Diabetes question # carbs per day

Options
If you are a Type II diabetic and have excellent glucose control (a1c less than 6), how many carbs do you limit yourself to per day? There were a lot of varying recommendations on the web, and for now I'm choosing 200 because it's somewhere in the middle. I am 5' 11" and currently eat about 1500 calories per day,

Thanks for sharing your perspective,
Danielle

Replies

• MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 and although my A1C is a little over 6, not by much. My answer to your carb question is - There are Carbs and there are Carbs. I shoot for under 200 a day, but to me, the carbs in broccoli and not the same as carbs in a piece of Wonder Bread - know what I mean? Go for the nutrients and the fiber and don't worry so much about the carb count. If you ate 200 carbs of simple "white" foods, you would not be doing yourself any favors, but if you ate 200 carbs of broccoli, apples, quinoa, etc., you would be much better off. And spread the carbs out through the day - not all at once.

Good luck!
  • Andybeth
    Andybeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am Type II diabetic also. My A1c has been below 6 for the last year and a half, with diet and exercise. My doctor sent me to a diabetic nutrionist. She gave e a diet of about 1500 cal a day and I try to keep to the percentages from that. It 45% Carbs (169 gm), 20% protein (75gm) and 35% total fat (58gm) so that's how I set my food goals. I try to stay close to those percentages.
  • DanielleMN
    DanielleMN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you! This is helpful.

Best,
    Danielle
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine under 150g.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The best thing would be to ask a doctor. Each person is different on what they need. However... to still answer your question.

I try to keep mine under 200. My calorie goal is 1500 a day. Keeping carbs at 45% of the calories for a day, It puts me at 169. Somedays I go over. Somedays I don't even reach that. The main thing though, as someone above posted, let your carbs come from whole grain items, fruit, and quinoa. All natural sources with good nutrients. That is what will make the biggest difference.

I was diagnosed with Type II on March 4, 2011... with an A1C at about 6.4. My last A1C reading, at the beginning of November, was 5.1.

ETA: Also... spread your carbs throughout the day. Try to stay around 30 to 60 a meal.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My A1c is 6.1 and I was recently taken offf my insulin. I was taking Novolog before each meal and Humulin at night. I limit my carb intake to 30-60g per meal. I've also been on a 1700 calorie per day goal and stick to it as best I can. I don't get into choosing where my carbs come from...I just count them and have been starting to exercise regularly. Good luck!

I was diagnosed back in Oct. 2010, with an A1c of 16.3...my cholesterol was at 975. As of Oct. 2012 I've dropped my A1c to 6.1 and cholesterol to 114. Don't give up...you can manage this disease!
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Apparently alot of diabetics have awesome results on the LCHF diet. Which basically says to get ALL your carbs from vegetables and fullfat dairy. Little to no grains or roots and no sugar.

Dunno if you're at all interested, but here's a link with lots of info:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

[EDIT]:
    I found a page that was specifically about diabetes on their swedish page, but I couldn't find it in english, so here it is through google translate, if you're interested.
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http://www.kostdoktorn.se/diabetes/
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I do better when I keep it under 40 per day and most of that in leafy green veggies, cheese, and eggs.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I am Type 2, and have 90 carbs a day, no matter the type, from veggies or grains. I am working with my Endocrinologist and dietician. With my healthy diet and weight loss this year, I was able to discontinue a medication.

My strong recommendation is to work with your doctor and a dietician that is well versed in diabetes to get the right balance for you.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Type 2 Diabetic here and my a1c is 7 down from 12....I average 250 a day. I try my best to get my carbs from fruits and veggies. Not breads and starches...I eat when I'm hungry and drink plenty of water. I wish you the best of luck...
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My body works best at 40% (under 200g) per day. I am currently not taking insulin or pills as my A1c is 4.8 - diet and exercise have worked for me.

Majority of my carb intake is dairy, vegetables and fruit. I'm even able to enjoy some treats every so often (like candy or slice of cake) without any drastic spikes/drops.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do better when I keep it under 40 per day and most of that in leafy green veggies, cheese, and eggs.

Watch the eggs. I was eating 1 egg each morning... and since the beginning of September, my cholesterol went from 173, to 192. Eggs are full of cholesterol. I've definitely cut back on them. Still enjoy them... but, just not as much.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Watch the eggs. I was eating 1 egg each morning... and since the beginning of September, my cholesterol went from 173, to 192. Eggs are full of cholesterol. I've definitely cut back on them. Still enjoy them... but, just not as much.
    I wouldn't pin your cholesterol numbers on the eggs. The main cause of high cholesterol is too much saturated fat and not enough good fats (fish oil, nuts, etc.).
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a good primal/paleo cookbook. Not paying attention to the science behind the diet, just know that the diet has no grain, legume and sugar, so all the recipes are very low on the glycemic index. There are some very tasty recipes and I have been using it for over a year and have great results. My carb intake is all veggie or fruit carbs, and I tend to keep it below 100g total. I can lose weight at that level and keep my insulin levels steady!
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    My A1c is 6.1 and I was recently taken offf my insulin. I was taking Novolog before each meal and Humulin at night. I limit my carb intake to 30-60g per meal. I've also been on a 1700 calorie per day goal and stick to it as best I can. I don't get into choosing where my carbs come from...I just count them and have been starting to exercise regularly. Good luck!

I was diagnosed back in Oct. 2010, with an A1c of 16.3...my cholesterol was at 975. As of Oct. 2012 I've dropped my A1c to 6.1 and cholesterol to 114. Don't give up...you can manage this disease!

Amazing job! You must be so proud to have accomplished so much!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II in August and sent on a nutrition for diabetics course. There the focus was on not spiking your blood glucose during the day.

First strategy is to limit carb intake to 50 grams at any one sitting. Second leg of the strategy is to choose low glycemic index carbs and avoid the high glycemic index ones which release glucose quickly into the blood stream. Glucose and white bread are very high glycemic index. Low ones are rye, barley and sweet potato. Rice, potatoes, oats, wholegrain bread and pasta fall somewhere in between. But I guess you should google this for specifics.
  • DanielleMN
    DanielleMN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful!