30 Day Shred Question

Options
I just did my second day of the 30DS. And holy crap I'm sore. Bad sore. I did day 1 on Monday and waited to do day 2 today. Do you work through the pain and do it every day or do it every other day? I know I'm going to do mine every other day until I adjust. I guess my main question is how sore were you when you first started?

Replies

• mrsmoore213
    mrsmoore213 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on my third Jillian DVD. She is tough, but she is amazing. I just began level 4 of the ripped in 30 DVD and it is tough, and I understand the soreness. I have found, however, that taking a day off in between only increases the soreness. Getting those muscles moving the next day actually may make you feel better. Also, I have found that I stay on each level for at least a week. That helps my body get used to it. If you only spend a day on each, you will never become stronger at any level. I feel sore today, and probably will tomorrow. But I will also say that I have lost more weight since beginning her program than I did before. 52 pounds in and I am having losses of 3 or 4 pounds because of her. Stick with it!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    After the 2nd day, I could barely walk, I was so sore! That will get better. Stretching helps.
  • stardustali
    Options
    I guess if you haven't been exercising much before starting on 30DS its normal to feel the sores and aches. I just completed 3 days (with one day of rest between day 2 and 3). sometimes it's in the head! just try to tell yourself to pull through (look at one spot on the wall or something) and you will be surprised that your body can actually manage more than you think it can.

so yes I work through the aches as best as I can and I realized it gets easier. so try to push yourself but of course if you really feel very unwell then just pause for a few seconds before continuing.
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round of 30DS and for the most part I push through the pain. The first time I did it I was in a lot of pain the first week. But your body will adapt as long as you stick with it and push through it.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday and did Day One on Monday, and Day Two yesterday. Yeah, I'm pretty sore. I had a regular exercise program before this, but I'm still very sore. I'm planning on going ahead with Day Three in a little bit here. I think the idea is just to push through the soreness. If you're having pain, that's a different story. It will get easier towards the end of the 10 days, I've been told. Just in time to step it up when we change levels! :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It will get better, you won't be as sore after every work out, but each time you step up a level and change what you are doing you will probably experience a similar few days of crazy muscle ache. I agree that it is better to keep moving, even though it hurts and even if you have to slow it down, but moving is better than not in this case. and yes on the stretching, there is nothing wrong with taking a little longer to stretch out after.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have done a few rounds of the 30DS (actually starting another one today). I do it every day and push through the soreness. The first time I did it, I could barely move, but I pushed through. The pain goes away for me around day 3 or 4.

Good luck and stick with it, you'll be so happy you did!
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said....stretch!

Stretching helps a lot! I did it everyday the last time I did it. It was hard the first couple days. I stretched everyday before and after the video and it helped tons.
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    She kicked my sweet *kitten* lol. I did it every other day unill I adjusted...the soreness will fade as you get stronger.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    For me I was super sore the first three days and then on day 4 it kinda went away and instead of extreme soreness I was feeling my muscles and feeling stronger, standing taller! It went from aches and soreness to feeling like I could kick some *kitten*!!!!! Keep going and listen to your body, but if it's just soreness go with it like Jillian says that's just fear leaving the body!!!!:bigsmile:
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was soooo sore the 2 and 3 day but I popped a couple advil and pushed through!!! Do what your comfortable with... just dont over exagerate your pain... if your just a little sore.. get on it!! If you cant walk... ya take a break lol :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I was sore right after day 1..but you keep working through it , it does get easier, until you get to level 2 lol
  • myfitnesslife75
    myfitnesslife75 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I did Jump Snap workouts for about 4 weeks before I did 30DS and all I can say is the jumping workout really strengthened my legs so my legs were not in that excruciating pain after the 1st day. Sure, I had some pain but I toughed it out and worked through it. Also, after each workout, take a really warm Epsom salt bath. Helps with sore muscles.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I tried it both ways at various points in time. I found that waiting the extra day only prolonged the soreness. I did it straight through the first time and remembered being sore so figured the next time I did it (after a long injury induced break) I decided to ease the soreness by alternating the days ... I was better off the first time, even though I was in better shape the second time.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm interesting. Maybe I will just push through since I'm on a break from work for Thanksgiving. I run regularly, but I know that this uses completely different muscles and more muscles than running. I like the soreness because I feel that I've done something, but my goodness lol :)
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Push through it! You won't die. Even if you can't do 110%, try as best as you can, do it everyday, and keep moving! Your body will adapt.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I did insanity before starting 30day shred so I was already fairly in shape to say the least. I can't do more than three days straight of the shred, and the third day is always a doosy. I believe in working through the pain, but you have to do whats best for your body. Instead of doing 30DS every day try doing it every other day with cardio or something light weight in between so you're not working the same muscles too much. Keep moving though to help work out the soreness.
  • mattie2290
    mattie2290 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My legs where crazy sore the first 3 days which landed me on a weekend. I took Friday and Saturday off and when Sunday came around I felt much better and noticed a big difference in my cardio. I actually enjoyed it! There is no shame it taking a day or two off but dont let too much time go by or you'll never go back. I also suggest stretching she never has enough at the end of her videos. On the up side I'm on day 7 and already see and feel a difference in my body!
  • Silly_Sara
    Silly_Sara Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm on Level 3 of 30DS. I experienced a lot of soreness too, but I did a few things that helped my body adjust.

1. I added on 2 minutes of stretching before the DVD and another 2 minutes after. The warm-up and cool-down on the DVD really aren't enough, especially the cool-down.
    2. I make sure I had proper form when doing each exercise.
    3. I make sure to set down and lift my weights from the floor in proper lifting form. I wasn't before, so I was lifting 10 pounds with my back each time I set the weights down or picked them up.

These aren't fix-alls, but they did help my body to adjust faster and keep me from being sore to the point of not being able to push through. Good luck, and it's definitely worth it!