Irish Dinner Ideas

Options
suejonestx
suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
Anyone have an idea for a low-cal, easy dinner with an Irish flair? It's St. Patrick's Day afterall! (are you wearing green???) :)

Replies

• omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    from what my neighbor made for us a few years ago, i would say roast beef, some type of potato side, and irish coffee

haha i'm sorry for how completely useless that is

happy st. patty's day non-the-less!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I am wearing 2 t-shirts today. The one I wore to gym says Everyone Loves an Irish Girl, and the one I'll change in to says Irish Girls Have More Fun. Both have green!

We are having bangers & champ (sausage & potatoes) for dinner, followed by homemade shamrock shakes :)
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you are not up to making the whole corned beef and cabbage meal which you could yield 1 serving (5oz meat and 1 cup veggies) for 340 calories....you can visit the deli for lean corned beef and improvise!! Gotta wear green, gotta eat IRISH!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    btw, my bangers & champ dinner is less than 300 calories, and kid friendly, and will only take 10 mins to fix. You can't beat that! Go out and get some sausage & taters, precious!

The shake counts as dessert... completely separate meal from dinner, LOL. It's only 300 cals, too (take that, McDonalds!)
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    btw, my bangers & champ dinner is less than 300 calories, and kid friendly, and will only take 10 mins to fix. You can't beat that! Go out and get some sausage & taters, precious!

The shake counts as dessert... completely separate meal from dinner, LOL. It's only 300 cals, too (take that, McDonalds!)
    . Couldyou post your recipe for bangers and champ? Is it the same as bangers and mashed?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    pretty much. If you can't afford sausage, spring for hot dogs which are less than $1. You can split the sausages and throw them on a grill/griddle/frying pan or boil them and cook through. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to the champ. Take some potatoes, throw em in the microwave for 10 mins. I know champ is mashed potatoes, but we just make nuked baked potatoes. Cut up potato, put a pat of butter or whatever on, mash it all up. Enjoy with your sausage.
    We are having sausages with cheese in them tonight. Yum!
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this recipe, but I got an email from HG today for her Shamrock 'n' Roll Shake. It looks pretty yummy to me :smile: Here's the website http://hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=1698 Btw, it only has 176 calories, compared to McDonalds 420 cal shake. If you try it lemme know how it turns out! Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Healthier than mine which consists of 1 cup Dreyers Slow Churned Mint Cookie Crunch & 1 cup almond breeze. I don't know how much mine will make though. Somewhere between 8 oz & 16 oz. Will let you know.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    so my shake ended up yielding 16 oz of deliciousness for only 300 cals. I think that beat both McDonalds and the Hungry Girl :)
  • gadgetgizzmo
    Options
    Ooh that shake sounds yummy. I'll have to try it.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    it was, and so easy! I mean what's easier than throwing 2 cups of ice cream in with 2 cups of creamy, milk-like liquid into a blender and pressing the frappe button?

If you only have 8 oz of it, making it with almond milk, it's only 150 cals.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I know it is after the fact, but we had bangers and colcannon, which is like mashed potatoes & cabbage. It was so very yummy!