helps with insulin sensitivity, makes us stronger, doesn't take as long... I think you get the point.
  • InsuranceBabe
    InsuranceBabe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've got bone spurs under my knee cap and the doc said the best therapy is the bike. I also do the Love the Precore AMT machine it gives me the cardio I crave but easy on the knees.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would be careful and take it easy. No need to aggravate the knee further. You'll be better off getting back to 100 percent more quickly, with rest. At least, I assume.
    That said, gentle riding on the exercise bike keeps the knee loose and supple, and increases blood flow to the joint and pushes out swelling.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I have found that biking isn't hurting at all, just walking or anything like that! I can't do swimming because it seems to hurt most when I extend the leg (it's kind of a back of the knee thing)

I definitely have learned the value of rest over the past few years, after pushing my back, and shoulder, and IT band into chronic issues.

BOXING! now that sounds like fun! I've really been enjoying doing the weights and feeling tough- maybe that will be my next try!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Hey neighbor!

Boxing can be pretty hard on the knee. Careful with your ankle-angle!