Toning my stomach

Options
I am very happy with my body but I do have a biological little "pooch" on my stomach that I would love love love to get rid of so I can finally see the results of my hard work when working out! When I set my mind to it I can do anything and I just want to know what I could possibly do to get rid of this pooch for once and for all. I already run thirty minutes about five days a week so I don't think doing cardio is enough (I also do a ton of ab workouts). What do I need to make sure that I avoid eating in order to make this happen? What do I need to eat/not eat or what should I add to my work out routine?

Replies

• Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    Spot-toning or spot fat removal is really a myth. Cardio is ultimately the best fat burner. You may want to try to up the intensity of your cardio.

From your post though, I would overall recommend a little bit of weight training as well. Nothing burns fat like adding lean muscle. There's lots of good advice for programs to get into for that. I do P90X myself which combines weight training and cardio.
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    Have you tried doing the reverse crunch - it's suppose to target that "pooch." You lay on your back and bring your legs up to a 90 degree angle. Then using your core/abs you raise your butt of the ground bringing your legs in & up towards your head. Here's a link: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_7.htm. Pilates has also helped me tremendously with my abs. You could always try that - there are tons of good DVDs.
    Sounds like your doing pretty good though - I'm glad you are happy with your body and proud of all your hardwork.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym."

As has been said, spot reducing is a myth. Getting your body fat down is really the only way to do it. Eat a really clean diet with a calorie deficit and a good balance of protein, carbs and good fats. Keep up the cardio, maybe up it. Add some circuit training with resistance for other parts of the body too, if you aren't already (the more muscle mass you have elsewhere, the more you burn overall). The last few pounds are stubborn and, as you said, they biologically WANT to be there. Your body doesn't want to get rid of them, so it is going to take time, but they will come off eventually (I'm told, though I'm working on it myself).
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym."

Absolutely true!
  • twissc
    twissc Posts: 5
    Options
    Yeah I heard that program works really well...just too expensive for me! I'm one of those poor college students haha I usually walk everywhere for exercise in addition to my gym work outs. What's the best way to work out in order to gain lean muscle? That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
  • twissc
    twissc Posts: 5
    Options
    Oh and also I do like that idea for the reverse crunch. I will check that out! I totally agree about the diet. I can't wait until I'm not living on campus so I can buy my own choices of healthy food instead of having to constantly eat the stuff offered at my school which I know isn't what's best for my body. As far as the calorie "deficit" diet...does that really help to burn off the stomach pooch? I thought depriving yourself of enough daily caloric intake actually does more harm than good when it comes to fat storage. I've found with regards to diet that portion control is the biggest factor...at least for me. I've tried to train my body and mind to stop eating before I'm at that "full" point.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    As far as the calorie "deficit" diet...does that really help to burn off the stomach pooch? I thought depriving yourself of enough daily caloric intake actually does more harm than good when it comes to fat storage. I've found with regards to diet that portion control is the biggest factor...at least for me. I've tried to train my body and mind to stop eating before I'm at that "full" point.

Calorie deficit just means taking in fewer total calories than your body is burning throughout the day (exercise + just keeping you alive and moving around), it doesn't mean starvation. Getting a caloric deficit by whatever means (be it through eating less, exercising or some combination of the two) is the only way to reduce body fat. When you say "portion control" that is really what you are talking about--eating less than you used to before, thereby creating a caloric deficit.

My absolute favorite place for quick, fat burning, strengthening workouts is http://www.bodyrock.tv -- free and many of the workouts require no equipment at all (some workouts add in some equipment like jump rope, pull up bar). I feel like I'm beginning to sound like an infomercial for this site with how many times I mention it, but workouts like these are the way to go for fat burning and lean muscle building without spending hours in the gym. I'm also liking the 30 Day Shred DVD, which can be purchased online for less than $10.
  • nicola_743
    Options
    I have these abs exercises!

Vertical Leg Crunch

A variation of the common known crunch.

1.Lie on your back on a flat surface. You can use a mat to serve as a cushion for your spine.
    2.Put your hands behind the head but do not pull your head.
    3.Lift your legs up into the air with your ankles and knees slightly crossed.
    4.Contract your abs and lift your shoulders, upper back and head on a 30 degree angle.

Long Arm Crunch

1.Lie on the floor, knees bent and your feet flat on the surface.
    2.Extend your arms back on the floor, like you do when reaching above your head.
    3.Start contracting your abs slowly, lifting your head and upper back form the floor at a 30 degree angle. Â Hold.
    4.Lower back and repeat for a set.

Reverse Crunch

1.Lie on your back; use something like a towel to cushion your spine.
    2.Put arms at your sides, palm facing to the sky.
    3.Put your legs in the air with your knees bent parallel to the floor, and your hips perpendicular.
    4.Extend your legs and contract your abs so your hips lift off the floor.
    5.Hold this position and with absolute control and a slow pace bring your hips back to the floor and to the starting position.