Male&Female Heavy lifters and Body builder types. . .

Options
How did you get your start/ Learn your tricks and moves? I am so eager to learn, but I am really on my own with it (did finally get the basic moves of a dead lift though!) Would like to hear how you got started and what kind of things you do now :)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i started free weights when i was 18 and played rugby. before that we only did machines when i played soccer in high school

at that time i was on the underweight side and ended up as a fluke playing a position (prop) where the average size was someone at least 30 pounds heavier than me, so i had to quickly make up a lot of weight or A LOT of strength .

our coaches played with the philadelphia men's rugby team, so they were fans of strength training, olympic lifts, powerlifting and mark rippetoe. during season my weight lifting was focused more strength moves using compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, bb rows as well as working on explosive power with things like heavy snatches and sprinting with a coach on my back :laugh:

off season my goal was to gain mass so i'd do more isolation exercises for hypertrophy, less weight but more reps.

at the moment i'm doing compound moves and oly lifts while i lose weight. my favorite lifts are snatches and deadlifts
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    To an extent, I learned from family (2 sisters are PFT's & BIL is PFT & master nutritionist), but truth be told, they didn't really help me, I learned from listening to what they would tell other people.

Most of my "moves" come from workout DVD's (from yoga, tai-chi, circuit training & my own martial arts & ballet background from when I was a kid), watching people at the gym, or pulling up vids on YouTube. It wasn't easy at first, although where there is a will there is a way.

If you're female, the FIRM DVD's are actually pretty good, Jillian Michaels is good (I just can't stand her voice!), you can increase your weights as you need in any DVD & adding yoga in is essential, IMPO (check out Cameron Shanes Budokon Yoga - this has given me more strength that weight lifting alone!).
    There is also a couple books geared toward weight lifting - check out Amazon for whats out there (read the reviews before you buy!!).

Good luck in your building quest - it's so worth it to be strong & fit and more importantly healthy!!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I played football(basketball, tennis, baseball, and track in HS).

We basically did 6 years of starting strength/strong lifts starting at 12 years old.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Are you a male or female? I followed a book/ program called New Rules of Lifting for Women and it was very helpful!
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    How did you get your start/ Learn your tricks and moves? I am so eager to learn, but I am really on my own with it (did finally get the basic moves of a dead lift though!) Would like to hear how you got started and what kind of things you do now :)

This is a long road to walk. There is a lot to know. The articles on T-Nation and forums on Bodybuilding.com are good places to haunt for information. The book Starting Strength is a very good place to start for form and movements. A few names to look up for solid info/advice: Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, Bill Starr, Louie Simmons

I'm currently running a hybrid routine of P.H.A.T. and 5/3/1. I use 5/3/1 sets for strength and progress fit into the mold of P.H.A.T.s programming.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

This is a long road to walk. There is a lot to know. The articles on T-Nation and forums on Bodybuilding.com are good places to haunt for information. The book Starting Strength is a very good place to start for form and movements. A few names to look up for solid info/advice: Mark Rippetoe, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, Bill Starr, Louie Simmons

I'm currently running a hybrid routine of P.H.A.T. and 5/3/1. I use 5/3/1 sets for strength and progress fit into the mold of P.H.A.T.s programming.
    You have combined two different programs. Good luck with seeing any results.

To the op, you only learn by lifting. Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great program to start off with.
  • wmagoo27
    Options

To the op, you only learn by lifting. Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great program to start off with.

Not entirely. I'm using the set/rep scheme from 5/3/1 for my strength sets instead of sets accross. I'm seeing continued progress on bench, whereas before I kept stalling out, and I don't need to deload as often. I've been doing this for about a month and a half now. I'll give it another 4 or 5 and reevaluate for progress. I may go back to strict 5/3/1 programming.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Not entirely. I'm using the set/rep scheme from 5/3/1 for my strength sets instead of sets accross. I'm seeing continued progress on bench, whereas before I kept stalling out, and I don't need to deload as often. I've been doing this for about a month and a half now. I'll give it another 4 or 5 and reevaluate for progress. I may go back to strict 5/3/1 programming.
    What are you doing to compensate for the hypo trophy work?
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

i have used both New Rules of Lifting for Women and Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer (via BodyBuilding.com) and both have nice introductory stages that get you used to the moves/lifting. I had a couple of free PT sessions when I joined the gym and used those to be shown the machines/free weights and some basic moves, I work out on my own and these helped a lot with my confidence. I love lifting :heart:
  • wmagoo27
    Options

What are you doing to compensate for the hypo trophy work?

The base of the program is still P.H.A.T. Upper strength, Lower strength, rest, back/shoulders, legs, chest/arms. My squat and deadlift were doing fine, but I kept stalling out on bench, so I changed out the rep scheme on my primary strength lifts. Everything else is still P.H.A.T., including all of Norton's hypertrophy days. It's a small tweak, and it forces me to do 3 week waves to work with the progression scheme of 5/3/1, but so far...so good.
  • Wolverine13ft
    Wolverine13ft Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Search the internet, lots of good advice and even more bad advice. Find an article or program you like and follow it till you stop improving or your goals change. To learn the tricks of lifting "heavy" find someone who does that type of lifting in your area and try to get to know them. I drive an hour to lift with a lifting club to train and learn. For the most part I lift on my own so I had to slowly get or make my own equipment. But the advice and support of other like minded lifters can keep you going when most people don't understand your desire to lift "heavy"
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This is all good info. I'm a science major with a minor in college and don't have much free time for "searching" which is why I came to y'all for advice. I do lift on the heavier end for my size (I'm approx 105lbs give or take water lol) and do mainly free weights isolation. I don't know many compound moves…