What differences does WATER make?

Options

Replies

• SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My skin feels alot better if i have two litres a day and also don't get as many headaches. I will say it never makes me feel "fuller".

x
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    you just feel better, more hydrated, my skin feels better, and it seems not to be a dry and flaky during the cold months.
  • topgals
    topgals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP I realised I was only drinking 5 cups a day, so I bought a MASSIVE cup that holds 2 cups worth of fluid, therefore doubling my fluid intake to 10 cups, rarely get hungry now, must have been thirst I was mistaking for hunger!! :-)
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The only noticeable differences for me have been clearer urine (a healthier sign, it used to be dark!) and less/no cramps. I used to get cramp in my legs really bad and I havent had any in 2 months since i've been drinking lots of water.

I never used to like anything that wasnt flavoured! Now I tell my son to drink it because its just like juice but without the flavour :D
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    For the record - not seen anything to suggest that squash or other 'flavoured' water is any less 'good for you' than drinking water alone.

Sure, if it's got drugs in (caffeine), or a lot of calories (sugar), or something you're allergic to (artificial sweeteners, peanuts, bees) then that's going to change things!

But otherwise, seen nothing to suggest that there is any difference between drinking a pint of water alone and eating a little bit of low calorie orange stuff and having it mixed in as an orange drink.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ....rarely get hungry now, must have been thirst I was mistaking for hunger!! :-)

I think that this is often overlooked by those who aren't thinking about what they eat, and I've found that with drinking more water, I definitely lose those sudden snack cravings. It fills you up, but only enough to see you through to your next meal... Which is awesome. :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I sip water all day long. By the end of the day I'm at 12-13 cups (3 litres or more). I find that I'm not hungry as often as I would have been without water.
    I pee lots, and my skin and hair feel a lot better

BUT I'm ALWAYS cold now!!
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I notice when I don't drink enough that I tend to feel bloated. If I am not making tons of bathroom breaks, then I know I am not drinking enough water.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I read a few threads with people saying how much of a difference water makes and that they even notice "differences" once they increase their water intake. Can I get more specific answers - What do you notice that is so different once you drink more water?

I switched to drinking just water, and occasionally green tea. But on days when I don't drink 8 glasses, I haven't noticed anything different, except maybe thirst.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Beside helping me not be hungry I find that that every since I started drinking at least 3 16 oz bottles of water a day the bottom of my feet are no longer razor sharp but are much softer now
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    my lips aren't severely chapped now

I hate water though, it hurts my throat and makes me feel bloated. wonder if I can replace it with green tea entirely.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Peeing a ton is for noobs. You all know that right? That after a few weeks the body regulates the high water intake (actually if you're drinking a gallon thats the CORRECT water intake) and the peeing slows down. Since all my life Im a water drinker I often have to think back to tons of peeing. Even pregnant I could go 6 or more hours with no bathroom break. So keep drinking and watch that slow down.

If you want to say you have been drinking a gallon for a long time and still peeing too much- Id guess you're not doing it daily- so the body isnt all the way on board with it.

As for benefits- TONS- that usually can be felt immediately- causing people to stick to the new water habit.
    Skin looks better, organs function better, more alert, less head aches, joints move freer, get sick less often etc.

Ive heard from others their allergies lessen and they sleep better- tho - Ive never had these problems so cant say myself.

Being completely hydrated at ALL times makes a ton of difference in over all health. It really cant be felt in 1 consistent week of drinking nothing but water- not tons of diuretics to suck the water back out- JUST WATER.

ETA: I truly believe a lot of aches, pains and complains of ppl (especially over 40) are due to poor nutrition and/or lack of hydration. They think aches and head aches are their lot in life. They think bloat, heartburn and back pain are just "what happens" when we age. They think its 'normal' to 'break down' over the years. NOT SO SOON! Please! Drink up, work out, eat right- aging CAN be slowed down and harm to the body from years of dehydration and poor nutrition can be reversed. DO NOT give in to the piss -poor feeling you have and just accept it as normal "for your age" or condition or whatever- YOU CAN be better! Believe!
  • amberdragonfire
    Options
    Supposedly you are going to reach a point where you dont pee as frequently - you just pee MORE when you do go. A personal trainer I had years ago told me that. I have yet to personally actually reach that point where I am not peeing too frequently, so I think he may have been lying to me.....the same trainer told me that you can reach a "runners high" which somehow makes jogging a joyful event. I have not personally ever reached THAT point either.
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When water intake is increase there is a lack of headache, edginess, aches, pains, soreness, and a giant plethora or other things. Just do it and you will feel it.
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I sip water all day long. By the end of the day I'm at 12-13 cups (3 litres or more). I find that I'm not hungry as often as I would have been without water.
    I pee lots, and my skin and hair feel a lot better

I'd second all of these - I cant keep any body temperature these days...never thought of 2L+ of water could be part of it though
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Supposedly you are going to reach a point where you dont pee as frequently - you just pee MORE when you do go. A personal trainer I had years ago told me that. I have yet to personally actually reach that point where I am not peeing too frequently, so I think he may have been lying to me.....the same trainer told me that you can reach a "runners high" which somehow makes jogging a joyful event. I have not personally ever reached THAT point either.

Yes, I am at that point. I drink about 100oz a day and only pee about 5 or 6 times a day now. I think there is truth to that. Also, I've experienced the "runners high" but only once. It was after a Tabata class and I decided to go walk on the treadmill. I walked faster, harder, and longer than I ever have. I haven't been able to do it since. It felt amazing and would love to do it again.
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did it for about a week. Peeing 20 times a day wasn't worth it and I felt no difference, just more frustrated. Now I drink as I can and want to.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Biggest difference - you go from peeing twice a day to about 200

Only the first week. Once your body has flushed itself (if you continue to drink water) you'll go back to normal. I don't find myself peeing any more often now than I did before water. (I drink 64 oz/day).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Been drinking a lot and peeing a lot for some time.
    I do wonder if I've developed a weeker bladder over the years of working in an office.
    Thankfully, as a man, it's easily achieved :).

But I may well drink more than many - I've always drunk quite a bit as it is, which may be why I didn't notice any differences upping fluid intake.
  • bellaburch85
    Options

Yes i can relate to that - i had to buy a hot water bottle to have around me at work! :)