Advice please... exercise related

Options
kateyb
kateyb Posts: 138 Member
I'm in mega pain today, have done an hours gym session every night this week (last night and tues night were with a trainer) and think I overdid it last night, my arms are screaming at me every time I move! Plus I have a banging headache :(

So...advice please. I need to do another 45 min workout tonight because Fri and Sunday are my rest days so I can't take tonight off as well.

Would I be better off doing 30 mins of moderate impact cardio and 15 mins weights concentrating on legs and abs, or shall I go swimming and do laps for 45 mins?

I'm giving it a major push at the mo because it's my birthday 2 weeks tomorrow and I need to slim into the dress! Lol So, for the purpose of this I need to know what I can still do that is going to be most beneficial without killing my arms!!!

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    if your muscles are that sore i would stick to only cardio and leave out anything else until tomorrow, give your muscles a full day to rest or you might end up in worse shape. Usually the pain from regular training( not an injury) lasts a couple of days, any loger and you may have torn something.
  • kateyb
    Options
    Oh I've not done any damage. I'm sure of that. It's just the fact that I have the upper body strength of a 5 year old. Seriously it's pathetic, lol.

For the last 3 nights I've been doing 15 mins cardio (10 to warm up and 5 to cool down) and then 30 mins of weight training. My legs are fine, if anything I'm not sure I pushed myself enough, but my arms just arn't used to the exertion. (I have also been using the vibro gym for 15 mins but that hasn't been concentrated on the arms yet).

Tonight is my last gym sesh for the week. On Saturday I'm doing spinning and a body pump class (which does use free weights) so I'm thinking I need to give the arms a rest until saturday really.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. Each muscle group ideally should get 48 hours to rest and recover.
  • mlally1014
    mlally1014 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt work the same muscles everyday in weight training. They need time to heal inbetween sessions. Do legs one day and upper body the next. Maybe take today off and workout tomorrow instead. Also really focus on a streching program, it works wonders.
  • Mommyof2in09
    Options
    I would recommend taking it easy as the others have said. Swimming is an excellent full body workout that is very friendly to the joints. As for the headache - make sure you are getting enough sodium and potassium. Sometimes, drinking a lot of straight water during/after a workout can cause a headache... It's important to replenish your body's sodium after a workout.. there are lot of sports drinks, and gels, that can help with this. :)

PS - Sodium is lost when your wet too.. a lot of times people get dehydrated swimming and experience even more non-replinished sodium loss after swimming because they don't "feel the sweat."

Hope that helps!
  • kateyb
    Options
    Cheers guys, I've heard what you're saying a couple of times now. The thing I don't get though is why my trainer (who is supposed to be the professional), knowing that my schedule means working out 4 consecutive days, would assign me a circuit that doesn't focus on a particular muscle group one day, then a different group the next if that is what I should be doing.

The workout she has designed for me seems to cover all areas and give a full body workout, which is what I want really anyway. My only issue is that my upper body strength is not where near comparable to my lower body, but then she knew that too because we discussed everything before she designed the program.

It's just so confusing trying to wade through all the information and decide who is right and who is wrong. I actually took a print out of my goals with me last night because my trainer told me that both my calorie and protein goals were too low whereas my carbs were too high. We involved the onsite dietician, both looked them over and both completely contradicted most of the information we are given, and that I see bandied about on here.

It's all soooo confusing!
  • nali_12
    nali_12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    hmm...maybe you need to rethink your trainer and gym's dietician? If it doesn't sound right it probably isnt. You know your body best.

Definitely don't be lifting the same muscles everyday. I've heard calves and abs can be an exception to that rule but they also need time to heal and rebuild.

Your protein should probably be higher if you want to burn fat and carbs should be on the lower side. If you are doing lots of strenous activities though you do want to make sure you are eating enough otherwise your body won't let you lose anything. I'm no expert but healthy choices and amounts will make all the difference.

good luck.