Taking a Break from Running?

Options
Hello!

I've been running for almost a year now. I started with the C25K program and have run several 5ks this past year and I really enjoy it. However, the last few weeks I have been forcing myself to go. I don't look forward to it like I used to. I'm considering doing the 30DS for a different workout and to lose some inches, but it worries me to go without running because it's been my weight loss exercise all this time.

But anytime I think of having to run the same neighborhood (I've tried others but there are dogs and I'm not close to a trail) or getting on the treadmill I just cringe. What do you guys think? I want to take a couple weeks break, do the 30DS and then come back to running.

Replies

• PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    When I took a break from running to do plyometrics & other cardio I actually came back stronger and found a new love for running. We can plateau at any exercise, not just in advancement but in pleasure. As you said " I don't look forward to it like I used to"
    We all have those days when we say "Damn I don't know if I want to do this anymore" but when the days stretch to weeks then thats a good sign we need to change up.

30DS sounds fun:happy:
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Do what keeps you happiestand motivated. If you aren't enjoying it; you'll get bored and quit. Add some variety and you will be just fine. :)
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I say there is nothing wrong with taking a break. I ran a marathon a month ago, and haven't really been running much since then. I may take it easier until things warm up a bit up here in the Northeast.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Take the break! Good luck!
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Never hurts to change things up ever now and then.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I worry about the same thing with my most frequent workout...what happens when I get bored? Will I lose all that I have gained, fitness wise?

I wouldn't force yourself to run because you'll become more and more burnt out. I think 30DS is a great idea...shake it up, try something new! You'll be back to running eventually, I'm sure, you just need a break (or a change in scenery). I got this way with my walking. I was training for the Breast Cancer 3 Day and had a route I took every single morning. This was a few years ago...I walked the dog on that route last week and I was cringing...literally cringing. I couldn't bring myself to walk her again along that route; I was just SO BORED with it, haha:)

Good luck!!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you are not having fun running then you should take a break from it and do something else in its place. I must admit that I have not yet tired of running the same neighborhood and try to get out at least 4 or 5 times a week with weights and eliptical on the off days. But if I were to get to a point where I really didn't want to run I would stop for a while. You can definitely lose weight and inches through other forms of exercise and I have found over time that switching things up always works well in terms of keeping my attitutde about the workouts positive. My guess is that after you haven't run for a few weeks you will start wanting to again but maybe at a different level... Best of luck!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have had to take a break from running for a while, but not by choice. I had surgery so I am going to have to ease back into it but I have noticed that I have a different appreciation for running now that I am not able to do it.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My love for running wanes back and forth. I've gone a few months with only a few months only to come back and love it greatly.

It is fine to find other activities to do that you enjoy doing more. Running will always be there if you come back. You won't be where you were when you stop but you won't have to start all over either.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I know that it makes sense to take a break, but it's just that fear of losing what I've accomplished with running. I run 5ks with a friend and I'm already slower than her, I don't want to make myself any slower :) I love the idea of taking a break and coming back stronger.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My love for running wanes back and forth. I've gone a few months with only a few months only to come back and love it greatly.

It is fine to find other activities to do that you enjoy doing more. Running will always be there if you come back. You won't be where you were when you stop but you won't have to start all over either.

This is me too.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a break. That doesn't mean you can't come back again. It's a good idea to switch things up now and then anyway. Gives your body and mind a rest and provides some fresh new challenges at the same time. :flowerforyou:
  • pabscabs
    pabscabs Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep running and be miserable........ only joking :happy:

If it's not floating your boat anymore try something new. Once it's exercise you'll still burn the calories, maybe more if you find something you really enjoy.