Needing some deer meat recipes

Options
TammyLynne71
TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
I am in dire needd of some more deer meat recipes. It seems like I 'm making the sme thing again and again. Yes, I have heard just use deer burger in place of hamburger. But get abit of a workout in and throw me a recipe or two.

Replies

• onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for just burger recipes? Marinate some of the steaks in italian dressing and grill, but only go to medium at the most overcooking deer doesn't turn out well

Mark
  • TammyLynne71
    Options
    Thanks. I did try to grill a roast on the outside grill. Thought I was watching it really well but it got cooked really well.
  • Darcy011
    Darcy011 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Marinate steaks in beer (a light beer works fine) overnight, grill or broil to medium rare or medium and serve with roasted potatoes and steamed veggies
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Deer spaghetti.
    Deer chili.

Or get deer sausage made.yumm!
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How can you eat Rudolf especially at this time of year... :sad:

(Cube, Marinade in red wine, Cook in crock pot with red wine marinade then reduce the wine to make a red wine sauce)
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Rub with olive oil (teeny amount), salt, pepper and crushed juniper berries, then fry to your preference (pink!!)
    make a sauce using red wine, shallots and bluberries or blackberries,
    serve with celeriac mash and seasonal veg.
    Yum!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My favorite is get aluminum foil lay down a layer of bacon on the foil, deer steaks, onions and seasoning on the bacon, another layer of bacon, another layer of foil, then bake or grill. Another one is something I don't see a lot of, outside of South Dakota. It's called chislic. Take a deer steak, marinade in bourbon, cut into small squares(like if you were going to use for stew), deep fry in oil, when they're about how you like your steak, pull from pan and shake on garlic powder. It's pretty legit. Works with deer, beef, lamb, pheasant, etc. Either of the two ways, it's pretty hard to dry out. But, still a chance of overcooking
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love doing the less tender cuts of Bambi in my slow cooker and use a basic red wine sauce made with Chianti, mushrooms, shallots, sliced smoked pancetta or bacon and a big dollop of redcurrant jelly.

I have also used it to replace the beef in the Rick Stein Strogonoff recipe here:-
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beefstroganoffwithma_71568

and

This one is the decadent one I;m trying next....ravioli with chocolate and venison
    http://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/article/fred-ponnavoys-open-dark-chocolate-venison-ravioli-with-herb-salad-light-easter-recipe-40372/

Poor Bambi...look out Thumper!

Hope the recipes help
    Sky x
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Love deer meat!

You can do just about anything you'd do with any other kind of meat! My favorite are deer steaks and deer chili! :)
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Throw a roast in a crock pot with beef broth, onion, garlic and whatever seasoning you like, when it is done drain it and shred the meat. then BBQ and make some AWESOME sandwiches!1
  • CandanceT
    Options
    I make pulled venison with the roasts. Just use any pulled pork recipe and cook it in the slow cookery for the day. I have yet to find anyone who doesn't like. :)
  • TammyLynne71
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the yummy ideas.