GAINING WEIGHT

Options
the worst part is i am gaining weight as well as INCHES on a 1300 calorie diet which is so very less than my BMR i.e. 1535
thas y decided to go in for a reset and eating my TDEE 2380(moderately active)........ it is really confusing and irrtating to gain weight on such a low calorie....... any one any suggestion on this

am i doing the right thing of resetting since i was on a very low calorie diet tht is 900 for 2 years and then increased it to 1300 past 3 months and i am gaining weight so decided to go in for reset

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think you will be glad after you do the reset and then can begin to lose again at a reasonable deficit. Stick with it.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i just want to know wether people tend to gain weight on calorie deficit........with PCOS
  • jmzz1
    Options
    bump
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on the matter because I am just in the process of being diagnosed with another underlying hormonal disorder on top of hypothyroidism that only might be PCOS, but my endocrinologist has said several times that it is harder for people with PCOS to loose weight than the general population. It isn't impossible, but it is more difficult. As such, I conjecture that your body is reacting to the reduced calorie deficit differently than the general population. How long have you been eating 1300 calories each day? Do you have a doctor that treats you for PCOS? If so, I recommend you talk with him/her about it. They would be the expert on the matter and offer solid advice particular to your situation on what to do.

Most importantly, though, is to be patient with yourself. Once things sort themselves out, you WILL loose the weight because you are determined to do so.

Feel free to friend me if you feel that I can help you on your weight loss journey.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Edit: I misread your question. Need more coffee.....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OP what is your routine?
    PM me.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    I am no expert on the matter because I am just in the process of being diagnosed with another underlying hormonal disorder on top of hypothyroidism that only might be PCOS, but my endocrinologist has said several times that it is harder for people with PCOS to loose weight than the general population. It isn't impossible, but it is more difficult. As such, I conjecture that your body is reacting to the reduced calorie deficit differently than the general population. How long have you been eating 1300 calories each day? Do you have a doctor that treats you for PCOS? If so, I recommend you talk with him/her about it. They would be the expert on the matter and offer solid advice particular to your situation on what to do.

Most importantly, though, is to be patient with yourself. Once things sort themselves out, you WILL loose the weight because you are determined to do so.

Feel free to friend me if you feel that I can help you on your weight loss journey.
    I have consulted a doctor and he advised me some metformin but I do not want to be on medication .... I was on 1300calories past 2mmonths ....now I have increased it to 1900 calories from today..
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Also looking at your diary I can tell you that for every gram of carb ingested it pulls 3-4g of water.
    Lower carbs to below 150g.
    Raise Protein to about 120g.
    Fats should be essential ie: Oils, nuts etc....
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    ^^^^OP, listen to Dan.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS (and hypothyroid while we're at it) but I lost quite a few pounds on a calorie deficit...I was also prescribed Metformin..didn't take it as a usual dose though, it was pretty much on and off..

But right now, I am on NO medication (hallelujah) and I am trying to lose 15-ish pounds..let's see what happens..
  • jilllemar
    Options
    I have had a few weeks where I eat way below my calorie goals and yet don't see as much weight loss. I am starting to think that I need to eat a certain amount to loose weight. It doesn't make any logical sense, but it seems like my body slows down weight loss at a certain calorie level. I don't know if this is true, unique for me, or applies in anyway but it is just a thought.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I have had a few weeks where I eat way below my calorie goals and yet don't see as much weight loss. I am starting to think that I need to eat a certain amount to loose weight. It doesn't make any logical sense, but it seems like my body slows down weight loss at a certain calorie level. I don't know if this is true, unique for me, or applies in anyway but it is just a thought.

Makes perfect sense.

I'll break it down for you.

You burn about 1800-2800 calories a day (maybe more depending on height, weight, body fat, activity)
    Stasis is eating the same calories you burn and thus staying the same.
    Once you start eating at a deficit your leptin levels start to fluctuate and within the first week you could see leptin levels drop up to 50%.
    Leptin tells the brain that there is ample food and its okay to not store body fat for energy.
    If you drop calories too low, cortisol, a hormone that wakes you up and gives you energy in the morning, instead of tapering off in the afternoon and lowering in the evening will continue to be at a higher level all day.
    Cortisol is antagonistic to muscle growth and maintenance and can actually break down lean mass to allow the body to have more energy at lower caloric levels.
    It basically is trying to slow you down.
    Lean mass is active tissue so muscle, heart, lungs, kidneys, etc require calories to operate.
    When you have less of this active tissue then youll require less calories to function throughout the day.
    Then when you decide that this isnt working and lets say your TDEE used to be 2500 but since youve been dieting down for so long and diminished LBM with some fat your new TDEE may be like 1700 (hypothetical of course).
    So you do the calculators and decide that since the calcs say 2500 and youd lose fat at a 20% cut at 2k.
    you start eating 2k a day and you are now 300cals above your diminished TDEE and gaining.

The good news is if you continue to lift weights and forget about cardio for a while youll actually build lean mass back and thus restore your TDEE to its higher number.

Its always a good idea to start slow, figure your numbers out for yourself and go from there.

Took me a year of experimenting to find out that on off weeks I maintain at 2k and on work weeks I maintain at 2700.

Also through 100s of numbers ive found that almost all women can lose fat at 1600-1800 calories as long as they are lifting weights 2-4x a week.
  • jmzz1
    Options

Makes perfect sense.

I'll break it down for you.

You burn about 1800-2800 calories a day (maybe more depending on height, weight, body fat, activity)
    Stasis is eating the same calories you burn and thus staying the same.
    Once you start eating at a deficit your leptin levels start to fluctuate and within the first week you could see leptin levels drop up to 50%.
    Leptin tells the brain that there is ample food and its okay to not store body fat for energy.
    If you drop calories too low, cortisol, a hormone that wakes you up and gives you energy in the morning, instead of tapering off in the afternoon and lowering in the evening will continue to be at a higher level all day.
    Cortisol is antagonistic to muscle growth and maintenance and can actually break down lean mass to allow the body to have more energy at lower caloric levels.
    It basically is trying to slow you down.
    Lean mass is active tissue so muscle, heart, lungs, kidneys, etc require calories to operate.
    When you have less of this active tissue then youll require less calories to function throughout the day.
    Then when you decide that this isnt working and lets say your TDEE used to be 2500 but since youve been dieting down for so long and diminished LBM with some fat your new TDEE may be like 1700 (hypothetical of course).
    So you do the calculators and decide that since the calcs say 2500 and youd lose fat at a 20% cut at 2k.
    you start eating 2k a day and you are now 300cals above your diminished TDEE and gaining.

The good news is if you continue to lift weights and forget about cardio for a while youll actually build lean mass back and thus restore your TDEE to its higher number.

Its always a good idea to start slow, figure your numbers out for yourself and go from there.

Took me a year of experimenting to find out that on off weeks I maintain at 2k and on work weeks I maintain at 2700.

Also through 100s of numbers ive found that almost all women can lose fat at 1600-1800 calories as long as they are lifting weights 2-4x a week.
    great info......