My 13 yo son wants to start weight training

Options
My not-very-active 13 year old boy wants to start doing something to lose a little bit of weight and get more active. He plays baseball in the summer, but that hardly counts as a sport, and has no interest in soccer or football. But he did say tonight he'd like to start doing some weights (he has seen what it has done for my body!).

Is this a good idea for someone his age, and any special considerations I need to think about? I'd probably start him out on a routine like I do - All Pro Simple Beginners Routine (squats, bench press, overhead presses, straight leg deadlifts, curls, bent over rows).

Any advice please! Thanks!

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    13s the perfect age to get started just dont let him "bulk' yet his body isnt ready for that but its a great way to get in shape and get started on a healthy life
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    13s the perfect age to get started just dont let him "bulk' yet his body isnt ready for that but its a great way to get in shape and get started on a healthy life
    WTF are you talking about?

richardheath, go speak to a doctor.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    At the martial arts school that I teach at we limit some activities with kids under 12 years old because their joints are still developing but I agree with djames that he should be fine with weightlifting at his age as long as he starts out slow and isn't going to be trying to bulk up just yet. He will probably gain a huge amount of confidence as a bonus!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Speak to a doctor, but it's common knowledge weight training at a young age can stunt growth (height)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Speak to a doctor, but it's common knowledge weight training at a young age can stunt growth (height)
    That's actually not true. It's not common knowledge. It's more of a debate in the fitness community right now. You have medical experts debating both sides.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not? In times gone by, a 13-year-old might be working as a full-time laborer, or lifting and building on the farm, lots of things. The human body is meant to be used!
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would say that age is fine for weight training. When I was in high school there was weight training class as an elective offered to all grades including freshman (who are 13-15yrs old right?)

While speaking to a Dr. is always a good idea for anyone starting an exercise routine, I think as long as the workout is appropriate for his abilities it should be fine. Don't let him push himself to extreme...

And kudos to your son who has taken an interest in his health, as well as to you Dad for leading by example!
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i think it's a great idea! but hold off until you get the green light from your son's pediatrician!

well done to both dad and son who want to get in shape :D
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem for dumbbells workouts etc...just don't let him lift from ground....like heavy stuff.
    Could injured his back etc
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Check out position papers from the National Strength and Conditioning Association and American Academy of Pediatricians. Both state that resistance exercise is safe for teens.

General things to look out for:

Keep the emphasis on learning proper form and technique--actually body weight exercise are best at this age, but I understand he might want to emulate your workouts.

Pay attention to interest level and fatigue--boredom and fatigue are two major contributors to injury.

Avoid maximal lifts and heavy overhead lifts.

Dumbells or bars with plates are both fine. So are machines, although fit can sometimes be an issue.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    From a safety and efficacy standpoint, enough recent research has suggested between the ages of 10-17 (during their growth spurt) is an acceptable time to introduce such exercise to adolescent boys and girls since their developing body can handle the additional stress of moderate resistance training.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    stay away from weight training at 13 lol hes going through puberty , hormones all over the place , peak of growth . i started weight training at 16 which is reasonable
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    perhaps start with body weight exercises. at 13 there is the risk of damaging bones/joints and muscle tissues doing heavy resistance training.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think it is important that you speak to a Sports Medicine doctor and get their expert opinion, but also if he is going to start weight training, getting him a personal trainer is probably a very good idea. 13 year old's just like every other teenage and male in general for that part, are not always the safest when it comes to lifting (pride showing off and what have you) so making sure he is using and understands the importance of proper technique and not trying to show off for his friends if something you need to make sure he gets early, because like everyone else has mentioned, if he does anything to hurt himself now, chances are its going to be a problem for the rest of his life.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    perhaps start with body weight exercises. at 13 there is the risk of damaging bones/joints and muscle tissues doing heavy resistance training.

I agree.
    Once he owns body weight exercises, or has got bored.... Then think about introducing proper weights.

Annie started when he was 15, but from my own point of view as a father... I'd want to make damn sure that doing weights wouldn't screw him up.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys and gals.

I was aware there might be some debate over this, which is why I thought I'd ask. He just brought this up last night, so I haven't had a chance to speak to his Dr yet. He is already about 5' 9", just a couple of inches shorter than me.

If we do this, I would start him light, with dumbbells, and work on form. I do think it would be good for him and his confidence. He is quite conscious of his body - he is a little chubby right now. But yeah - I wouldn't encourage him to bulk now.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't know what age is ok to get started, but it's wonderful that he is asserting himself to take an approach to fitness and a healthy lifestyle at such a young age!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old son does a lot of body-weight exercises, and will continue to do so until he's well into puberty.

I don't know about special ages being allowed to do what with weights. I think it's great that he wants to get into it. Speak to his doctor though!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My nephew is 11 and does simple weightlifting. he does dumbell bench presses, since he's still too small to handle the bar. He does it more because its "cool" to him. Hes learning good form and it has built up his confidence. after a year of football where he was smaller, slower, and younger than the rest of the team (and was tormented because he wasnt as coordinated as 12-14 year olds) this gives him the boost he needs.

teach him good form, make sure hes eating correctly; abd make him take breaks. if he passes a basic physical he should be golden.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys and gals.

I was aware there might be some debate over this, which is why I thought I'd ask. He just brought this up last night, so I haven't had a chance to speak to his Dr yet. He is already about 5' 9", just a couple of inches shorter than me.

If we do this, I would start him light, with dumbbells, and work on form. I do think it would be good for him and his confidence. He is quite conscious of his body - he is a little chubby right now. But yeah - I wouldn't encourage him to bulk now.

He doesn't need to jump right into heavy resistance training. Why not start with push-ups, pull-ups, and lunges? Tell him once he can do 50 push ups and 10 pull-ups, you'll reward him with something like a gym membership or home weights, etc.