Question on people who've lost more than 100 pounds

Options
I was wondering if you had any problems with access skin? I know if you lose it too fast then you tend to fall into that category, but will a drastic amount of weight loss being lost at the right pace still have your skin hanging too loose?

Replies

• cocktailprincess
    Options
    I have lost 94lb so far and have 18 to go. I t has taken 2 years, so approx. 1lb a week loss and my skin is mostly fine.

The only 'problem' area I have is on my lower stomach which is loose (not hanging down or anything like that, just looks a little 'deflated' which I suppose it is!) I think age can be a factor- the younger you are the more likely to 'spring back' (I am 35 so not too lucky)

I have heard that over time skin elasticity will increase, and not to be attracted by miracle creams as they don't work. Also exercise only firms up muscle underneath the skin and not the skin itself.

So, no real problems, and the benefits of being slim far outweigh the slight problem of a bit of a wrinkly belly
    x
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have lost approx 122 lbs so far, and I don't have very much, if any, loose skin. The trick for me has been to exercise a lot, and to tone up after losing the fat. This has allowed me to avoid loose skin - so far at least! :)
  • boffo
    boffo Posts: 22
    Options
    on my first go round, i lost 175 lbs (gained it all back slowly over the past 5 years.... oops), and had a pretty hangy belly. I didn't stick around at that weight long enough to notice if it was going to repair itself or not. If you do find that you have extra skin, keep that in mind as you approach your goal weight. I got stuck at 230 (was shooting for 190) for months... this was part of the frustration that put me back on the whoppers and poptarts.
  • sunshine525
    sunshine525 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is a concern of mine, also. I Googled the subject just the other day. From what I read, there are several factors involved: 1. Your age (young skin is more elastic) 2. How much you were overweight 3. How long you were overweight 4. How fast you lost, and maybe more. They did say drink plenty of water and use moisterizer.
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the info! :-) and boffo I'm sorry that happened, I know them whoppers are quite tasty...why do they have to be soooo bad?? I like your motto thing too hehe "eat less ****. walk more" clever!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I found this article and found it super interesting. It talks abot the loose skin as well as why it's important to take the weight off slower and replenish some of the calories you burn off when exercising... http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My ticker says 70+ pounds lost but I had lost at least 20 pounds before I started weighing myself so I'm close to100 pounds lost so far! :happy:

I am 54, have been overweight almost my whole life and have been losing at an average of a pound a week. I also have a very active, physically demanding job and work out every day (different routines--I get bored easily!) (I also moisturize but that is mainly because I tend to have dry skin anyway!)

I drink lots of water!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I really don't think my skin looks all that bad. My upper arms are a little saggy and my belly is wrinkly, but things are improving slowly.

I think my body looks better than even the younger ones on the Biggest Loser (for instance) because I'm losing more slowly.

Besides, I'd rather have loose skin on a healthy body than tight skin over fat!:laugh:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Besides, I'd rather have loose skin on a healthy body than tight skin over fat!:laugh:

AMEN!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!