Ready to eat 5 doughnuts

Options
Ok, maybe not 5 doughnuts but I am so frusterated and ready to go binge on something. I thought it would be better to come confesss on here than to stick sugar in my mouth.

On October 2nd, I just decided it was time to win my battle with weight. And ever so slowly I am loosing weight. And I mean slowly. In 7 weeks I am down 14 pounds. And I know 2 pounds per week is the safe amount of loss, but I see so many people doing crazy shake, supplements, weird diet stuff and loosing huge amounts of weight.

How do you not get discouraged? I am not setting a goal weight. I dont' want to get to a weight and stop. I want to be healthy. But in my head i think I need to lose 70 pounds to be at that healthy place for me. In the past I've gotten so discouraged my the slow loss and given up.

As an example of my frusteration, last night I had a dinner meeting. I made all healthy choices for supper. The meal was catered so I had to eat what was provided. But it was baked carrots, green beans, lean pork chops and salad. I tried to log the calories without having a scale to weight everything. But this morning I work up a pound heavier! ARGH!! And I know so many thing contribute to weight in a day. But it is driving me crazy.

It would be different if i only had 10 pounds to lose. I'd expec to lose slowly. But I need to lose much more.

Sorry to ramble. Just needed an outlet. Heading to the gym to work out with my trainer. Maybe I'll take out some frusterations on some weights.

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Deadlift that anger out!

But seriously, putting on weight takes time and so does losing it. 1lb is bugger all in the grand scheme, you could lose that with a large bowel movement. Keep up the good work, eat healthy, exciting food (homemade chicken and spinach curry..healthy and delicious). Keep calm and carry on basically....a doughnut isn't going to make you happier,.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is an enormous success! I know everyone always wants to see their weight loss immediately, but you have to understand that you're exactly where you should be. Most of those people doing "weird diet stuff" do not maintain their weight loss because they're not developing a healthy lifestyle. That's not what you want.

If you weigh yourself daily you just have to understand that it's going to fluctuate. If you can't handle that... well, don't weigh yourself daily.

Do your gym time, lift some weights. You are getting STRONGER and HEALTHIER. Don't let some stupid number get you down. Good luck! :)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    2 lbs per week is a lot
    people who lose faster also tend to gain after they finish the diet

your gain is all water
    please don't go to that place, it's a crazy place you don't want to be in...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    14 lbs in 7 weeks is fantastic. Instead of being frustrated, you should be enjoying this while it lasts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What do you do to get ready to binge? When you figure out the answer to that, don't do that anymore, and you won't be prepared to binge anymore. :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others. Two pounds a week is fantastic.

In a year, you'll damn close to your goal. If you quit, in a year you'll be in the same situation as you are now.

Success isn't what you lose from week to week. It's sticking with it long term. I'm a pretty good artist. People ask me how I can paint so well, and my honest answer is, "I never quit." All kids like to draw and paint. Most quit. The ones that continue become good at it. Same goes for fitness. Anyone can lose a few pounds. It's sticking with it that's the tricky part.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    14 lbs in 7 weeks is fantastic. Instead of being frustrated, you should be enjoying this while it lasts.

This too!

Two pounds a week is the maximum that a person ought to lose, in order to be considered "safe."
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Try not to get overwhelmed by the big picture. When you have a lot to lose, it is easy to get discouraged thinking that you will never get therre. But set small goals for yourself. Decide that you are going to eat more veggies, drink more water, walk a little more, etc. And set small weight loss goals, like get to the first 10 pounds, under 200 pounds, etc. Those two pounds a week do add up quicker than you realize if you just stick with it!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    invest about $40 and get your body fat tested in a bod pod

your body fat % is the only real number you should be concerned about

scale body weight has so many variables on not only a day to day basis but also on an hour to hour basis that tracking it on a regular basis is fairly meaningless and frustrating

knowing your body fat % allows you to have a more accurate assessment of your general health and gives you a more balanced approach to tracking and achieving your goals
  • columbae86
    Options
    Don't forget about sodium! Very often, restaurants use a lot of salt to make food tastier. Well this salt doesn't help for water retension... Make sure to eat less salt today and with that workout, things should be back to normal in a couple of days! And I agree for the body fat. Muscles are heavier than fat, and while you're going to the gym, your muscles are developping. Don't get discouraged. See your body changing and improving! Doughnuts are not going to help you... especially not with carbs and sodium!
    You did well to write here. Get your frustration out: we all go through this, and I fear it will be me next time I weigh myself... ;-)
  • jilllemar
    Options
    PUT YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM AND BACK AWAY FROM THE DONUTS!

It's thinking like that that's put us where we are now. I've had one setback so I am going to reward/punish myself by eating what I crave. Screw, this **** isn't working anyway. Been there, done that, that's what got me knocking on the door of 270 lbs.

And honestly, I think its my mindset and personality because I would be there without having a person to be accountable to every Monday evening. So you need the same, get a friend, a counselor, a pastor, pay someone if you have to, but have someone who can pick you back up and set you back on your feet once a week. I like Monday's cause weekends are my weakness. And it needs to be a real person cause lets face it, its too easy to lie online.

There's another thread on here about "Just for Today". So focus on being healthy today. Don't think about tomorrow, or the Holiday Season, or next year (unless its that swimsuit you want). Think of today, and being healthy today.

You are going to regret that doughnut five minutes after eating it. We both know what its like, you know its going to feel almost orgasmic going down, for that 60 seconds it takes to eat it you will be in heaven. Then for the next couple of hours you will be in guilty feeling hell until you eat another one to experience another 60 seconds of heaven. The heaven doesn't last, the hell is a lifetime. Not really worth it for any food.

So go grab a carrot and then make a list. Why do I want to do this? Me, I want to go to the water park in the summer and enjoy it like I haven't been able to since I was a teen.

Then write these down and post them on the fridge. Wait, no, the donut cupboard. I probably won't get them right, you might want to look them up since I am not the most elegant of speakers.

1. If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got.

2. We have to get real about fat or get really fat.

3. Just for Today

4. I am worth it.

Also, I started my journey in August of this year. I remember being stuck at 9 pounds. I never believed I was getting past nine pounds, not for one second did I think I was going to loose this weight and avoid surgery. Then the next week I jumped to 12. Hot diggity dog, double digits!!!! Then I was stuck on 18 and figured 9s were going to be my unlucky number. Then I jumped to 21. Now I am at 29.4 lbs and have averaged 2 lbs a week. I too thought it was too small an amount, I was doing so much frigging work, I thought I should be knocking at least 5 lbs a week out of the park. But 30 lbs is 30 lbs, no matter how long it took me to get here. And I am happy again. (Apparently I was a miserable witch since my family has told me its worth it just for me to not be so miserable). And I just this week started to believe I am going to do this. So DO NOT GIVE UP, in 1 year you will be down at least the 70 lbs. I will be down 100 and plan to strut naked down the beach (So you'll know who I am then when I get arrested, but at least I will look hot when I do it).
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this link because I actually did eat 6 donuts yesterday. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. And I'm still here, making healthy choices today. This is about the long haul, this is about how you want to live the rest of your life. Your weight loss is impressive. Bur if you're doing this as a quick fix with the expectation of going back to old habits when you're done, it won't be a success. Even if you have a really crappy day like I did yesterday, tomorrow is a new one.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sometimes... the best thing you can do is just eat the frickin' donut.

So much of weight loss is a mental fight, not a physical fight. The hardest part is staying motivated, and it's hard to stay motivated if you feel overwhelmed or deprived or feel like you're not seeing progress. So tackle those problems as they come up.

If you're not seeing progress, look for progress in other ways. I'm a big fan of progress photos and fitness goals. Starting out getting dragged when I took the dog for a walk, and then being able to run a mile in one month's time, was hugely motivating. And then being able to run 3 miles a month later was even more thrilling. So what if I hadn't dropped a full pants size yet?! I was getting healthier and stronger. :smile:

If you're feeling overwhelmed, maybe take a step back. Maybe you're trying to do too much at once. It's like trying to remodel a house while you're living in it... you can't gut it all and expect to be able to live a normal life. Tackle one room at a time. In terms of your body, make a small change you can live with, then add more changes as those become more comfortable. IE, start by having a healthier breakfast for a week or two. Then makeover your lunch. Then dinner. Build on exercise in the same way.

If you're feeling deprived, allow yourself some splurges and indulgences. If having an extra 100 calories of chocolate every day makes you feel better about everything else you're doing, have the damn chocolate. Don't eat foods you don't like just because they're healthy. There's too many other options that are just as healthy but still taste good. Make everything you eat delicious. Plain grilled chicken isn't all that delicious. Grilled chicken topped with a couple tablespoons of salsa and a sprinkle of cheese melted on top is delicious.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What do you do to get ready to binge? When you figure out the answer to that, don't do that anymore, and you won't be prepared to binge anymore. :flowerforyou:

What an awesome answer.

ALSO - Everything that LorinaLynn just said. That lady has a way with words, I tell 'ya.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    ^Definitely. There will come a time when you miss being able to lose 2 lbs a week. 2 lbs a week is great, and as you get closer to your goal, you should be aiming to lose even slower. Those people you see losing massive amounts in a short periods of time are likely losing lots of water weight, and more muscle than they really want.

Weight loss is hard. It's hard because it's boring, tedious, and it takes time. Of course everyone wants the weight off right now but there really aren't any quick fixes. Everyone always wants to know the "secret" to successful weight loss. If you ask me, it's simply not giving up.

If you stick around here, you'll see a lot of people saying "it's not a diet. it's a lifestyle change". You hear that so much around here, it has become a cliché. It's true though. If you really want to succeed (and by success, I mean not just losing the weight, but keeping it off) then you need to make permanent changes to your lifestyle. That's hard, because isn't it just so much easier to eat whatever you feel like, and exercise as little as you feel like?

If you keep thinking of this as something you need to do temporarily until you have lost the weight, then you risk losing the momentum to get to your goal, and you definitely risk gaining weight again once you go back to "normal". How many people do you know that lose weight, only to regain it? Or spend their whole lives "on a diet"? Is that how you want to be? Is the way that you're eating now the way you want to eat forever? Are the changes that you've made to your diet ones that you feel you can sustain permanently? If not, then maybe that's something you need to look at. You don't have to feel deprived to lose weight. You need to make some changes, of course, but you don't have to make massive, radical changes overnight. If you want to eat a doughnut, eat a doughnut. One doughnut didn't make you overweight. It's about how you eat most of the time. You can eat a doughnut and make it fit into your calorie goal, you can even make it fit into your macronutrient goals. You could even eat a doughnut, go over your calorie goal and still be at a calorie deficit. Hey, even if you go over your TDEE for one day, it's not the end of the world, and you could still lose weight by the end of the week. Bigger picture. The way I did it, I started off by just trying to hit my calorie goal. As long as I ate at a calorie deficit, I lost weight. I am interested in my overall health though, so I gradually started making more changes to my diet. Getting more protein, more veggies, more fluids, keeping an eye on my sodium etc. It's taken time, but I eat a lot healthier than when I started. I still eat chocolate and all the other foods I like though, I just practise moderation.

As far as the gain you had after that meal - well, you already know that the scales measure more than just the amount of fat on your body. If you ate a larger quantity of food than normal, and consumed more sodium and carbs than normal, it's to be expected that you would see a slight scale gain the next day. Your weight is constantly fluctuating even when you are doing everything "right". You can't let those fluctuations discourage you, they're completely normal.

You can go and binge on doughnuts now, but where is that going to get you other than even more discouraged and frustrated? If emotional eating is an issue for you, then maybe that's something that would be worth addressing too. There are techniques you can learn to cope with negative emotions without using food in that way.

If you want to lose 70 lbs, then it's going to take time. Patience and determination are key. You don't need to be super-motivated every day, or have cast iron willpower. You just need to be clear that this is what you want, that no matter how hard it is, it's worth it, and that how ever many times you mess up, or fall back into old habits, or get discouraged, you get back up and keep going. You won't lose weight every week. Some weeks you may gain. Look at the bigger picture. Is the overall trend going down? You've lost your first 14 lbs, so you're already winning.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe not 5 doughnuts but I am so frusterated and ready to go binge on something. I thought it would be better to come confesss on here than to stick sugar in my mouth.

On October 2nd, I just decided it was time to win my battle with weight. And ever so slowly I am loosing weight. And I mean slowly. In 7 weeks I am down 14 pounds. And I know 2 pounds per week is the safe amount of loss, but I see so many people doing crazy shake, supplements, weird diet stuff and loosing huge amounts of weight.

How do you not get discouraged? I am not setting a goal weight. I dont' want to get to a weight and stop. I want to be healthy. But in my head i think I need to lose 70 pounds to be at that healthy place for me. In the past I've gotten so discouraged my the slow loss and given up.

As an example of my frusteration, last night I had a dinner meeting. I made all healthy choices for supper. The meal was catered so I had to eat what was provided. But it was baked carrots, green beans, lean pork chops and salad. I tried to log the calories without having a scale to weight everything. But this morning I work up a pound heavier! ARGH!! And I know so many thing contribute to weight in a day. But it is driving me crazy.

It would be different if i only had 10 pounds to lose. I'd expec to lose slowly. But I need to lose much more.

Sorry to ramble. Just needed an outlet. Heading to the gym to work out with my trainer. Maybe I'll take out some frusterations on some weights.

2 pounds a week is a big loss. Those shakes and stuff are gimmicks , the weight would come back on as quick as the person lost it!

I've lost a little under a pound a week for the last 6 months. This is not supposed to be a race.
  • Farmbabe
    Farmbabe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragment! I know everything you have all said. I've done this so many times :) I know the weight should come off slowly. I know muscle weighs more that fat. And I do have muscles! I've always been strong. I farm with my husband and I can toss feedbags around and carry a few pigs for fun. That's a workout! Now I just have to find those muscles under their layer of insulation!!

I should say I never ate the doughnuts. And I don't really like doughnuts!! And I consider it a success that I didn't push back the emotions with whatever food I could find. That is a baby step!

My trainer did suggest I might add one day of weights. I do a class at my gym called Body Pump one day a week and train hard one day a week. I run 3-4 days. Love running, but she thinks my body may be getting used to it. So I'll see about taking out a running day, except when I start training for my half-marathon in May, and add a day of weights. I do love to lift! Today I hit a punching bag for awhile. That felt good.

A healthy lifestyle is vital. I have three little kids. They are athelets and super active and love to run with me. Now i just have to make sure I can show them Mom is taking care of herself and setting a good example.

Thanks everyone!!