lactose intolerant question (sort of)

Options
Ok, for those of you who use lactaid where exactly does one find it? I went to walmart the other day and spent 30 min looking for it and couldn't find it. I don't at all think I am actually lactose intolerant it's just that since my gall bladder has been removed certain dairy products don't get along with me very well. I have had someone suggest trying the sprinkles or pills people use who are lactose intolerant and see if it helps any.

I am even open to other suggestions!

Replies

• jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    You can find it in the dairy case. I use Almond Milk and it is found on the shelf in the "natural foods" section. I buy the one that is unsweetened and the calories are only 40 per cup. You can also try rice milk or soy milk instead of almond milk.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk alot actually! (I'm afraid to try soy milk because my parents said it made them really gassy) The exact one you are talking about, but there are just some things I prefer to use regular milk with (like oatmeal) or if I get a latte on occasion or whatever. My biggest issue has been yogurt so far. So there are some ways I have found around dairy but I'm still trying to figure out the rest.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If your not lactose intolerant they won't do anything. They are in the section with all the stomach ailment stuff.
  • ncthomas09
    Options
    If your not lactose intolerant they won't do anything. They are in the section with all the stomach ailment stuff.

My hypoglycemia has flared up since the surgery and recently has gone back to normal. We honeslty think the surgery just kinda "irritated" my digestive track. So the thinking was to try it and see if it helps settle my stomach. It's more of a trial and error thing since what happens to me is the same that happens to some people who are intolerant. I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks to give it a shot in the off chance it works.
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ive gotten them at target and even the grocery store. i thought i was lactose intolerant bc i was getting bloated and burping alot but he says the only symptom of lactose intolerance is diarrhea really. i was surprised to find out i was not actually lactose intolerant!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options

My hypoglycemia has flared up since the surgery and recently has gone back to normal. We honeslty think the surgery just kinda "irritated" my digestive track. So the thinking was to try it and see if it helps settle my stomach. It's more of a trial and error thing since what happens to me is the same that happens to some people who are intolerant. I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks to give it a shot in the off chance it works.

All those pills do is provide the enzyme lactase in a pill form. For those of us that are lactose intolerant we don't produce this enzyme and can't digest lactose (milk sugar) so it just sits in the gut and ferments causing gas and bloating. Just FYI.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for the pills and you have access to a Sam's Club, they sell the LactAid Fast Acting capsules for a very reasonable price. You also need to only take one as opposed to up to 4 of the regular strength kind.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If it's because of your gall bladder removal, wouldn't the problem be the fat, not the milk sugar?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's because of your gall bladder removal, wouldn't the problem be the fat, not the milk sugar?

That's my thought, my daughter had her gall bladder out and she has to be careful with fats now. I'm lactose intolerant but never found that Lactaid worked well. I can eat yogurt and some cheeses with no problem because the process involved breaks down the lactose. Milk even in small quantities is deadly for gas and diarrhea and there's lactose in a lot of processed meats and breads so I have to be careful there.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Lactaid pills are kept in the stomach ailments section, usually with the heartburn medicine.

Store wise, KMart, Walmart, drug stores all have them
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Lactaid or whatever is usually right beside the regular milk! I drank that stuff until I was about 12 years old, I always thought it had a sweet taste that I never liked. Then I drank soy milk but now, at 18, I have discovered unsweetened almond milk and am never going back. IMO it tastes amazing with everything from baking recipes to cereal and I can drink a cup straight from the carton. Try it out!
  • ncthomas09
    Options
    I had already considered the fat in dairy but there are some other foods high in fat that don't seem to effect me in the same way. I have already been back to my Dr. about some of the issues I am having since then. As a matter of fact I am supposed to go see an endocrinologist about my blood sugar issues. But as far as the other like I said it was suggested just to try the pills before eating dairy if it helps then problem solved. If it doesn't then we reasses the problem.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out many years ago, and things just don't process the same any longer. The best thing that I have found that helps is supplementing with digestive enzymes. The one I take is from Source Naturals and has enzymes that help with lactose, carbs, and fat. Now Foods Super Enzymes are also supposed to be good ones.
  • ncthomas09
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out many years ago, and things just don't process the same any longer. The best thing that I have found that helps is supplementing with digestive enzymes. The one I take is from Source Naturals and has enzymes that help with lactose, carbs, and fat. Now Foods Super Enzymes are also supposed to be good ones.

Oh I like the sounds of this!!! I am still trying to get a hang on which foods don't like me and I just don't want to have to cut stuff out of my daily diet!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Lactaid pills are kept in the stomach ailments section, usually with the heartburn medicine.

Store wise, KMart, Walmart, drug stores all have them

*This* I buy Walmart's store brand (Great Value) and they're cheaper than brand name at warehouse clubs and have worked for me as well as store brand. I've also used LactAid milk without issue. Currently I'm using Silk Coconut milk and like it. I've didn't care much for the texture of soy milk or the look of almond milk, although technically they both worked fine for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

One of the foods my daughter can't eat now is lettuce! Who would have thought lettuce would cause anyone a problem?
  • ncthomas09
    Options

One of the foods my daughter can't eat now is lettuce! Who would have thought lettuce would cause anyone a problem?

Before I had my gall bladder removed I thought I would be smart and eat a bunch of salads with fat free or at least low fat dressing....WRONG! Lettuce killed!!! Apparently it is because it's harder for the body to digest it...it's one of those controversially named negative calorie foods because of it. But since I have had it removed I can eat lettuce just fine now.