Upping from 1200

Options
2»

Replies

• KellyJannine
    KellyJannine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight I was at 2,000 calories like I thought you were supposed to. I was losing, and consistently.. then I went down to 1200 because thats what fitnesspal told me to do. Thats when everything went to crap!!! I have been struggling losing, and I have lowered and highered, and now i'm deathly afraid of going back to 2000 calories thinking that I will GAIN. But, when I did go back up to 1500 I lost. Your metabolism slows considerably when it isn't getting what it needs. I was a pro at getting my fiber and protien, while being at a very low calorie range. Now, i'm just trying to be consistent and keep things light so that I can maintain my eating for the rest of my life. If i can't, then I have a problem! Sometimes I throw in a very low calorie day to try and trick myself into some weight loss LOL Ever heard of calorie cycling? It is an interesting concept if you have the patience. I wish myfitnesspal had the option to change it up like that without manually editing our goals everyday!

good luck
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight I was at 2,000 calories like I thought you were supposed to. I was losing, and consistently.. then I went down to 1200 because thats what fitnesspal told me to do. Thats when everything went to crap!!! I have been struggling losing, and I have lowered and highered, and now i'm deathly afraid of going back to 2000 calories thinking that I will GAIN. But, when I did go back up to 1500 I lost. Your metabolism slows considerably when it isn't getting what it needs. I was a pro at getting my fiber and protien, while being at a very low calorie range. Now, i'm just trying to be consistent and keep things light so that I can maintain my eating for the rest of my life. If i can't, then I have a problem! Sometimes I throw in a very low calorie day to try and trick myself into some weight loss LOL Ever heard of calorie cycling? It is an interesting concept if you have the patience. I wish myfitnesspal had the option to change it up like that without manually editing our goals everyday!

good luck

Thanks for your response! yes I've heard of calorie cycling, and I noticed when i was in a "plateau" (only a few days) when I ate more calories than usual I definitely lost.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Any more replies? :)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i'm supporting. I've been eating 1400-1500 for weeks now and i STILL lost my period :(
    i'm gonna try and up to 1800 and see if it comes back.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow I actually just went from 1400 to 1600 the other day. I already notice huge differences. I feel happier - my mood isn't so "depressed". I also have lost weight since...even though it has only been 3 days...so It may not be "true" weight loss...but the number is finally going down. I was stuck in a 3 month plateau. I did not want to increase by too much because like you, i was apprehensive if it was going to work. My only challenge is trying to eat more calories, without extra carbs. I have found this to be difficult. I have just increased egg and cheese though. :D Try it out!! There is really nothing to lose, except some weight! If it doesn't work, then try something else.

Someone mentioned to me to try it for at least 4 - 6 weeks just to make sure my body adjusts. I was warned that I may gain weight at first, then lose. I have just noticed a loss though so :D yay.
  • Jen800
    Options
    Wow I actually just went from 1400 to 1600 the other day. I already notice huge differences. I feel happier - my mood isn't so "depressed". I also have lost weight since...even though it has only been 3 days...so It may not be "true" weight loss...but the number is finally going down. I was stuck in a 3 month plateau. I did not want to increase by too much because like you, i was apprehensive if it was going to work. My only challenge is trying to eat more calories, without extra carbs. I have found this to be difficult. I have just increased egg and cheese though. :D Try it out!! There is really nothing to lose, except some weight! If it doesn't work, then try something else.

Someone mentioned to me to try it for at least 4 - 6 weeks just to make sure my body adjusts. I was warned that I may gain weight at first, then lose. I have just noticed a loss though so :D yay.

Thanks! Good to hear it's working for someone! Good luck :)
  • Jen800
    Options
    i'm supporting. I've been eating 1400-1500 for weeks now and i STILL lost my period :(
    i'm gonna try and up to 1800 and see if it comes back.

Thanks for your reply, I really hope everything works out for you :smile:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The reason you found yourself eating less and less over time is because leptin levels drop during calorie restriction. When you eat enough to fuel your body, leptin signals that you have eaten enough and are full. However, when leptin levels decrease, your body signals you are full despite not meeting your daily energy demands. In other words, your hunger signaling gets messed up which is why basing how much one eats during calorie restriction should not be on how hungry you are.
  • Jen800
    Options
    The reason you found yourself eating less and less over time is because leptin levels drop during calorie restriction. When you eat enough to fuel your body, leptin signals that you have eaten enough and are full. However, when leptin levels decrease, your body signals you are full despite not meeting your daily energy demands. In other words, your hunger signaling gets messed up which is why basing how much one eats during calorie restriction should not be on how hungry you are.

Thanks for your reply! :)
  • Jen800
    Options
    Any more replies :)? Bump!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    In addition to other suggestions to drop all the diet and low- stuff, try to use more oil and other fats for cooking/dressings/baking. If the fats fit within your macros, it is any easy way to add calories to what you are already eating.

I started our at 1200 because that's just what I thought I was supposed to do (my fault, set my goal too steep for someone not needing to lose a lot of weight.) It seemed okay for a while and I lost about 8 pounds quick, but after a month or so I was getting so cranky and tired all the time. I knew that was not right so I slowly upped my calories. I'm on maintenance now and trying to figure that out. Good luck to you!
  • Jen800
    Options
    In addition to other suggestions to drop all the diet and low- stuff, try to use more oil and other fats for cooking/dressings/baking. If the fats fit within your macros, it is any easy way to add calories to what you are already eating.

I started our at 1200 because that's just what I thought I was supposed to do (my fault, set my goal too steep for someone not needing to lose a lot of weight.) It seemed okay for a while and I lost about 8 pounds quick, but after a month or so I was getting so cranky and tired all the time. I knew that was not right so I slowly upped my calories. I'm on maintenance now and trying to figure that out. Good luck to you!

Thanks! these are excellent ideas :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

What a great explanation. I have a few friends that are eating VLCD. Sometimes with exercise they are netting below 700 - 800 cals per day. They are so excited because they are now "listening to their bodies" for the "first time in years" and are only eating when they are "hungry". I wish they could all read this and understand how this process of VLCD works. I may cut and paste - if you don't mind. Thanks!
  • Jen800
    Options

What a great explanation. I have a few friends that are eating VLCD. Sometimes with exercise they are netting below 700 - 800 cals per day. They are so excited because they are now "listening to their bodies" for the "first time in years" and are only eating when they are "hungry". I wish they could all read this and understand how this process of VLCD works. I may cut and paste - if you don't mind. Thanks!

Definitely. I realized my body needs more food, even if I'm not hungry. I'm trying hard to make sure I'm netting the right amounts :) Thanks for your input!
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know it has already been mentioned that eating an extra meal or snack helps. To add to that, I suggest getting started with your first meal earlier in the day. I often go to a 6:15 a.m. workout, this means I need a quick snack before I leave, then breakfast when I get home at 7:30, then going from there with my meals and snacks. If I don't eat until 9 a.m. I'm always low on calories at the end of the day. I do prefer to eat in small meals through the day than fewer larger meals.

Last month I increased from 1200 to 1450 for 30 days and went into a plateau. I went back down to 1200 and lost 2 pounds in a week. I am 5'2" and 116 right now. I plan to calorie cycle like this on a monthly basis to reach my goal, which is currently to get to 25% BF%.

Lastly, I did find it hard at first to hit 1450, then I found it difficult to cut back down and was hungry for several days while I made the adjustment.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I ate under 1000 calories. That was a disaster. Now I eat 1000+ for dinner alone. :smile:

For me, it helps to add calories and nutrition without adding a lot of extra volume to the meals. Have a little bit extra at each meal or snack. It's easier to add 100 calories to 3 meals and 3 snacks than it is to add 600 calories to one meal.

Instead of 3-4 ounces of chicken, have 5-6 ounces. Add a serving of cheese to just about anything. Cook with olive oil. I have chocolate milk as a bedtime snack most nights... I can add protein powder to double the calories and add an extra 25g of protein. sometimes I'll add protein powder to the milk I use on breakfast cereal. I'll use guacamole as a sandwich spread -- tastes great with turkey and tomatoes. Instead of a candy bar, I'll have a protein bar that tastes like a candy bar. And sometimes I'll have the candy bar, too. Don't go for the lowfat and light versions of dairy and dressings.
  • Jen800
    Options
    How are you calorie cycling? Every month or every week? I'm interested to know. Great tips by the way :)
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First, Good for you for realizing you need to eat more. When you say you struggle to eat that many calories, are you so full you just can't eat another bite, or are you just not hungry? Honestly, for me, I'm rarely hungry, but that is a good thing. I do eat my calories, but I find I just eat to fuel by body. I'm rarely over full, but I'm also rarely so hungry that my stomach is growling.

You may not be hungry, but unless you just can't eat another bite, find something to eat and eat it. Your body will adjust and you may even find yourself getting hungry. Eating calorie rich foods is a good choice and you are already doing that, just add a couple more when needed, or find a snack. It's really not too bad and we all managed to eat much more before or we wouldn't have been in the situations we were in.

You can do this, just get past the not hungry part and have a snack. :)

Augh!!! this is my worst nightmare. I hate being hungry and love the idea of simply not being hingry, but i hate the idea of not enjoying food more. Food just to fuel the body... It's just not a concept i can understand, and therein might lie my problem!!!!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    if you are exercising at all... 1200 calories is no where near enough intake. My trainer is a fitness model competitor and she is currently training for a competition and she's on a 1500 calorie diet. I myself am on a 1500 calorie diet and I was doing way too much cardio for my intake and BMR. Bottom line my metabolism shut down and I stalled for 2 weeks.

Spread your meals out if you get full easily. Try eating small meals every 2-3 hours.