weight machine- WHAT DO I DO?!

Options
We have a weight machine in the garage, works arms, legs, etc. Not one of the "free weight" ones, but the kind you move the pin to change the weights. Gonna knock the dust off it and start using it... just not sure where to begin. Need to build muscle and tone up while trying to lose 10-15 more lbs... Any thoughts on how I should start? Weight/reps, etc... Thanks!

Replies

• irishbabe_78
    irishbabe_78 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump. anyone?
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    In general for most any of those exercises, I would say to find a weight that you can do 8-12 repetitions on, and to where you struggle on the last couple of reps. It should burn. Don't be afraid to use a heavy weight either if that idea calls for it - no fears about "getting bulky" because even us guys have to REALLY try for that!

As far as exercises to do on the machine.. do you have a good idea on what the machine has to offer?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    post a pic of it :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    post a pic of it :)
    this.

there like a zillion different type machines that could be
  • irishbabe_78
    irishbabe_78 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ok, i will take a pic of it!
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Without seeing the equipment I would agree with others. Do 8-12 reps for each set, maybe 2 sets then 3. Once you can do three sets of 12 reps then bump up the weight, go back to 8 reps of 2 sets and work up again. I typically work just bicep, triceps last since they are a smaller muscle group and if you do them first they will fatigue and you need them for other exercises too. Find a nice set of Chest, shoulder, back and arm exercises you can do, abs always good at the end. That would be my general routine.
  • fanarad
    fanarad Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've found that the best routine for me is usually doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps on any muscle. The best way to choose a weight to start with is just by trial and error - find one that challenges you but doesn't leave you in too too much pain while you're trying to do the exercises. If you choose higher reps on a lower weight, the end result will be more so toning (which is what most ladies want, at some point). To gain muscle mass doing a heavier weight and less reps is what you would want. Whatever you choose, I'd suggest staying somewhere between 8 and 12 reps so you get a little of both :) I'd love to talk more about workouts with you if you want to add me (or anyone else - I love trading workout tips)!

We have a weight machine in the garage, works arms, legs, etc. Not one of the "free weight" ones, but the kind you move the pin to change the weights. Gonna knock the dust off it and start using it... just not sure where to begin. Need to build muscle and tone up while trying to lose 10-15 more lbs... Any thoughts on how I should start? Weight/reps, etc... Thanks!
  • fanarad
    fanarad Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    oh and don't overwork the same muscle - it's best to let a muscle rest for a couple of days before working on it again, especially if it's sore the day after :)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I agree in general with what has been posted. I have a machine too, but there are many varieties. As a general rule, work your big muscles first (e.g., glutes, quads, lats) then work down to smaller groups (e.g., bis, tris). Also, don't work about having to work everything at one time. Since you need to rest a day between, it helps to divide into days for halves of the body (e.g., leg days, chest & arm days) so you can alternate them.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Most manufacturers of weight machines put out a simple program with them in the form of a card or part of the instructions. I'd check the manufacturers web site and see if they have it available for download. They're generally pretty basic, but work around the machines capabilities and restrictions.