Calling all runners...

Options
I love this website/app! I have made so many friends that have supported me through my 80+ lb weight journey in the past 11 months.

I started running in January of 2012. I couldn't break 10 minutes for a mile.

A few weeks later I ran my first timed 5k- 32 minutes.. I told myself.. not bad for never doing any training prior. I never followed or knew about the C25K.. I just went out and did it.

I trained hard over the winter.. I would find myself going out in 10-15 degree weather at 3am running 2-4 miles. I loved everything about it.. the peace and quiet.. the serenity.. the time to clear my thoughts... it was unlike anything else I've ever done.

April I ran my first 3 mile race (wasn't 5k.. it was a Bunny Dash on Easter morning). I was runner-up in my race in 24:39.

I kept training and working hard and losing weight on top of it... I signed up for my first ever 5k.. The St. Mary's 5k the first Sunday of June.

6th place overall in 24:19, I was ecstatic.. I won my age group and kept telling myself this was the start of a beautiful life with running.

I ran one more 5k on September 30th.. 22:42.. my current PR and was 23rd out of 338 runners.

I finally completed my dream of running and finishing a half marathon the next weekend.
On October 7, 2012, I completed the 13.1 mile course in 1hr 43min and 22seconds. I was 16th overall and runner-up in my age group.

My love for running gets more and more powerful everyday.

The next one I run in April of 2013 I want to break 1hr and 40 minutes. I am running a 5 mile turkey trot race which I want to finish in 37:30. Finally I am running a 5k the last weekend of December; a last ditch effort to dive into the 21's before 2013. I am excited and motivated!

Which brings reason to this post. Please add me if you are a runner or have aspirations to be one. I would love to have more running friends on my list and I would be honored to have your friendship!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Incredible story!!! You are doing fantastic.
  • DankiStar
    Options
    Hey warrior dude. Very inspiring! I have just started running after about 10 years off. At first it was a chore, now it is a joy! Sending you an add
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi you are so inspiring! I'm only starting to develop a passion for running, after puahing through some boundaries I didn't think I could. I run a 10k every few days and it takes around 75minutes. I think in the future I'd like to enter a race but need to start doing research. :)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i am a runner and an injured - so upset - envious now!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sending a friend request. Im at the beginning stages of running. Working on C25K, week 3 currently.

Great job on your success. I hope to be where you are someday, so Congrats on your accomplishment.

Anyone else can add me as well. I just celebrated 90 days on logging in.
  • dcdemocrat34
    Options
    Good for you! That is fantastic! I JUST started running, and have always considered myself NOT a runner, but thought "Why not?" So, I started slow, and have worked up to running very slowly, and actually have come to like it!

I have tried a couple of different running aps, like the Nike one, which I like, but the best app I have found is something called Run from Zombies, which is cheesy, but actually makes me WANT to run. It makes it fun, and interesting.

Good luck, on your marathon, I'm doing my first 5K in January, with the goal just to finish not last!
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Incredible story! Congrats!!!!
    I started running a few months ago and did my first 5k at the beginning of October and finished in 32:44. Ever since then I was hooked and have been running daily and have successfully beat my time. Im currently at about 29min for a 5k but I usually run about 5 miles and do it in about 48 minutes give or take. I had a few 5k's planned these past few weekends but due to Hurricane Sandy, they were cancelled because of storm damage. I'm hoping to do a 5 mile Turrkey Trot on Thursday and I can't wait!!! Good luck to you!! :)
  • ContrivedUserID
    Options
    Great job! I love success stories.

I got a running app last month that I love, it's called "Zombies, Run!". It has the same functions as Map My Run, but it adds in a story that plays between tracks on your playlist. You're "Runner 5", a survivor of the zombie apocalypse, and you do missions by completing your runs for the day. It's very clever and well written.

Something interesting about the app- it has a 'zombie chase' mode that acts as speed interval training. What's nice about it is it works with GPS or accelerometer (if you're running/walking on a treadmill.)

Anyhow, congratulations! If anyone has any other apps that they suggest let me know, I'm always looking for new things to try out. Feel free to add me as a friend as well- I'm training for a Tough Mudder in June and my first full marathon in October, and I'd like to network with people who are also training for different things.

Tessa
  • warriordude07run
    warriordude07run Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who added me and thanks so much for all your kind words. My running has really started taking off these past 4-5 months. I just want to stay healthy, improve my times and most of all, enjoy every minute of it. I have a 5 mile turkey trot race tomorrow morning. Would really like to break 38 minutes! Wish me luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I love this website/app! I have made so many friends that have supported me through my 80+ lb weight journey in the past 11 months.

I started running in January of 2012. I couldn't break 10 minutes for a mile.

A few weeks later I ran my first timed 5k- 32 minutes.. I told myself.. not bad for never doing any training prior. I never followed or knew about the C25K.. I just went out and did it.

I trained hard over the winter.. I would find myself going out in 10-15 degree weather at 3am running 2-4 miles. I loved everything about it.. the peace and quiet.. the serenity.. the time to clear my thoughts... it was unlike anything else I've ever done.

April I ran my first 3 mile race (wasn't 5k.. it was a Bunny Dash on Easter morning). I was runner-up in my race in 24:39.

I kept training and working hard and losing weight on top of it... I signed up for my first ever 5k.. The St. Mary's 5k the first Sunday of June.

6th place overall in 24:19, I was ecstatic.. I won my age group and kept telling myself this was the start of a beautiful life with running.

I ran one more 5k on September 30th.. 22:42.. my current PR and was 23rd out of 338 runners.

I finally completed my dream of running and finishing a half marathon the next weekend.
    On October 7, 2012, I completed the 13.1 mile course in 1hr 43min and 22seconds. I was 16th overall and runner-up in my age group.

My love for running gets more and more powerful everyday.

The next one I run in April of 2013 I want to break 1hr and 40 minutes. I am running a 5 mile turkey trot race which I want to finish in 37:30. Finally I am running a 5k the last weekend of December; a last ditch effort to dive into the 21's before 2013. I am excited and motivated!

Which brings reason to this post. Please add me if you are a runner or have aspirations to be one. I would love to have more running friends on my list and I would be honored to have your friendship!

WOW..that is just incredible!!!! congratulations on some amazing achievements..I have a feeling that this is just the start!

I only wish i can be even half as good as you!
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started running back in August...well I started trying to run. LOL I couldn't even go a few blocks at that time. I signed up to do a 5k the first of November. Completed that in 42mins, not the greatest time but I finished and I was running when I crossed the finished line. Was a great moment for me.

Now I'm up to running 2 miles and I'm working on getting faster. Lookng to do another 5k around March. Never thought I would enjoy it but I really do. Oh my running partner is my dog Kosmo he keeps me going.