Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor...
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would definitely ask your doctor and do what he or she recommends.

Personally, I don't think you should set a goal of a specific weight to achieve after your pregnancy - there's too much beyond your control and more importantly, the baby's health to think about.

Why not just do this: instead of cutting calories, just focus on being as healthy as you can during your pregnancy. Eat healthy foods, stay away from the fast food, junk food and sugar. Nourish your body and your baby. Do some light exercise (again, with your doctor's ok).

When you have the baby, you'll have better eating habits and be in decent shape from the exercise, so at that point you can hit the ground running and get really serious about losing and being healthy for yourself and your family for many years to come.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    you probably already asked your doctor and he said NO which means a preggo should never loose weight just remember you are not starving nutrients from yourself but from your child can lead to tons of prob including but not limited to low birth weight & down syndrome please reconsider

Down Syndrome is a non hereditary genetic disorder and has nothing to do with what you eat or don't eat during pregnancy.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. Baby#1 is on the way for the end of June 2013. I was at 191 lbs (5'1'') and I was eating 1400 cal per day before pregnancy. I was loosing weight very, very slowly. Now I'm at 1800 and I can't go bellow that or I don't feel well.

I don't want this pregnancy to be a set back for my weight loss. Still, my baby can't pay the price for it.

I think if you eat really healthy, your weight gain will be normal and you will loose it all at birth and during the feeding (if you do feed).

There is no miracle : fruits, veggies, protein, easy on the carbs, a lot of water. Healthy snacks and no fast food!! There is to much salt in there anyway, you would put yourself at risk for health problems (preeclampsia). And keep moving! take a walk on your lunch time (or whenever you can). I try to take 2 to 3 walks a week and swim once or twice a week. I gained 3 lbs in 8 weeks (at least 1 lbs is at the breast!!)

Good luck!
  • JessicaJonker
    Options
    I can relate! I had my first baby July 2011, and am due any day now with my second. I gained 75 lbs. with my first pregnancy (yikes!), lost about 45 lbs., then got pregnant and had to come to grips with the fact that I needed to put a healthy pregnancy before weight loss. It sucks, but true. I tried keeping it to 1500 calories at first because I really wanted to continue a small amount of weight loss, but it wasn't enough after awhile and I found myself hungry all the time. I listened to my body, and I've been keeping it to 1800-2000 cals. per day. I'm happy to say its been a healthy pregnancy, and I've only gained 25 lbs. this time! Listen to your body, listen to your doctor, and just know that you've got to put previous weight loss plans on hold for this baby. Once you have him/her, get back on track with losing weight. I hope everything goes well for you and your baby!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My sis had WAY worse stats than yours with her pregnancies, and the last one she gained like 3lbs and gave birth to a 10 lb baby!! So, as long as you and your doc make a plan for your dietary intake and moderate physical activity, there's no reason you need to gain a ton of weight to support a healthy pregnancy. However, you can't expect to LOSE a bunch of weight while you are growing a brand new person!! You want to be careful and dilgently follow the advice of your healthcare providers!!!
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes. Is it safe for baby? In most healthy pregnancies, yes. Is it safe for you? No. In healthy pregnancies, the placenta will pull all nutrients it needs from your body regardless of your diet. This means that even undernourished mothers can produce very healthy babies. However it can cause a lot of short and long term damage to you. That said, if it's something you're very concerned with, speak to your OB or midwife and he/she may be able to recommend a calorie intake to help you lose weight without doing yourself damage.
    If you focus just on eating healthy, nourishing foods and let your body focus on creating that baby you'll already start changing for the better and you can worry about losing weight after birth.
    That said... I did lose 25 pounds with my first pregnancy (she was 7lbs5oz at almost 38 weeks) and 11 with my second (he was 8lbs5oz at over 41 weeks), but that was because of morning sickness with number 1 and the second was because I was a lot more overweight than you (almost 300 pounds) and just eating at a normal, healthy calorie intake caused weight loss.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Definitely speak to your doctor about the weight. As for your eating habits, I seriously doubt any doctor would object to you giving up processed or fast foods for more healthy options. Pretty sure that's what is recommended regardless of whether you want to lose weight.

I see no problem in eating healthy and maybe walking. But do not start restricting your calories or start any type of workout routine without a doctor's advice.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you are eating healthy and not starving and lose a little unintentionally there is nothing wrong with that. Some women will lose weight with pregnancy with just the way that your hormones change. I wouldn't make it your main goal to lose weight. You should NOT deprive your body of nutrients while pregnant. No matter if your pregnant or not it's not so much how much you eat but the quality of what you eat. The doctors were so concerned for my sister because she didn't gain ENOUGH weight and both her kids came out perfectly healthy.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have all followed medical advice while pregnant and have lost weight. They've delivered healthy happy babies, all naturally. There's even a Weight Watchers section dedicated to healthy choices while being pregnant.
    All that happens is that in the beginning, they lose weight, which tapers off to maintaining once they've hit about 7.5 months as the baby is putting on the rest of the weight. It encourages them to only "put on about 28 or so pounds" which is the average amount.. although they end up lighter after that because they're consistent.
    However, these are people who are over 230lb, so I don't know about anyone lower than that and can't comment.

Essentially, it's not cutting out a lot of calories, it's just either dropping a fair bit less than the recommended 500 cals from maintaining, or eating at or just under maintenance. Both ways will result in successful weight loss that's healthy to you and the baby.
    However, I can't stress enough that it has to be done under medical guidance. The 5 people I know won't be the same as you so it could go a different way.

*hugs*
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    you probably already asked your doctor and he said NO which means a preggo should never loose weight just remember you are not starving nutrients from yourself but from your child can lead to tons of prob including but not limited to low birth weight & down syndrome please reconsider

1. Downs Syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality and is determined the second the egg is fertilized. It cannot be "caused" by ANYTHING the mother does or doesn't do to her body.

2. The baby takes what it needs first, so your statement "you are not starving nutrients from yourself but from your child" is backwards. The baby gets it first, the mother is deficient.

That being said:

op, talk to your doctor...
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Please ignore this comment. Not remotely true, the nutrients go to the child, it's the mother whose nutrients are depleted if they don't get enough and downs has nothing to do with diet.
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i am currently 12 weeks pregnant with baby #2. with my first, i weighed 200 lbs when i found out i was pregnant with him at 9 weeks. i was only supposed to gain 15 lbs, but went on to gain 35. i was afraid he was going to be a huge baby, but he only weighed 6 lbs 12 oz. i was 31 then, i'm 36 now, and with this pregnancy, i weighed 195 when i found out i was pregnant at 7 weeks. i've since lost 6-7 lbs, but it's not intentional. i've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, so i've been placed on a 1900-calorie diet that limits my carb intake. i have a few friends who had GD during their pregnancies. two of them weighed less at delivery than they did when they first got pregnant. another actually gained weight. all had healthy babies. :)

i don't even go on my walks anymore because i don't want to lose weight - i want to gain!! but so far, baby is right on track with size, so my doc is happy with that.

just maintain a healthy diet - lots of protein, fruits, and veggies. cut back on sugar and processed foods and you'll be okay. but the best thing to do would be to consult your doctor.
  • rml_16
    Options

1. Downs Syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality and is determined the second the egg is fertilized. It cannot be "caused" by ANYTHING the mother does or doesn't do to her body.

2. The baby takes what it needs first, so your statement "you are not starving nutrients from yourself but from your child" is backwards. The baby gets it first, the mother is deficient.

That being said:

op, talk to your doctor...

What Robin said.

I weighed 110 when I got pregnant and entering my third trimester, due to terrible morning sickness, I was 102 pounds. I had a perfectly healthy baby who weighed 7 lbs 6 oz -- right in the middle of the healthy range for a newborn.

So, it can certainly be safe to lose, but it's not recommended you do it on purpose. Also, I have never been hungrier than I was when I was pegnant, so it probably wouldn't be very easy to do on purpose.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had a girl in a few months back that needed her abdominal strengthened to give birth she only was with me for 3months and you could clearly she she had lost fat her bulge got bigger it can only be healthy imo
  • BreannaJohnson1030
    Options
    I was the same size and age as you and i just had my son 4/23/2012. I ate healthy my whole pregnancy and walked ALOT i dident really gain mych weight untill my last two months but i niticed aftermy 6 week check up i had only gauiined about 15lbs after it all. i fet good about that but after birth and starting my healthy regamit while pregnant it was very easy to keep it going. I started weight watchers and only lost 5lbs in about 3 months but than i started mfp and 60days in i am 12lbs down with a total loss of 17lbs. To make sure the baby gets all what the baby need bc he or she will take from you what baby needs but you need food to for energy so eating less will only hurt you durning pregnancy. if you eat healthy get all your fruits veggies all that good stuff you should have energy to walk, excersice and stay active that is how you will stay at a good weight and baby will still get what baby needs!!! I ish you the best of luck with staying healthy and the new baby on the way!!!
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This so weird becuase my stats are almost just the same as yours!
    Height: 5'7
    Weight: 194lbs
    Body fat: 33.4

I am currently 2 months pregnant and when I spoke to my doctors 2 weeks ago, she said that it was ok to still lose weight because I am considered overweight. She said I can continue to follow my calories intake as indicated on MFP(YES. I took my MFP diary and profile for verification). She said as long as continue to eat healthy and try to stay away from processed foods I should be fine.My profile is set to lose 2 lbs each month.

She did say in my 3rd trimester I should be more focused on maintaining on whatever my weight is towards the end because as the baby gets bigger I'll need more calories so I should increase my calories to just maintenance.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My mother did it when she was pregnant with me, but she only did it with her doctor's permission. You should really be talking to him or her about it. I was born healthy at 8lbs 3oz but my mom was obese when she got pregnant. Not quite sure what her stats were, but she said that the doc didn't want her to lose more than 4lbs a week. The only person that can tell you if you can lose weight while your pregnant is your doctor. Odds are, he will probably send you to a nutritionist.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I had a girl in a few months back that needed her abdominal strengthened to give birth she only was with me for 3months and you could clearly she she had lost fat her bulge got bigger it can only be healthy imo

Do you have your med school diploma handy to back up that statement?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

My OB approves REASONABLE and HEALTHY weight loss for obese patients. She doesn't want us to lose a lot of weight, but was pleased with my goal of 10-15 pounds (which I'm not attaining because I can't seem to get my butt in gear, but I have gained 4 pounds at 20 weeks which I'm okay with) and my plan to eat 1800 calories a day while exercising. She gave me 2 medical journal articles from studies SUPPORTING weight loss or maintenance for obese women. However, I'm not sure 1500 calories is enough. As someone else pointed out, baby is a good little parasite and would do fine with that number of calories per day. It's you who will suffer from not eating enough. I'm comfortable, based on my research, your weight, and my doctor's advice, recommending that you eat 1700-1800 calories a day. You may lose weight more slowly, but it will be healthy for you and baby.