Belly

Options
So I came to the realization I carry all my weight on my belly, love handles and lower back. I was warming up on the bike w a hoodie on and was like I look pretty skinny when I looked in mirror next to me. Then I took the hoody off and was like OmG!!! I'm so upset about my belly. Is there a specific diet or workouts I should be doing to get rid of all this belly fat? It's so depressing to me

Replies

• stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, no. You can't target areas for weight loss. As the weigh comes off, eventually even the most stubborn areas will give way. I have a constant battle with my gut as well.
  • 2Y1Y1Z2
    Options
    Same here....I'm down 90 lbs and everything else seems to be trim except my belly which I just want to firm up a bit. I only want to lose another 5 lbs but having trouble with that. I don't want washboard abs, just want the belly a little firmer.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce (no matter what the magazine articles and infommercials say).

The only thing you can do is keep losing weight and/or reducing your body fat percentage. You are genetically programmed to carry extra weight in your midsection. As you keep losing weight, eventually, your midseciton will catch up and you'll lose weight from there too.

Sorry, it sucks, but there's nothing else you can do about it. Keep going!
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    less fats and carbs in your diet will do it
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Eating whole, natural foods will reduce the appearance of your belly. But until the fat is gone, it won't appear flat.
  • midnight333
    Options
    I recently had to go gluten free for headache reasons and found out that that's one of the factors in this fascinating article. I'm so far at 1.5lbs rate loosing a week with a sedentary lifestyle. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/belly
    Much luck to you hope it helps out it's helped me loads. Oh by the way I just ran across this article last night. I've been low carb gluten free about 2 months I may slip up once maybe every other week. Before I do though I think about the excruciating pain I get from a migraine and then I refrain from the grain. :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit in your diet will do it
    Fixed it for you. Eating fat does not make you fat.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I'm not big by any means - but I carry all my weight in my midsection. I use to focus on it A LOT, now I still do, but try not to let it bring me down. I'm starting to really count my caloires (now that I have this wonderful ap on my phone) and I'm still eating per usual, just smaller portions and more veggies and drinking more tea vs. coffee. I'm trying to stick to 2 cups a week - the days I go spinning for that extra push, tea doesn't give me the same kick. Eat a lot of greens - 1/2 an avocado, tons of calories (yes) and a lot of healthy fat, actually helps you lose weight - weird yes, but I've done it. I've always struggled with the belly portion of my body and now that I've been diagnosed with PCOS and I have IBS - I keep fighting the good fight. Best of luck!!!!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    less fats and carbs in your diet will do it

This is a misconception.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i have exactly the same problem and hate it!

even when i was quite slim i still had it. Now trying to use strength training and weights to 'reshape'.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Just keep up the calorie deficit and exercise, that's the only way to reduce body fat. If you haven't already, you may find that adding some resistance training into your routine can help reshape your body - even if you don't "lift heavy." Circuit training has really seemed to help for me!