Very Low Calorie Diets -Liquid fasts

Options
Hello everyone.

I have been reading up on these various liquid diets and wanted to know peoples experiences on them were.What are your suggestions.

I have heard some horror stories about quick fix liquid diets like the Maple syrup one and 400 meal drinks resulting in people having their gall bladders removed.

I had tinkered with the idea of going on a cleansing fast for 2 weeks.The best thing is to examine my relationship with food and re-evaluate my portion sizes.These faddy diets come and go and some may even cause more harm than was intended...or worse yet you put back even more weight than you started with.

Im a little confused (well more so than normal :))

xXx

Replies

• so_losin_it
    so_losin_it Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few different liquid diets...one was MetaFast (where you drink 5 meals a day and have 1 lean meal of protein and veggies), and I've also done the Isagenix program with protein shakes. Both diets worked...I lost about 30 lbs on each. BUT, I'm back here because you can't live on liquid alone, at least I can't! And I put the weight back on when I started eating "normal" again. ALSO--both diets would leave you flabby if you didn't work out with them, and many liquid diets recommend you refrain from exercising because you are taking in so few calories. I worked out HARD with the Isagenix program, and supplemented extra food/protein. Good luck in your decision. :)
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will keep that in mind
  • Mintyhairlust
    Options
    Hi there,

I've tried the "apple detox diet" where you just eat apples everyday for 3 days and then drink 1/2 cup of olive oil on the 4th day.
    I ate 3 apples on the 1st and 2nd day and 2 apples on the 3rd. The hunger was intense haha.
    I don't think I lost any weight because of that detox diet but it's probably because I'm already in a "healthy" range of weight.

I would definitely do it again sometime, because I think it feels healthy to give your liver and kidneys a break once in awhile :)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You will just regain the weight when you start eating again... As for the detox some people believe it works, others don't.. I am in the don't category, just another gimmick. Losing weight isn't a quick fix, takes time and these crazy diets aren't the solution.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do a liquid diet I recommend getting or borrowing a juicer and making your own fruit and veggie juice(like on here: http://www.jointhereboot.com) because then at least you know exactly what you are putting in your body and can control protein/etc. The reboot website has recipes and stuff, and tells you which veggies pack the most punch health wise. The veggie juices don't taste very good(when I did this I had to put apples in for taste, and could not do the kale to save my life) but that's where the nutrients are.

ETA: don't do i for an extended time the first time, a week is probably the longest it should be done(I know that site says differently but they cray)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I would definitely do it again sometime, because I think it feels healthy to give your liver and kidneys a break once in awhile :)

thats like saying i am going to stop breathing for a couple of days to give my lungs a break...
  • HollyEvans84
    Options
    I for one can not see how in the world a liquid diet could help you lose weight AND keep it off. That is the whole purpose of losing weight right? We want to keep it off! If you go on a liquid diet I'm sure you will lose weight (because you aren't eating) but like everyone said you will gain the weight back as soon as you start eating! So what is the point in that?

I do believe in doing cleanses, HOWEVER, not all cleanses are created equal!!! I do a cleanse every 90 days and I LOVE it! I feel AMAZING after my cleanse, and I eat REAL FOOD! It is not a fast or liquid diet, which is important to me because I like food WAY to much to fast or just drink! LOL

It just really depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking to cleanse or are you looking to lose weight? Many people do lose SOME weight on cleanses but that is not the purpose of a cleanse. The purpose of a cleanse is to get rid of all the gunk in your body (toxins and built up waste). Any weight loss is purely an added bonus. What a true cleanse should do for you is clean your body, bring up your energy levels and get your digestive system running correctly again. And you should eat real food!!!
  • caegem
    caegem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I did a juice fast last Jan. It was tough, but we both lost weight!! :smile: We did it for 3 weeks after watching a documentary called fat sick and nearly dead.........I highly recomend it!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I did a juice fast last Jan. It was tough, but we both lost weight!! :smile: We did it for 3 weeks after watching a documentary called fat sick and nearly dead.........I highly recomend it!

I watched the trailer, I'm going to order the movie. THX
  • Mintyhairlust
    Options

thats like saying i am going to stop breathing for a couple of days to give my lungs a break...

Um I feel healthy I guess? It's a detox diet lol not a weight loss diet
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan of liquid diets. Partly because my problem is that I enjoy eating too much, and doubt I would be ever able to really be able to stick with it. Another issue I had was that the shakes don't really teach me how to eat the right foods.

Now that being said, my husband does supplement his diet with protein shakes - he gets the powder from GNC. He has a protein shake within 30 minutes of working out - it's supposed to help with the amino acids, and help build/repair muscle.

Best suggestion would be to find a way to make it work for you if that's the route you choose.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I went on a vlcd diet before surgery. It was 3 shakes a day plus 2 cups of non starch vegies plus 80 grams of protein.

After I detoxed from the caffine and sugar I felt pretty good and found it quite easy to stick to. I found afterwards I ate less and I no longer eat and drink some of the things I did before as I have lost the taste for them.

The main issue with liquid fasts/vlcd is that once you stop your body absorbs more calories than normal from your foods as it thinks its starving. my doctor had me gradually increase my calories after the diet so i didnt have this issue, although im still on about 600 cals a day.
  • evolutioner
    Options
    Do a watermelon fast it will clean you out like you wouldn't believe O.o but once your done you will feel amazing light as air and happier. Here's a documentary you can see its called

Eat, Fast and Live Longer - Horizon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9_vGtbjHPQ

another good resource is MEDICAL BENEFITS OF WATER FASTING
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQeSzqrvLvY
  • BrianaC07
    Options
    I don't believe in liquid fasts or diets at all. There's a reason our bodies need a certain amount of calories a day, and a certain amount of each foods a day. "Juicing" is not healthy by any means. You need more than just the juices in fruits and vegetables. You need more than just fruit and vegetable juice period!
  • HollyEvans84
    Options
    I don't believe in liquid fasts or diets at all. There's a reason our bodies need a certain amount of calories a day, and a certain amount of each foods a day. "Juicing" is not healthy by any means. You need more than just the juices in fruits and vegetables. You need more than just fruit and vegetable juice period!

AGREED!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    This thread is so full of crap everyone who has read it is now dumber.

yay for anti-knowledge......

:indifferent:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

The nonsense about toxins and built up waste will never stop.
    And not one person who makes the claim will EVER back it up with evidence or tell you what these toxins are because it is pseudoscience.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Thats a touch harsh.People are sharing their personal experiences here.Why don't you give yours instead of bashing those who have the courage to try different diets and decide for themselves if they are helpful or not.
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    It is tempting I know I have been there but the bottom line is short cuts don't work..

Exercise and eating reasonable well does..

Unfortunately it isn't easy and is called working out for a reason..

But worth it.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I know huh. How to lose weight: ****ING EAT LESS!

That is all.