I miss burritos

Options
themethod
themethod Posts: 257
I'm not talking about Taco Bell (ew) or Chipotle or On the Border or whatever other not-real-Mexican place you may know of... I'm talking about "authentic" (slightly Americanized), family run, Mexican restaurants, taco shops, or street vendors that make delicious heavenly goodness all mixed together in floury wonder.

My favorite burrito consisted of:

shredded beef or chicken (if there was meat)
refried beans
Spanish rice
cheese
guacamole
sour cream
salsa fresca
hot sauce
and maybe some lettuce, just for show

All double wrapped in two extra large flour tortillas.
* Double wrapped means they overlap two tortillas because the burrito is so full that it breaks through just one tortilla. :)

These are, quite clearly, ridiculously bad for you - especially since the ingredients are typically cooked with lard. I need some good ideas for drastically lowering the calories and fat. I'm not interested in "Tex-Mex" or Taco Bell style food that consists of ground beef, turkey, or chicken. Mexican places I grew up on don't serve ground meat - they either do stewed and shredded meat, or grilled carne asada, carnitas, or pollo asado.

Are there any good stewed chicken or beef recipes that will keep the calories down and still result in that moist deliciousness? How about refried beans that aren't fried?

I am fiending for some Mexican right now, and I might have to hurt someone if I don't get it. :laugh:

Replies

• BetterVersion
    Options
    Well... now that I've read this I miss burritos, too!

:sad:
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    well if you find low fat sour cream and other like the cheese.
    get lean steak if they dont have any. then just get the carne asda and take out the fat.

and instead of flour tortilla use corn tortilla.
    and measure out all the ingredient that you want in it and calculate it out
    if you calculate it all out.
    i think it will be a good 300-400 calories for it.
    depends what you put in and how much.

good luck with that.
    i would give you the portion and all that stuff. if i knew..
    but i think sometime this week ill be making a burrito myself :)
    i should write down all the serving and calories for next time.

i love mexican/guatemalan food.
    very similar food.
    BTW im guatemalan :)
  • esco2186
    esco2186 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you just made me miss ALL the food i use to eat at home :( lol its a sad sad day when i have to tell my abuela not to send me homemade tortillas!
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    we do "haystacks" - its something that my family made growing up. Basically a layered taco salad.

I make my own refried black beans using no oils at all, just the black beans, some chili, lime, and seasoning.
    We do goat cheddar on that - i cant do most dairy, goat is good though - its good even if it is a bit more fat - i just dont use as much as i used to!
    Then lettuce, tomato, pickles, olives, avacado, salsa (so YUMMY!!), plain yogurt (better for you than sour cream and I think it tasts better than light or fat free sour cream *yuck!*) Pretty much anything you want!

When my family makes this dish they build it up from taco chips - we just leave those out. Cant give you cals and stuff on it - it changes each time I make it! But really good for those nights where all you want is a TACO!
  • themethod
    Options
    Ha! Sorry everyone, didn't mean to make you hungry! It's just so hard... I come into work and the taco truck comes around and everyone gets breakfast burritos with whole eggs and potatoes and bacon and cheese. Or I go to lunch and the guys in the next office are bringing in carnitas. Or, worst of all, I live approximately 100 feet from what is probably the oldest family run Mexican restaurant in all of downtown and I can smell the fryer and the grill from my balcony.
  • themethod
    Options
    we do "haystacks" - its something that my family made growing up. Basically a layered taco salad.

I make my own refried black beans using no oils at all, just the black beans, some chili, lime, and seasoning.
    We do goat cheddar on that - i cant do most dairy, goat is good though - its good even if it is a bit more fat - i just dont use as much as i used to!
    Then lettuce, tomato, pickles, olives, avacado, salsa (so YUMMY!!), plain yogurt (better for you than sour cream and I think it tasts better than light or fat free sour cream *yuck!*) Pretty much anything you want!

When my family makes this dish they build it up from taco chips - we just leave those out. Cant give you cals and stuff on it - it changes each time I make it! But really good for those nights where all you want is a TACO!

How do you keep your beans from getting too dry?
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm tco truck buuuurrrrrriitttoooosss!!....with the pickedl jalapenos, carrots and onions? And the fresh squeezed lime juice and salsa? Mmmmmmm.
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Ha! Sorry everyone, didn't mean to make you hungry! It's just so hard... I come into work and the taco truck comes around and everyone gets breakfast burritos with whole eggs and potatoes and bacon and cheese. Or I go to lunch and the guys in the next office are bringing in carnitas. Or, worst of all, I live approximately 100 feet from what is probably the oldest family run Mexican restaurant in all of downtown and I can smell the fryer and the grill from my balcony.

I would have to move! I like to make pork tacos in the slow cooker. If you use a pork tenderloin and trim off the excess fat it's not too bad, but you do have to watch to make sure you're getting the correct serving size. For an easy meal that I can throw together really quick before I leave for work I just toss frozen pork tenderloin (that I cut to a 2-3 person portion size and trim the fat off before I freeze) in the crock pot with the kroger chipotle lime marinade. Soooo good! You can make your own marinade by tossing in cumin, corriander, ancho chili powder, garlic... pretty much whatever sounds good. I'd add a little water if you're not going to use any other liquid. Cook on low for 8-10 hours and shred. This with taco-sized corn tortillas generally satisfies my mexican appetite!
  • ChefJeremyC
    ChefJeremyC Posts: 332
    Options
    Chicken and Black Bean Burritos

Prep Time:25 min
    Start to Finish:25 min
    makes:8 burritos

Instant brown rice
    Water as called for on rice box
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
    1 cup Muir Glen® organic mild salsa
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    8 low-fat whole wheat tortillas (8-inch)
    1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
    Salsa, if desired

1. Cook rice as directed on package for two servings, using 1/8 teaspoon salt, but omitting butter if called for.
    2. Meanwhile, in medium microwavable bowl, mix chicken, black beans, 1 cup salsa and chili powder. Microwave on High 2 minutes or until hot, stirring after 1 minute.
    3. Place cooked rice in large bowl; stir in cilantro and lime juice until well blended.
    4. Heat tortillas as directed on package. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with about 1/4 cup rice mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold sides of tortilla toward center; fold ends over. Serve with additional salsa, if desired.

Nutritional Information

1 Burrito: Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 430mg; Total Carbohydrate 23g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 1g); Protein 18g
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Chicken and Black Bean Burritos

Prep Time:25 min
    Start to Finish:25 min
    makes:8 burritos

Instant brown rice
    Water as called for on rice box
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
    1 cup Muir Glen® organic mild salsa
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    8 low-fat whole wheat tortillas (8-inch)
    1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
    Salsa, if desired

1. Cook rice as directed on package for two servings, using 1/8 teaspoon salt, but omitting butter if called for.
    2. Meanwhile, in medium microwavable bowl, mix chicken, black beans, 1 cup salsa and chili powder. Microwave on High 2 minutes or until hot, stirring after 1 minute.
    3. Place cooked rice in large bowl; stir in cilantro and lime juice until well blended.
    4. Heat tortillas as directed on package. Spoon about 1/2 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla. Top with about 1/4 cup rice mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold sides of tortilla toward center; fold ends over. Serve with additional salsa, if desired.

Nutritional Information

1 Burrito: Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 430mg; Total Carbohydrate 23g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 1g); Protein 18g

This looks like a nice yummy alternative to my favorite meal... the BURRITO! and now I miss them too! LOL
  • Jparadise72
    Options
    Bump!!! mmm sounds muy bueno :bigsmile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, burritos. I have frozen burritos :) lol
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump.. for that recipe...YUMMY!!!!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The do make fat free refried beans... i'm not sure the calorie count on them but they have to be better than original refried beans... I honestly can't tell the difference when I throw in some jalapenos!!
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Buy the burrito that you love, cut it into thirds, eat 1/3 of the burrito along with a salad or something else super healthy, and have the meal for 3 dinners. That way you get exactly what you want, and you don't have to feel bad about the calories and fat.

The other recipes posted look yummy for alternatives, but if you're like me, when I get a craving, nothing will replace it, and I'll wish for the original item until I eat it haha.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I read you loud and clear! I had a ginormous 1,000 calorie carne asada burrito for lunch today...worth every calorie and mg of sodium lol.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options

How do you keep your beans from getting too dry?

either a bit of water as they dry out - or a bit of veggie broth, homemade if we have it on hand - the Knor less sodium veggie broth if we dont - but even just with water alone it is good.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I make burritos all the time!

I like to brown beef and mix with vegetarian beans (taste better than fat free) and warp in a tor with sonme cheese then grill like a cheese sandwich with a little olive oil.

Very calorie friendly!
  • jquintinjr
    jquintinjr Posts: 191
    Options
    use la tortilla factory high fiber low carb wraps super good for you and only 80kcal for large. pretty much = healthy burrito right there
  • themethod
    Options
    I read you loud and clear! I had a ginormous 1,000 calorie carne asada burrito for lunch today...worth every calorie and mg of sodium lol.

Did we just become best friends?

Sorry... got carried away with the "Step Brothers" quote.

You fully understand me, probably has something to do with the fact that we live in the same city. ;)