Rest day after HIIT?

Options
I only did a 15min HIIT workout today, and it was recommended to take a rest day tomorrow. But... I don't wanna. Think I'll regret it if I plow through a workout tomorrow too? Probably something longer but a bit less intense.

edit: When I say HIIT, I do mean HIGH INTENSITY. I was working at a 10, for sure.

Replies

• Fitness_withsarah
    Options
    You don't have to take a rest day but do not do another HIIT! Your body needs to recover. Just walk, easy run or something with a low intensity :)
  • Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    Take a rest day from HIIT, but not a rest day...no need for cardio every day whether it's HIIT or not. Get another good workout in tomorrow, but leave the cardio out. Proud of you!!!
    :wink:
  • gofuku
    gofuku Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to fitness as an adult but have come to associate resting with strength training rather than cardio, the routine that I have built for myself is cardio (swimming) 6 days a week and strength training on Monday and Friday for now.

I would say that rest days are a must for strength building and am interested to hear others opinions on cardio.

It is important to be patient in things and to take the long term into account so I would keep that in mind and take the rest day.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Only you can determine if you need a rest day. Some people are fine doing HIIT multiple days in a row.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reinforcement. I'll most likely stick to my non HIIT but still working out plan. Just glad no one posted that my heart would explode... kidding...
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have worked out or exercised every day for the last 10 years with little rest days. Your body definitely needs recovery days, but if you mix your routine up you can still do back to back days no problem. But like others said, its really up to you and your body. Your body will let you know when it needs a full recovery day or a light day. Good luck and keep up the good work!