weight loss while pregnant

Options

Replies

• mhairi81
    mhairi81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor. I know that losing weight while pregnant is acceptable if you are overweight. I am just not sure about the 1500 calorie thing..... my sister always comes out a few lbs less after pregnancy and didnt get yelled at :)

This. Losing weight is fine, but you do need to check the details over with your doctor. There's some fab exercise DVD'S especially for pregnancy out there which might be better than cutting calories. Good luck!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor!

I haven't had any children myself so no first hand experience, but pregnancy is not the time to be aiming to losing weight or cutting calories. I have heard of women who are obese losing a little weight while pregnant just through eating healthy, sensible amounts and getting some exercise. (something light, it's not the time to be starting a new exercise program) but it's really more about the health and less about the weight. Again, go to your doctor. Nobody here is qualified to give advice on your personal circumstances.
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input!

I will be seeing my doctor next week and will be sure to talk things over with her. I really have not come to grips with the fact that I am pregnant. I know I need to do what's best for baby but in a way I am being selfish because I was set on losing it this time and then I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant. I also try to tell myself im only 23 years old by 25 this will be a faint memory and i'll be smaller and healthy!

I know some people who have lose weight while pregnant and their doctors had advised not to but they are fine and had perfectly normal babies. I worry that doctors say no because they do not want expectant moms to get the impression that is is ok to hordcore diet. This is off topic and controversial as well but my doctor told me a little alcohol is okay while pregnant but they don't like to tell women that because everyone has a different idea of what "a little" may be. I guess im hoping this is the same.

Thanks again for the support and for those expecting mums who replied...congrats!
  • ashleymmannisto
    ashleymmannisto Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds with my first son, and he weight 7pounds (2 weeks early). My second I lost about the same, she was 9 pounds (3 days early). I just quit drinking pop. I would def. talk to your doctor, but my doctor was for weight loss during pregnancy as long as it wasn't to strenuous.
  • Kendra0024
    Kendra0024 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor! Although, I will tell you that I was also really heavy when I got pregnant. My doctor told me not to go below 1600 calories per day, and if I lost (within reason) or maintained my weight that he was fine with it. It's not uncommon or unreasonable. Just talk to your doctor so that the two of you can develop a plan that is healthiest for you and baby. :) BTW- Congrats! ;)
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with my first one because i couldn't get junk food, or drink any pop...my doctor said it was fine because i had extra "stuff" for the baby...i ate healthy and had a very healthy baby girl
  • xxKTuSSeYxx
    Options
    This is not something you need to ask your Dr. about lol I am also preggo with baby #3 (due in March 2013) and was wondering the same thing. In all honesty, you set yourself a calorie goal. You only need to consume 300 extra calories per day for the baby. A lot of women think that just bc they're pregnant that they are literally eating for 2 adults. WRONG. I promise you, if you stick to your reasonable calorie goal, stop eating trash foods, drink lots of water and continue to exercise, you will notice how much happier and healthier you are! I let myself go the 1st two pregnancies and I was fat and miserable and had a hard time getting the weight off after birth. This time, I am doing exactly what I just told you and I have noticed a huge difference. Focus on losing MORE weight AFTER the baby is born! Good luck!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    There's even a Weight Watchers section dedicated to healthy choices while being pregnant.

No. No there's not. And there probably never will be. There's lots of discussion on the WW message boards about it, but the only WW-modified plan is for nursing moms AFTER you've had the baby.

Please talk to your dr. about what's best for you, and if needed, ask for a referral to a nutritionist. My guess is they'll tell you to eat at least 1800-2000 cals./day of a healthy variety of nutritious foods. Good luck!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Generally, it is not recommended that you lose weight while pregnant--you need extra calcium, iron, folate, etc. and very hard to get on limited calories. And, for the health of your baby, you should know that some nutritionaly shortages during pregnancy can cause long term problems. Your aim should be to gain less---maybe only 15-25 pounds instead of the 25-35 that is recommended for someone starting at a normal weight.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There's even a Weight Watchers section dedicated to healthy choices while being pregnant.

No. No there's not. And there probably never will be. There's lots of discussion on the WW message boards about it, but the only WW-modified plan is for nursing moms AFTER you've had the baby.

Please talk to your dr. about what's best for you, and if needed, ask for a referral to a nutritionist. My guess is they'll tell you to eat at least 1800-2000 cals./day of a healthy variety of nutritious foods. Good luck!

I can see this for BFing- you need a TON of cals for nursing!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I know this topic can be controversial but please no rude comments.....

Here's the DL

I want to know if it is okay to lose weight while pregnant, I know it's possible(consume less calories) but I am wondering if anyone else has lost a significant amount of weight and still had a healthy baby. Baby #3 will be here June 2013 and baby #2 was born June 2012, yes shocking! I want to lose weight because I know it is not healthy to be so heavy while pregnant and well also because i don't want to be so huge any more :(. I use to eat fast food 5 days per week some time 2 meals a day. I've kicked that and haven't have fastfood in 2 weeks. Also I eat alot of processed and pre made food. I have started to try to eat clean and was wondering if 1500 calories per day would be healthy while pregnant. I am hoping to be no more than 180lbs when I have my baby.

Here are my stats:

age- 23 years
    height - 5'2
    weight- 198 lbs
    BMI 36.2 - Beyond Obese

Your best bet is to tell your doctor what your goals are and ask for a nutritionist referral.

The general idea with Obese women is not for them to LOSE weight while pregnant, but to gain as little as possible. If you gain 5-10lbs during pregnancy, and deliver a healthy 7-8lb baby...you will lose actual baby weight, uterine weight, blood volume, etc and may leave the hospital weighing 15-20lbs LESS than when you found out you were pregnant.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    For the love of god stop giving her advice. What is wrong with you people???

OP don't ask strangers on the internet what is good for your baby!! You need to talk to your doctor. WTF
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your health and the health of your baby is too important to ask strangers on the internet for their advice on your situation. Ask your doctor and/or midwife and follow their advice.

That said I did lose weight whilst being pregnant with number 4 (currently 3 months old), with my midwife's permission.

I had moved from 257 lbs to 210 before I fell pregnant. I exercised until I was 7 months pregnant and restarted exercise when my baby was 5 weeks old. I ate maintenance calories in the first two trimesters and added an additional 300 calories per day in the third trimester.

My midwife suggested I join Slimming World as they do have an approved by the UK NHS diet program for pregnant ladies but I preferred to stick to MFP and my own imperfect ideas about what I should eat.

I only put on 8lbs at the height of my pregnancy (218 lbs) and within a couple of weeks I had dropped back to 200lbs. Three months later I am 183 and falling !
  • DoingItForME724
    DoingItForME724 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

OP don't ask strangers on the internet what is good for your baby!! You need to talk to your doctor. WTF

Thank you for your concern....I will ask my doctor. I am just trying to get insight from other women who may have been in similar situations.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor...

^^^

Don't seek medical advice from a public internet forum. Your doctor can set you up with a dietitian to assist you with healthy eating during pregnancy.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have 1 year between my first and second babies, and I gained 50lbs with my first and 5lbs with my second. That being said, I also ate at least 1800 to 2000 calories during my second and third trimesters of my second pregnancy. You need to eat extra calories just to get in the proper nutrition for your baby (protein, carbs, calcium and fat are very important to your developing baby). I am currently pregnant with my 4th baby, and I am eating an average of 1800 to 2000 calories per day. I work out doing zumba, walking and jogging 3 days per week, and at 20 weeks, I have only gained 5.5 lbs. Please consult with your practitoner. My midwife did not recommend eating any less than 1800 calories per day.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Thank you for your concern....I will ask my doctor. I am just trying to get insight from other women who may have been in similar situations.
    Every pregnancy and every woman is different. This is actually a legitimate 'special snowflake' situation. No one here knows your health history or background. Whether or not your faced complications with your previous pregnancies. And vice versa. There are also people in the world and on MFP that do things regardless of the consequences. There isn't an icon or button to identify them.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    My wife and I just came from her OB Doctor on Monday. We went to verify she was pregnant, due on Jul 8th :-). I specifically asked him about her continued exercise, primarily walking, and caloric intake and informed him of our participation on this site. He told us that as much exercise as she could do was perfectly fine, in fact encouraged, and that she should continue to watch caloric intake and keep it right around 1600. Just for reference, my wife is 5'2" and currently 209 (I think, well really close to that if not exactly) pounds.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1 st do what your dr says. I did not intend to lose weight while pg with my 3 rd child but I did. I was sick the whole time. Lost about 25 lbs, was way over weight to begin with. DD came out just fine, graduated at the top of her class last spring , was a 3 sport person and is on a full academic scholarship to college.
    It did however take a toll on my body too me much longer to recover than my other pg.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    talk to your doctor about your caloric needs.

if you want to do any exercise at all, just get up and take walks. any kind of walking (not including speed walking) is good for blood circulation and will help burn unwanted calories while still keeping both your and your baby healthy. i was 260lbs by the time my daughter was born and i got up and walked at least a mile every day until my feet were too swollen to do it anymore and my doctor told me to stay in bed.

but definitely, go over all of your concerns with your doc. they'll know what's best for you.