Whats most important, BMR or TDEE?

Options
Hi again,

Can anyone tell me what is more important when trying to work out my calorie deficits for the day, my BMR or my TDEE?

My BMR is 1500 and my TDEE (when I put it at a sedentry lifestyle) is 2200. I would like a calorie deficit of 1500 a day. So when working out how many calories to eat and how much to exercise should I work it based on 1500 or 2200?

For example: I eat 1200 calories for the day, if I was basing that on my TDEE of 2200 and I wanted to have a deficit of 1500 then I would only need to work off 500 calories to get that deficit.

But if I ate 1200 calories and was basing it on my BMR I would need to work out another 1200 calories that day to get a 1500 calorie deficit.

How accurate is my TDEE and is it important for working out my diet or should I only focus on my BMR? Thanks

Replies

• luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too...bumping for later.
  • athensguy
    Options
    TDEE

BMR is just one of the components of TDEE.

The calculations are guesses. I think it's a good idea to start with the recommended calories on MFP and then fine tune based on results over month long periods of time.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    what alot of people say is

1. never eat below your BMR
    2. your tdee should include your workouts (so don't put sedentary)

then select 10 - 20% off your tdee

I am sure others will come post some healthfull links
    good luck :drinker:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    TDEE is the more relevant number. Your BMR is your daily energy expenditure if you plan to lay in bed all day, so, unless you plan to lay in bed all day every day, don't use that number.

I would recommend for best results and something you can sustain, don't shoot for a 1500-calorie daily deficit. That's pretty extreme. Shoot for a 20% deficit, or about 450 calories on 2200; so, eat 1750 - 1800 on an average day.

The math for weight loss (3500 cal =1 pound) breaks down when you go to extremes. If you lay in bed all day and have a 1500 calorie per day deficit, you are not eating anything and will starve to death rather than lose weight.
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    You want to eat no less than your BMR unless you are doing some specific diet. BMR is how many calories your body requires to live and breathe if you were comatose. TDEE takes into account movement.

Look at TDEE but don't go under BMR.
  • misshendry
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was putting my TDEE at sedentary because I go from one extreme to the other.

On my work out days I go for between 1-2 hours of pretty hard cardio, or a mix of 1 hour cardio and 30min intense weights/resistance. On my rest days I am pretty much doing nothing, just working at my desk, sitting on the bus, sitting at home reading.
    So I figured that if I worked out what my TDEE is on my "rest" days then that will be my base and for the days I work out I will just add the workout calories as extras. But is that not how it works?
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    BMR is your basal metabolic rate: this is the number of calories your body uses for BASIC bodily functions (i.e to stay alive).

Judging from your BMR and TDEE, you don't have a ton to lose, which means you don't have an excessive bodyfat bank to pull from either. PLEASE don't eat below your BMR. As a PP suggested, take your TDEE (an appropriate TDEE that considers your actual activity level) and subtract 20%. (I would actually insist on a lesser % if you were a client, but I have a feeling you'd disregard that advice).
  • misshendry
    Options
    Yeah, I get what you mean about extremes, I am not planning on sustaining it, only for the next 4 weeks (christmas time, I know I know).
    So dont eat below BMR, cool. So if I were shooting for 1500 calorie deficit then eat my 1500 calories for my BMR and to stay healthy, that leaves a deficit of 700, so work out 800 at the gym and bam, thats my 1500 calorie deficit.

I know its not good to have such a big deficit for too long, which is why I am only planning it for a few weeks, but that's not too extreme and unhealthy right?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was putting my TDEE at sedentary because I go from one extreme to the other.

On my work out days I go for between 1-2 hours of pretty hard cardio, or a mix of 1 hour cardio and 30min intense weights/resistance. On my rest days I am pretty much doing nothing, just working at my desk, sitting on the bus, sitting at home reading.
    So I figured that if I worked out what my TDEE is on my "rest" days then that will be my base and for the days I work out I will just add the workout calories as extras. But is that not how it works?

What works best is a routine that you like, and that you can live with. If you enjoy blasting out two hours of hard cardio every other day, and it's not some chore, then do that. Your metabolism doesn't reset daily - lots of folks "zig-zag" their calories, eating an excess one day, under the next.
    In addition to working out, you burn over BMR on recovery, too. Those sore muscles use fuel to be repaired and NEED fuel to be repaired, so don't try to go too far under.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get what you mean about extremes, I am not planning on sustaining it, only for the next 4 weeks (christmas time, I know I know).
    So dont eat below BMR, cool. So if I were shooting for 1500 calorie deficit then eat my 1500 calories for my BMR and to stay healthy, that leaves a deficit of 700, so work out 800 at the gym and bam, thats my 1500 calorie deficit.

I know its not good to have such a big deficit for too long, which is why I am only planning it for a few weeks, but that's not too extreme and unhealthy right?

I personally feel that it's too big a deficit, but everyone's body reacts differently to these sorts of things. i find i need to keep my deficit at around 500 to keep myself feeling "fueled". since you said you are just planning it for a few weeks I'd say give it a try and monitor how you feel. You may feel fine, or you may feel like you are starting to lose steam after a week or so. Just listen to your body and if you start to fee like you need more fuel don't deny yourself that. Good luck! :smile:
  • misshendry
    Options
    So when it comes to setting MFP to tell me exactly how many calories I am in deficit that I set my goal calories to be 2200 (which is my TDEE), that way when I do exercise and eat at the end of the day the calories remaining will show my deficit.

At the moment it is set to my BMR which is 1500 as my calorie goal. But if I change it to my TDEE will that be wrong or inaccurate?
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2040, but my set calories on MFP are 1530.
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am wondering what your TDEE is? I have my total daily calories set at 1700 and something. That is my BMR. I usually net less than that and have lost weight. Is this correct? or not? I should also add that I only eat less than my BMR on days when I exersize. I dont eat it all back.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    They are both important. Your deficit comes from your TDEE though, not your BMR. Try not to net below your BMR. That's the amount of calories your body would need to survive if you laid in bed all day and didn't do anything. Why are you trying to create such a large deficit? 20% below your TDEE is ideal if you have a lot left to lose, which for you is 1,760 if all your numbers are accurate.

As far as MFP goals, do one or the other. Either use MFP's guided goals and eat back your exercise cals, or go the guided route. Put in your TDEE with the deficit you chose and do not eat back your exercise calories because they are already added in.
  • misshendry
    Options
    My TDEE is 2200 for a day where I dont do any exercise, I am aiming to eat 1500 (as that is my BMR) a day and do a workout of around 800 a day, leaving me with a deficit of 1500, for a short time..

What I want to know is if I put my net calorie goal on MFP at 2200 (since that is what I need to eat to keep my weight at the same level), and I input my food and exercise just like normal at the end of the day with "my calories remaining" will that show an accurate account of the amount of calories I am in deficit?
  • misshendry
    Options
    Awesome thanks jackien2js
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

ETA: If you are confused this is a wonderful place to start. And remember, if you lose weight too quickly you will be losing quite a bit of lean body mass with the fat.
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

ETA: If you are confused this is a wonderful place to start. And remember, if you lose weight too quickly you will be losing quite a bit of lean body mass with the fat.
    Bump Again!!! Good Stuff. Finally finding out what I am having questions about!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2200 for a day where I dont do any exercise, I am aiming to eat 1500 (as that is my BMR) a day and do a workout of around 800 a day, leaving me with a deficit of 1500, for a short time..

What I want to know is if I put my net calorie goal on MFP at 2200 (since that is what I need to eat to keep my weight at the same level), and I input my food and exercise just like normal at the end of the day with "my calories remaining" will that show an accurate account of the amount of calories I am in deficit?

I think what many are trying to say is that you are targeting an unrealistic deficit, even for a short time. If you eat 1500 and burn 800, your net is only 700. That is too low. It doesn't matter how you put it in MFP, it is still too low. Christmas or no Christmas, it isn't worth it.