I miss burritos

Options
2»

Replies

• themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and the recipes everyone! I like the idea of cutting it in thirds... it's like a little baby burrito. Good call.

Also, veggie broth in the beans, another great idea.

And, can't wait to try the rest of the stuff. Mmmmmm....... burritos. They make me happy.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I read you loud and clear! I had a ginormous 1,000 calorie carne asada burrito for lunch today...worth every calorie and mg of sodium lol.

Did we just become best friends?

Sorry... got carried away with the "Step Brothers" quote.

You fully understand me, probably has something to do with the fact that we live in the same city. ;)

hahaha - i thought you were in SD...but then you talked about adding the rice in with the burrito and I started to think you were in OC or LA, since that seems to be where they do that the most (or chipotle)....and I feel you, freakin Tex-Mex is pretty damn annoying when you are travelling and that's all they got!

Speaking of brothers, my brother rocks the El Pastor ---- that's also a badass one...but i convince myself that the carne asada is healthier lol
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bttrflykisses820
    Options
    I just ate a burrito today actually! Isn't that funny.

We have a place called Tijuana Flats here... so i ordered for the "Power lite" menu. which is a list of foods under 500 calories.

So i ordered a whole wheat tortilla with just refried beans and lettuce and it was more or less 400 calories. It was still enjoyable without going over the end in calories... and surprisingly it wasn't that salty!
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    This might help for making your beans "refried" without so so many calories. I always make my beans in the crockpot and then about 1/2 an hour before they are ready I get about 2 tablespoons of lard and melt it in a small sauce pan, once it is all melted I add a couple tablespoons of flour and make a "gravy". I pour it over the beans in the crock pot and it really thickens up the beans. I know I am still using lard and flour, but I am using for an entire crock pot (biggest pot---I think 4 or 6 quart) the amount my grandma would use for just 2 or 3 individual servings. Everyone loves my beans and thinks they are really refried, and I guess they kind of are, but with a lot less lard and flour.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Now I am craaaaaving joey bag o donuts from moe's! Arghhhh what have you done! Luckily i'm back in the UK and can't go get one ha ;)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I do a cheat day or 2 about every 2 weeks. I think it's important to build those in. You can go for the low cal alternatives most of the time but if you want to have your burrito every so often, it wouldn't hurt your efforts.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Since proper Mexican food is all but non-existant in England I've had to teach myself to make my own (California girl - not able to just give it up!!) And I can say that it doesn't take much practice to make your own corn tortillas and they're quite low cal and fat free! You just need masa harina and a tortilla press! Then I just essentially stir fry chicken breast strips, mushrooms, courgettes/zucchini, etc. (low cal veg!) in various seasonings (think along the lines of cumin, garlic, chipotle chilli powder, etc) and a dribble of vegetable oil and voila! Roll them with a bit of low fat sour cream and maybe a thin slice of avocado tossed in lime juice and you've got a pretty healthy dinner!
  • Cmull
    Cmull Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to make chicken is to put boneless skinless chicken breasts in the slow-cooker and add fresh salsa and cook on low all day and then shred. Add to tortillas or on a salad - YUM! and easy too!
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I was never really a burrito fan, but uhhh after the description u just left...I now miss burritos....ummmm i want one like u desscribed lol as my victory meal once all the weight is gone
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to make chicken is to put boneless skinless chicken breasts in the slow-cooker and add fresh salsa and cook on low all day and then shred. Add to tortillas or on a salad - YUM! and easy too!

Good call! I like this idea.