p90x and no weight loss...what am i doing wrong?!

Options
i did p90x for about a year and i managed to get down to my goal weight of 125 pounds. now i am back where i started at 145 pounds, and i restarted p90x 2 weeks ago hoping to get back to my old body. i am eating perfectly clean and doing the workouts hard (burnng 600-700 per workout) and i am eating 50/30/20 like the program says. i have been doing it for about 2 weeks now, starting week 3 today and i have not seen any weight loss...!!! I do not know what i am doing wrong. i eat around 1650 calories a day...is that the wrong number?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You could be eating too little, I would say figure out your TDEE (from one of the numerous calculators) with moderate activity and use that number with a 15% cut(forgot that part). Also how long off did you have from p90x, your body maybe getting used to some of the moves even though it does switch every month.
    Lastly 2-3 weeks might not be enough time for your body to start letting weight go, you will want to make sure your eating clean like you said, following the macro's and eating enough to fuel your workouts.
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some people have no WEIGHT loss, but do have FAT loss. Don't focus on the scale, especially as you are only 2 weeks through.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I agree with tomcat941. I went about 6 months trading fat and muscle and saw no movement on the scale yet my clothes were hanging on me & people were making numerous comments about how tiny I was getting. Hang in there, the scale is just a number. It doesn't represent body mass or body fat percentage. Take measurements & pics and see how your clothes fit differently, maybe then you can see your actual progress instead of a number on a scale that honestly doesn't mean much with muscle mass :flowerforyou:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Some people have no WEIGHT loss, but do have FAT loss. Don't focus on the scale, especially as you are only 2 weeks through.

P90X + 1650 cals... fat loss = weight loss. She's not building muscle that fast.

to the OP... Are you netting or grossing 1650 cals?
    My first guess is that you're not accurately measuring/logging food. Second guess is an unreliable scale. Third guess is to eat more.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Give it time to start working. In the beginning stages of any NEW work out regime, you don't drop weight like flies. It takes a while for your body to get accustomed to what you're doing. 2-3 weeks is not long enough.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Give it some time, you are only 2 weeks into the program and your body is still adjusting to you lifting and doing a new workout. Just make sure you are eating enough and are pushing hard through the last few reps to get the most out of every workout.
    Drink extra water to try and help flush out any excess retention you might have.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    You could be eating too little, I would say figure out your TDEE (from one of the numerous calculators) with moderate activity and use that number

Agreed.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I did it for 45 days with no results whatsoever, no weight loss, clothes didn't fit any better, didn't feel any better, NOTHING!

Needless to say, I stopped the program and moved on to something else. Everyone else I know that did P90x had great results, but not me.

Just remember, the back of the box says that "RESULTS MAY VARY"!
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options

P90X + 1650 cals... fat loss = weight loss. She's not building muscle that fast.

My first guess is that you're not accurately measuring/logging food. Second guess is an unreliable scale. Third guess is to eat more.

^This. My suggestion is to up your calories to at least 1850-1900 so you net 1200 or above.
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are other reasons despite muscle gain that will lead to an increase in the scale.

How often are you weighing, and is it the same time each day? My weight varies by 2 pounds in a day, so if you're weighing at different times that could be a reason. Also, are you going to be on your TOM soon? That leads to an icnrease in 2 lbs the week before. Also, p90x often doesn't lead to drastic weight loss straight away. I have friends who actually gained weight during the program, but dropped about 2 dress sizes.
    Plus, an exercise program like P90x tends to lead to water retention which doesn't help with the scale. Although, the scale is not accurate. It's better to take picture and do measurement instead.
  • semousse
    semousse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I must say that this is a topic that I can relate to because I am in week 2 of my workout, but I was 200lbs when I started. I weighed-in 11/19 and I was 184.2; however, I personally believe it was from the increase in water because before this I couldn't remember the last time I even drunk water, then again it could have been from starting P90x either way although I have lost pounds I can't physically tell a difference. I know that is going to take some time for me, but you have done this workout before and you know that it will give you the results you are seeking by the end. Me on the other hand it's all new and plus I don't follow the eating guidelines I eat in moderation, but I don't follow the Shreddrer phases and all that, but if after the 30dys I don't see any results I am going to have to follow the guidelines for the next 30 days I feel you have to do what works best for you. I think that you are stressing because the results are not coming to your eyes fast enough, but in due time it will. That's all I have to hold on to and to know you was successful your first time it makes me as a beginner very hopeful.......... KEEP PRESSING PLAY remember
  • lillyrezaee
    lillyrezaee Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I am grossing 1650 calories. i think i am measuring/logging food properly. i have the food scale and all. i am really strict with that. What do you think my calorie intake should be?
  • lillyrezaee
    Options
    my question is: will upping calories to 1800 cause gains??
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I am grossing 1650 calories. i think i am measuring/logging food properly. i have the food scale and all. i am really strict with that. What do you think my calorie intake should be?

Then you definitely need to be eating more. Grossing 1650 cals and burning 600-700 per workout means you're only netting ~1000 cals daily.

I'd gross 2000 cals on workout days. The first few days you might see a SLIGHT increase as your body adjusts, though it shouldn't be much if you really are eating clean (at least by most people's standards of what eating clean is) as water retention shouldn't change dramatically. After a week or so you're body should adjust and you'll be set.
  • lillyrezaee
    Options

Then you definitely need to be eating more. Grossing 1650 cals and burning 600-700 per workout means you're only netting ~1000 cals daily.

I'd gross 2000 cals on workout days. The first few days you might see a SLIGHT increase as your body adjusts, though it shouldn't be much if you really are eating clean (at least by most people's standards of what eating clean is) as water retention shouldn't change dramatically. After a week or so you're body should adjust and you'll be set.

ok thanks!! how much do you think i should be eating? im 5'2 and 18 years old. is 1700 good? or go higher?
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options

ok thanks!! how much do you think i should be eating? im 5'2 and 18 years old. is 1700 good? or go higher?

if you gross 1700 cals then you are only netting 1050-1150 cals.....try grossing 2000 cals. that should put you at around 1400-1500 net. There is no "one size fits all" to this. You'll have to keep tweaking until you find what's right for you.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

As I said, I'd start out by grossing 2000 cals on workout days. That's still only 1300-1400 net, which is fairly low... but start there and see what happens.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options

This.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

This.

If they are losing fat, why isn't the scale changing?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Put aside weight scale. Pick up measuring tape.