When do I stop calling myself "BIG"??

Options
scorpiotwinkles
scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
:happy: Just a thought, I still refer to myself as a big girl. I am still overweight but when I see photos I can see I look more "normal" sized. When can I stop referring to BIG?? :smile:

Replies

• Captainobvvious
    Captainobvvious Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Now would be a good start.

If you think you still have weight to lose that's great but I would never call you "big"
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine says that it is easy to heal our bodies and make them what we want, the hard part is healing our minds. There is much truth in that, funny when I was really really really fat, i never thought of myself as very fat, now that i have lost over 100lbs it is hard to think of myself as anything but fat.
  • LuckyCheryl
    LuckyCheryl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Your picture says you can stop. Great job, you look wonderful. Keep up the good work!:smile:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

If you think you still have weight to lose that's great but I would never call you "big"

Ditto! You are not. You look great!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've been right at or just above my goal weight for over a year, and it's still a mental struggle sometimes. I wear a size 4 now (started at a 14-16) which is NOT big, but it's hard to think of myself as "small". I am, and it's all mental, but it's hard. It will come with time. Make sure you're dressing your new body well so you can feel it and see it when you pass a mirror. That really helps me, not wearing oversized clothes. I shop Goodwill a lot so I don't spend a fortune (especially if you're not quite where you want to be yet) but I recommend wearing the correct size. It's hard to change your mind about something you've been for 20 years. You'll get there. Just remember how hard you've worked and how far you've come!!!! You look amazing, and you've lost almost 100 pounds!!!! That's AWESOME!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Immediately. The messages we give ourselves can be very damaging. I still battle body image stuff - if you wait for perfection before you stop labeling yourself, you've got a long, long wait.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You are lovely and I really appreciate your comments. It is very hard to get used to my new body (in my mind) but I am gradually getting used to who I see in the mirror and who I am in my head.
    I will respect the mirror and continue with the weightlifting!

ETA - I am not "fishing" I genuinely wanted to know!
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congrats on feeling more comfortable in your own skin! It takes a lot to get to this point of contemplation because of all the mental blocks... especially if you've been "big" for an extended period of time. I'd drop the label altogether and just rock being "normal".
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    a friend of mine says that it is easy to heal our bodies and make them what we want, the hard part is healing our minds. There is much truth in that, funny when I was really really really fat, i never thought of myself as very fat, now that i have lost over 100lbs it is hard to think of myself as anything but fat.

I absolutely agree with this. In my head, I'm still my starting weight. Our bodies can loose fat so much faster than our brains can come to terms with our new size. It's tough. I'd said that's the hardest thing about loosing weight, waiting for your mind to catch up to your body.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think now really. You've lost an amazing amount of weight `and look great.
    Have the confidence for the new small you now. :flowerforyou: xxx
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Since you can't go back and stop calling yourself BIG yesterday I would say 'NOW'.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    NOW...right this moment ... xlnt work on your body ... now start on your mind :flowerforyou:
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think we are hardest on ourselves.... A year or so ago I went from 305 to 223 and felt 'small' and 'light' but then I would look in the mirror and it would reflect a big girl.... sigh... I am hoping to break that 200 mark and start feeling normal again...
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Agreed. Naturally without training I'm like a stick insect. I still see myself a stick.

Its hard to adjust the minds POV when you were that way for such a long time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am still not halfway to my goal, but I am "swimming" in my clothes, so that makes me feel smaller. Yesterday, I wore smaller clothes that actually fit me, and it made me feel big because I could see my stomach pooching. I can tell that I am smaller, but I am still too big. So it's certainly relative. So I am calling myself "smaller." :bigsmile:
  • katweeks63
    Options
    You have done an amazing thing! You look great! A positive attitude is everything! Stop calling yourself fat! You are NOT!

When my first child was born my father told me to never call him a bad child, even if he did something bad, I should never call him bad because your words have power and he would live up to what I said to/about him.

The same applies to you! Say nothing but positive! "I am thin! My body looks great!" You can have what you say!

"By the words of your mouth you are justified, and by the words of your mouth you are condemned." >> Matthew 12:37

Don't condemn yourself any more! You are thin!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

^^
    Or when people get annoyed with you for doing that. A friend of mine (who is not big, but used to be) does that a lot...It would be nice if she stopped.

You look amazing. You're not big. I think it would be self sabotage to keep referring to yourself with such a word.
  • EricThurstin
    Options
    now.