Pins and Needles help?

Options
Hey all,

For a while now I have been suffering annoying spells of pins and needles. If I sit still too long I get it in my legs and when I'm asleep, I often wake up needing to actually move my left arm with my right, in order to get the feeling back - it's completely dead.
Now nothing has changed with how I sit or sleep. I can only logically relate it to weight loss/ fitness. I'm pretty slim (BMI 18.5 ish) and lean (body fat % approx 15%). My BP used to be 120/70 but is now 100/55. I work out almost every day and have a good fitness level (think running/ P90X/ Ripped in 30 kinda level).

Does anyone else experience this.... like every day? Is it due to poor circulation? Or just that my nerves/ blood vessels are nearer the surface and thus more likely to be affected by pressure on them? Or something else?

Replies

• chanice11
    chanice11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also have always been able to get pins and needles very easily. I looked into it years ago, and found that it is common for a lot of people. I have pretty low blood pressure (95/55), and get cold quickly in my hands and feet.

I haven't seen any changes, even though I have been getting very fit recently.
  • LEC1978
    LEC1978 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe a pinched nerve or something in your neck? I was having pins and needles that snowballed into an almost consistently "dead asleep" arm. An MRI found I had some significant spinal cord compression, which P/T (mostly neck and shoulder stretches) helped enormously.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I would wonder if you're getting spinal or circulatory compression from something in your workout.

If it were your lower body, I'd worry about your posture and spine. My eldest son is very, very slim and has NO fat on his bottom to speak of. It is painful to sit and he does get odd compression points that lead to numbness and discomfort.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    it can also be a sign of low potassium. the meds i used to take stripped potassium and until i switched, my doctor warned me to watch out for that sensation.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    sounds like low potassium or low magnesium have you tried epsom salt bath to see if it helps?
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    No I haven't looked into those, thanks I'll check it out xx