weighing a banana

Options
do you weigh it with or without the peel?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Without.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    do you eat the peel? :noway: :smile:

without
  • TrinityTrinityTrinity
    Options

without
    you don't?

I always question the common sense things. But if I make my lunch for the day I'm not going to peel my banana 4 hours before I eat it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Why, exactly, are you weighing a banana? Why not just go by the length to determine if it's small, medium, large, or extra large?
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options

without
    you don't?

I always question the common sense things. But if I make my lunch for the day I'm not going to peel my banana 4 hours before I eat it.

in some parts of the world I hear it is a delicacy... :laugh:

Understand about the lunch thing... I mainly use frozen bananas in my protein shake, so I can weigh a weeks worth in advance... maybe find the ratio of peel to edible banana? or use a small scale at work??

I'm out of suggestions... :wink:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Peeling a banana = processing. Eating the peel is cleaner.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Depends on which part I'm eating.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Without.

If I'm packing a lunch for 4 hours time though, I would just estimate it's size (small, medium, large).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh mine at all. I just count it as one large banana every time.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I HATE the entries on the database that state small, medium large etc.. how could you possibly know?

What about weighing one of the bunch and presuming that all the others are about the same?
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You sacrifice one banana from the bunch and weigh it's peel alone and assume the rest in the bunch have a peel of that approximate weight and subtract that when you weigh the rest. I just go by the database estimates (some have approx inches for the banana) I don't really care if my calories are off by 20 calories or so since that won't really hurt me.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with apples! I don't eat the core and short of brining my food scale to work, it's hard to know how much apple you actually ate! I usually pick a medium one and if it looks a little larger I'll add 1.25 or 1.5 servings instead of one medium.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    My scale is small, so I put it in my bag and bring it to work with me with my food and snacks so I can peel my banana and weigh it right before I eat it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I HATE the entries on the database that state small, medium large etc.. how could you possibly know?

Because each size has a range of length?

ETA: At least if you enter it as "Bananas - Raw."
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I don't....I look it up in the data base and select small, medium or large.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

This.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This.

Ditto. Actually I think I pick medium - I try and buy small bananas though.
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How do you know that the banana actually contains the exact number of calories for the weight?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I go by length...like my men.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The only fruit I really weigh is my mangos..only because the inside seed can be huge or small and I have found a big discrepancy going on size vs weight of fruit eaten with mangos. And I LOVE my mangos and do not want to be cheated of even 1g of deliciousness. Everything else I go by the approx size as it is pretty close.

(incidentally, mango in plural is one of the few words where -oes/-os are both accepted as correct - mangoes or mangos...)