Weightlifting w/o cardio/very little cardio for weightloss

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone has done only strength training or weightlifting for weightloss with no cardio or very little cardio? And what were your results what is everyone's take on this lately I've been reading that there is really not much need for cardio in regards to weightloss. I've thought about cutting out cardio myself and focusing just on lifting and staying within my calories to lose the weight. Any opinions or success stories on this?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    First, it is about what you enjoy. It doesn't matter how effective it is, if you won't stick to it. I do very little traditional cardio(I do crossfit 2-3 times a week, so that includes high intensity weight lifting, which is sorta like cardio) and I do a stronglift 5x5 progam. The only traditional cardio I do is walk to and from my gym and a 10 min job to warm up. The large majority of my workout is heavy lifting, and I've seen much better results than when I was only running a 5k, 4 times a week.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is almost entirely a function of diet.
    Exercise is for fitness.

In any case, lifting while dieting will help preserve lean mass. You should do it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    like others have said weight loss is more about diet than your exercise.

the focus of my workout has always been heavy lifting. honestly when i didnt do cardio and just did lifting i still saw fat loss, but i couldnt run a half mile, which i thought was pretty pathetic. i now do a combo of both because i think it's important to be able to run a mile or 2 straight without feeling like i'm going to pass out once i reach a quarter mile
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said it is more about diet. I do no cardio at all and heavy lift 5 days a week I have lost weight but more importantly lost inches.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I have, results have been fantastic. It would, however, probably be a little harder for women to accomplish, depending on how lean you plan on getting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I weight lift and basically do not cardio - works for me.
  • fdny9943
    fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the minority. I think it is all about exercise first and diet second. I have found that your burn has to be greater than your input to lose weight. That is the plain and simple equation. That is what has worked for me and I know everyone is different and I respect their opinions I do a lot of cardio and some weights (free weights and kettlebell). If I want a slice of pizza I have it but I know what I have to work off in the gym. From my personal perspective I need a lifestyle change not a diet. I don't want to be on a diet for the rest of my life. I just need to make smarter choices and I think I am doing that. Instead of 4-5 slices of pizza I can eat one and be satisfied. If I deny myself then this lifestyle is not going to work for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ i think you are misunderstanding the use of the word diet in this context. diet refer to anything an organism eats, so the fact that you are eating means that you have a diet.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without cardio! As long as you're eating at a caloric defecit and performing a good resistance training regimen, then you'll maintain most of your muscle and see good results.

That said, I find weight loss is much easier when I incorporate cardio. You can eat more food while still losing weight, and if you take your cardio outdoors it can be quite enjoyable. Cardio is also good for your heart!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The weight loss is more a function of diet than anything. When I do more cardio I do tend to feel a little bit leaner but I think that's more a function of dropping water weight than anything.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have tried to "run" for is the presidency. Look where that got me. I hate rapid movement, unless I am consummating an agreement. Giggity,
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.
  • ZoobityBop
    Options
    Everybody's different, you just need to find a happy medium that gives you the best results. But I learned what works best for my body when I read and applied what I learned in the Diet Solution Program. Very insightful and detailed book about our body's specific needs, and also on what sort of routine fits which body type. I highly recommend you check it out, here's a great review that I found on it here: http://fantasticfitnessreviews.com/the-diet-solution-program-review/