disappointed and diet pop!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    that 20 z soda pop is around 300 plus calories, and if ur not eating enough the weight will not move..

If it's diet, it has 30 calories or less (depending on the type) but up to 300 mg of sodium.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    On the diet soda - I gave up all soda for Lent this year. My experience since not drinking diet soda is that I don't crave sweet things as often and I generally just "feel better". I have terrible plantar fasciitis that is sometimes so painful that I can't walk - let alone exercise - since giving up soda (real and diet) - I haven't had nearly as much trouble. I haven't excluded artificial sweeteners completely - my "treat" now when we go out and I've had ALL of my water for the day is Diet Ice Tea. I'm looking forward to when we have enough sun here that I can make sun-tea... my favorite.

Roxanne - Welcome. To get your 1800 calories in - (and I know exactly how you feel) - look at adding in some nuts, trail mix, an extra snack or two. Make sure that you're eating every 2 hours. I eat at 8, 10, 12, 2, 4, 5:30, and 7:30... I eat A LOT! What are you generally eating for breakfast???

There are some nutrition professionals who link the increased onset of obesity in the USA w/ the increased use of artificial sweeteners because they trick your body into thinking it is getting something it isn't (sugar) so it adjusts (retaliates??:grumble: :frown: ) by craving sweets to compensate for the lack. I have certainly found that not using splenda the way I used to has reduced my craving for carbs and sweets, so I think there is something to it. I can't remember the last time I had a diet soda--was probably about a year ago.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Roxanne - start a new thread with your post and I know you'll get a lot of support, it really does work. It may take a little longer than you like and you may fall off the horse a couple of times, but it's much easier to get back on when you have an entire community rooting for you. Nobody beats you up, and everyone is pretty quick to point it out if you're beating yourself up. Welcome!

As far as the diet soda debate, I used to have Diet Coke a couple of times a week until I realized it has no value. It's not a real food. I stopped and haven't missed them at all. The fake sugars are really scary and don't promote healthy weight or healthy eating. If it's really hard to stop drinking them, that kind of supports the notion that they can be addictive to some people.

Dump them, I say. You'll be glad you did!
    Karim
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    i think you should TOTALLY give up the diet pop cause its still soda.
    and also. it makes your stomach blow up. cause of the bubbles. sooooo if you think drink diet pop will help lose the weight... it wont cause of the chemical.
    soooo just give it up.

hope you do better next week
  • roxannemayo
    Options
    Roxanne - start a new thread with your post and I know you'll get a lot of support, it really does work. It may take a little longer than you like and you may fall off the horse a couple of times, but it's much easier to get back on when you have an entire community rooting for you. Nobody beats you up, and everyone is pretty quick to point it out if you're beating yourself up. Welcome!

Karim

Thanks
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    I was wondering about that myself. I seemed to stall out the past 3 or 4 days, though I've been okay on calories and getting in mild cardio (walking) which is way more than what I used to do. I figured it was the diet Pepsi's I had been slamming at work the past couple of days - that seems to be the only thing that changed. Of course, that meant I didn't drink as much water. I'm thinking you are right on the sodium. I had forgotten about that and figured that the things I had customized in my tracker would alert me to any thing that would adversely affect my weight loss.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I've pasted a portion of a news letter that I receive from anewdirectioncounseling.com in reference to your diet pop question.

This is Your Brain on Chemicals...

In 1987 the Partnership for a Drug-Free America released an incredibly powerful ad campaign known as the "Fried Egg". The voice-over simply said, "This is your brain. This is drugs. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?" The very memorable television ads were repeatedly applauded for their success in conveying the anti-drug message across the United States.

In our previous Mental Health and Wellness newsletter, artificial sweeteners ranked as one of the top poor food choices for our brains. These chemical sugar substitutes (Splenda, Nutra-Sweet, Equal, aspartame, etc.) might as well have their own ad campaign. "This is your brain. This is aspartame. This is your brain on aspartame. Any questions?" Calorie-free chemicals, in my opinion, fully deserve a 'Just Say No' movement complete with t-shirts and classroom lesson plans of their own. The negative health implications of these fake sugars are growing every year they are on the market. Our eyes, kidneys, and brains are being affected in ways that the clever chemical-promoting corporate giants hope that the public will never come to realize. These effects are especially being noted in children and developing fetuses (whose mothers consume sugar-free and diet products).

Truth be known, there is nothing wrong with having a sweet tooth. Our bodies are designed to crave the nutrients that we need. A sugar craving sometimes indicates that we are in need of vitamins found in nature's sweet treats: fresh ripe fruit. When our "sugar receptors" and vitamin-needs are satisfied, the craving subsides and we go on with our day. When those receptors are not filled and vitamin requirements are not met, the craving continues.

Now enter the issue of factory-produced chemicals. Splenda (and the others too) go into our bodies and bypass our "sugar receptors" because on a cellular level these chemicals are not recognized as usable substances. Our vitamin-needs are still not met, sugar receptors remain empty, and guess what... our sugar craving remains stronger than ever. We want more "sweet" so we reach for another can of Diet Pepsi or a sugar-free Jello pudding and start the process all over again. Our brains tell us that we are still hungry even after we eat (hunger is a response to being caloric or nutrient deficient). If we are ingesting no nutrients and fake sugars, we are literally starving ourselves and creating an environment of constant hunger.

So today take a step in the right direction: If you drink soda, make it the real stuff and not diet. If you crave sweet, reach for an apple, grapes, or any fresh fruit that sounds good. When we feed our brains and bodies with non-chemical nutrition, we will inevitably eat less calories and we will truly get some satisfaction. It's interesting...the Rolling Stones could never seem to get satisfied. I wonder if they had perhaps consumed a few too many diet colas?

Submitted by:
    Kristy Robinson, Nutrition Educator
    kristy.robinson@gmail.com
    (866)304-3183