Below calorie goal

Options
I am trying to gain musicale, lose fat, as we all are...
If I am taking in a the desired amount of protein and not enough calories is that going to most likely limit my muscle growth?

Thanks to you experts :)

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Edited to say I'm not an expert but that is my opinion...now for the experts ;)
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have been trying this for a while Frank....the balance of trying to lose fat but gain muscle makes it hard for sure than just trying to lose LBS....I actually upped both my calorie intake significantly as well as my protein percentage so I was getting at least 3x my body weight in protein grams. The hard part with high protein diets is you get filled up quickly and cant eat a ton...so the shakes are helpful as they are an easy source of calories and lean protein. I think you can get there is you just keep your calories and avoid the foods that add fat....it will be a little weird at first as you will have little carbs or sweets in your diet and you are eating basically like a caveman....just be careful as super high protein diets can be tough on the liver and kidneys and if you have blood tests done you might get false readings. But stick to it as I hope you can accomplish it and give me some motivation to start doing that again!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Let's talk specifics-
    What is your current height, weight and BF%, what is your goal?
    What is your deficit set up to be, and by how much are you undereating your deficit?
    What is your protein goal?
    What is your training plan?

In short, without the specifics, yes- your chances of building muscle while losing weight are already minute. MFP builds a calorie deficit in to your goal, which in most cases is too high to even attempt to build muscle and lose weight simultaneously- generally your best shot is to lose the fat while minimizing muscle losses. If you undereat below your deficit, not only are you not going to build muscle, but you're in the dangerous muscle loss territory.
  • 2001Frank
    2001Frank Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle requires a larger proportion of protein in your diet and heavy lifting in addition to a calorie surplus.

Losing fat requires a calorie deficit, which usually takes a little bit of muscle with it (how much depends on whether you have too big a deficit and how intensely you exercise).

Some people will alternate weeks or alternate months (lose for a while then gain for a while)