Time to give away "fat clothes?"

Options
Hello all!

So I am down 21 pounds, which on a 5'1" frame makes a difference. I am down at least a pant size and quite a bit on top...

My suit jackets are not fitting me! I have a coworker who is in dire need of some new stuff, and I think some of my old stuff will fit her, but I am so hesitant to let it go!

I have invested in my professional wardrobe, so some of it is nice stuff, yet I have always heard that it is best to get rid of the stuff that is too big. I guess as someone who is budget conscious (aren't we all) it is just hard to think that I will be giving away totally good clothes that I once loved!

Any advice?

Replies

• claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I can't say what's best for you but I can say what I would do - get rid of them!! You are committed to NEVER needing them again, so they are just a waste of space. If they are nice, maybe you can make some of your money back - consignment shops or ebay. Funny I never got rid of my thin clothes so now they are waiting for me. But I will get rid of my fat clothes right away - good bye and good riddance!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give them to your bigger friends! I've had that happen to me, and it's like a slap in the face.
  • aliciarose511
    aliciarose511 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can't say what's best for you but I can say what I would do - get rid of them!! You are committed to NEVER needing them again, so they are just a waste of space. If they are nice, maybe you can make some of your money back - consignment shops or ebay. Funny I never got rid of my thin clothes so now they are waiting for me. But I will get rid of my fat clothes right away - good bye and good riddance!

Haha so true!! I have lots of skinny clothes waiting...
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my big clothes and God provided "new" clothes from someone else cleaning out their closet that were just my size! I totally understand being budget conscious, but you can always shop at the Goodwill or Salvation Army or local thrift store too.

God bless,
    Karen
  • aliciarose511
    aliciarose511 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give them to your bigger friends! I've had that happen to me, and it's like a slap in the face.

Yeah, a friend of mine and I have an inside joke about giving each other fat clothes and being offended. The ONLY reason I would offer them up to this particular coworker is because I know she is hurting for money and got a talking to about her wardrobe needing to be more professional. Otherwise I would not do it.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I would go through everything and be happy to get rid of some of the too big stuff, but seeing you have invested a lot into your wardrobe and have some outfits you really love, how about taking them to a dressmaker and having them altered to fit? It will still cost but surely not as much as replacing your really nice stuff, then maybe go out and buy a new wardrobe when you have hit your goal weight and you know you will be getting plenty of wear out of your new clothes?
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on 21 pounds!

For the clothes, are there any of the pieces you can have tailored to fit your new figure? If you've invested in good quality clothing, it might be worth it to find someone to take them in for you, and might be cheaper than replacing them. For those other pieces you don't want or can't be tailored, then give them away to your coworker or a charity that helps women who have been homeless or nearly try to find jobs by providing appropriate clothing for interviews or office settings.

Its also a pretty liberating feeling to get rid of them. I can't quite say what I'm trying to, but basically those clothes represent the 20 lbs lost. If you don't have the pounds, why have the clothes?

eta: guess I can't quite type, either!
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!! I only feel safe if I have a full wardrobe in every size I have ever been in the last decade. (I am beginning to suspect I might have a slight problem.)
  • emlee01
    emlee01 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would offer up hand-me-down larger sized clothes to a friend or colleague unless the relationship was VERY, VERY solid. I side with slkehl on that one. Instead, I would donate or consign them.
    Most of the time, it's just as expensive to have your clothes altered to fit "the new you" as it is to buy replacements... And it can be fun checking out thrift shops for part (or all) of your new wardrobe if you are trying to stretch your budget. (Been there, done that!)

Congratulations on all your hard work!
  • GoldenShah
    GoldenShah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recommend giving the clothes away as hopefully you will no longer need them. I gave all my "big" clothes away, and now I know if my clothes get a bit tight on me, I have to knuckle down and watch my diet till the clothes fit comfortably again. It is so much easier to lose a kg or two than to allow yourself to gain too much weight, and have to shed that again! Invest in some nice new "thin" clothes that you will like and want to fit into! Best of luck!
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have given all my big clothes to a local charity, no way am I keeping them in my closet as I'm never going back to those sizes again! I only have a few items of clothing I actually wear because I've gone through sizes so quick I don't spend much and have just enough in my current size to keep me going.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

So I am down 21 pounds, which on a 5'1" frame makes a difference. I am down at least a pant size and quite a bit on top...

My suit jackets are not fitting me! I have a coworker who is in dire need of some new stuff, and I think some of my old stuff will fit her, but I am so hesitant to let it go!

I have invested in my professional wardrobe, so some of it is nice stuff, yet I have always heard that it is best to get rid of the stuff that is too big. I guess as someone who is budget conscious (aren't we all) it is just hard to think that I will be giving away totally good clothes that I once loved!

Any advice?

Have the ones you like tailored - donate the rest. congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Have the stuff you like altered. If it's quality material, then a good taylor/seamstress can alter it. It's much easier in general to make things smaller than bigger so altering down a size should be possible. It might not work on some types of fabric really well, but talk it over with a taylor. And generally, altering clothes should be less expensive than buying new stuff.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I was reading a message board a while ago when I was pondering this same question. Someone had remarked about Cortez burning his ships and it was like a light bulb going on over my head. I packed up everything that didn't fit anymore and took it to Goodwill. I have been watching mostly clearance items at Kohl's (and making sure I have their coupons as well) to replace items. I will be going down even more sizes, so I don't really need to buy too much. And like others, I still have some smaller stuff that i have kept which is like shopping for free! LOL!

I currently don't have anything so nice or expensive that I think about getting it altered, but if you can it might be worth it to keep clothes that you really like. As to giving it to your friend, I think it all depends on the relationship. If she could really use them then she would probably be really happy to have them.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I sorted through mine and put them in several groups.

Things that were well worn went straight to charity/ goodwill.

Things that were good quality I brought into the office, explained to my collegaues that I was taking this lot to the charity shop, but if they wanted to have a rummage first and take anything that they fancied either for themsleves or for their friends and family then they were more than welcome.

Thnings that were really good but that I didn't want to keep I sold on eBay or Gumtree.

And one or 2 items that I absolutely loved I had altered to fit my new size.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    One advantage to ditching the larger clothes is that it makes it more of an issue if you start to 'creep' upward in weight. If there are clothes in your closet that fit you at a higher weight, it doesn't set off the alarm bells in the way that having to go out and buy bigger clothes would.

In theory, I advocate keeping only clothes that fit. In practice, I have several huge sweatshirts that I still wear (they're XLs and I wear a small or medium) but all my pants are the correct size so that's effectively the same thing - if they get too tight, alarm bells will go off.

(edited because it's too early for me to be able to spell, apparently)
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you can and you really love them alter them to get them to fit your new body! =]
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    alter yourself or take to a tailor - new clothes for a fraction of the price!
    a sewing machine is a weight loss and purse friend!
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Things that were good quality I brought into the office, explained to my collegaues that I was taking this lot to the charity shop, but if they wanted to have a rummage first and take anything that they fancied either for themsleves or for their friends and family then they were more than welcome.

This is a great idea! Maybe instead of singling your co-worker out, you can just bring the box to work and tell everyone that you are getting rid of them. And don't mention you are getting rid of them due to weight loss, just say you no longer need them.