How will you cope with Thanksgiving?

Options
What approach have you decided to take to all the delicious food offered for the Thanksgiving holiday? Making your personal choices ahead of time can help you deal with the day your own way. Do you have any ideas to share with all of us here on MFP? Do you plan to log in and count your calories on Thanksgiving, or will you take a day off? Have you decided to avoid certain foods? Will you give yourself special permission for certain things? Will you work out longer the day before or after to make up a calorie overage? Will you opt out of the meal altogether? Please share your ideas for coping with all that gorgeous food!

Whatever you decide, happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I am cooking and I'm not making much more than usual.

Marinated and baked orange honey turkey
    Gravy from chicken soup
    Mashed potatoes
    Roasted butternut squash with brown sugar
    Cranberry sauce with fruit
    Pumpkin pie
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    logging it all but I am eating. Only comes once a year. Will try and stay with the healthier stuff. Pumpkin pie is better than pecan for instance. Sweet potatoes are good if not filled with marshmellows and brown sugar.

Can't wait!
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating normally which is my 1000-1200 range. If I go over it will be okay. If I go under it will be okay. The reason it will be okay is because I have made a lifestyle change and do not diet. So therefore the food I will be eating is no different with the exception of desserts and even then I will moderate what I eat. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :wink:
  • mn145
    mn145 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am not putting any restrictions on myself tomorrow. I plan to eat what I want and log it. I find that if I deny myself, I end up bingeing later. I plan on exercising the morning of and have been exercising this week to help offset the damage.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Had planned to enjoy a day with extended family eating delicious food (and logging all of it)...but child #4 woke with a 103 fever this morning, so it looks like we're scaling it back to enjoy a day with immediate family eating delicious food (and logging all of it).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I will be having 2 (maybe 3) Thanksgiving dinners, plus leftovers during Scrabble that night Most of it will cooked by others so I won't log. I have no illusions that I won't overeat. And no illusions that I won't feel guilty afterward. It's the same every year, but such is my life. :ohwell:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    PANIC!!!!!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Probably suicide by turkey.
  • schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever I want. It's one day! :D
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've already logged everything I plan on eating tomorrow. Not too bad... just under 2,000 calories.

But, game plan is just ENJOY THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its ONE day. Just don't make it a full season.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    by binging
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    PANIC!!!!!

Way too late for that. That needed to start a month ago.

However, now is the perfect time to start panicking for Christmas food.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Im giving myself a free day.

More likely Ill plan/log breakfast and lunch but dinner is off. For one because i just started and id feel silly measuring food at someones house and its Turkey Day!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    What approach have you decided to take to all the delicious food offered for the Thanksgiving holiday? Making your personal choices ahead of time can help you deal with the day your own way. Do you have any ideas to share with all of us here on MFP? Do you plan to log in and count your calories on Thanksgiving, or will you take a day off? Have you decided to avoid certain foods? Will you give yourself special permission for certain things? Will you work out longer the day before or after to make up a calorie overage? Will you opt out of the meal altogether? Please share your ideas for coping with all that gorgeous food!

Whatever you decide, happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

I am taking tomorrow as a cheat day. I am fairly certain that I can make healthy choices, but nothing is going to be forbidden for me.

On the off chance that I manage to eat obscene amounts of food, I have been adding 5 minutes to my cardio time all week...and will probably do it next week too.

I am cooking tomorrow. I am making dinner for 15--turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, buttermilk biscuits and pumpkin pie. My brother and sister are bringing broccoli cheese casserole, sweet potato souffle, and one other thing ( can't remember what it is).
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever I want. It's one day! :D

^^This and running my @ss off! Happy Thanksgiving!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    . . . by eating everything I can shove in my face and not logging one bit of it.

I'll probably post pictures of it all on Instagram too just to piss y'all off.
  • SarahJane139
    SarahJane139 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Deciding what to splurge on is my mode of coping with thanksgiving. I'm not willing to give up a piece of my mom's famous pecan pie but I know I will enjoy the meal just fine without gravy. I am planning on filling more of my plate with turkey than I normally do, it is lower calorie than all the side dishes! I am not going to go without mashed potatoes but I really do not need a dinner roll.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal Oct 16 and have been working on my Holiday extra loss...I have #3 to play with so will probably taste everything but in moderation and try my hardest to log what I'm eating as it will not be the traditional Turkey Meal, but a Brunch Lunch Menu with eggs, ham, bacon, fruit, some veggies and Cinnamon Rolls....Also I will do my workout before I head out to DIL's.
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    By eating how I always eat...in moderation! My cheat day is Friday! Not Thanksgiving ;)
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Bringing a dish I know is okay for me to eat, and then picking at everything else.