Women with emotional moms

Options
anemoneprose
anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
Are you similarly emotionally expressive/sensitive? Or do you tend to go in the opposite direction?

Mine's pretty touchy-feely, & expresses strong emotions, both positive and negative (and has them, a lot, lol). I'm a lot more reserved that way. (Mind you, she's from an 'old country', where people are just like that. I grew up in a place where people are a bit more conservative, that makes a difference too.)

I sometimes enjoy this about her - she can be a lot of fun, & cheerful, and that's great. And people go to her for support, which she's good at offering. Other times I find myself irritated, and wish she'd be more rational.

Replies

• toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    My mom is crazy.

Yup, I pretty much followed suit. ;)
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Aren't the majority of women emotional?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My mom and I are emotional twins. We are both highly intelligent, highly sarcastic, opinionated, and pretty b!tchy. We are affectionate with close family and friends and a little stand-offish with others.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My mom is a rollercoaster. But these days she views me more as an equal in some ways (she views me as a threat, or someone to compete with and be jealous of, rather than proud of) but still tries to act like a normal loving proud mom in other ways. Sometimes she wants to take care of me and spoil me, we go shopping - clearance racks only though. And other times she complains about any penny she spends on me even though my 3 brothers still live at her house and on her groceries, and I moved out when I was 18. She goes back and forth between her emotions.

Like last year at Thanksgiving I made all the food while she was being all emotional in her bedroom. She went back and forth between being mad at me for stealing the show and being "mom" (and thinking that I thought I was better than her) and being thankful and proud and loving my good food and saying I was the best daughter ever. We'll see how things go tomorrow for Thanksgiving!

I don't think I've followed in her footsteps. I'm pretty straight forward and pretty consistent.. I don't know, maybe I'll be crazy one day too lol
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    My mom and I are emotional twins. We are both highly intelligent, highly sarcastic, opinionated, and pretty b!tchy. We are affectionate with close family and friends and a little stand-offish with others.

That's a bit of luck! I guess you get along pretty well, then?
  • anemoneprose
    Options

I guess, as a group, and by comparison to men. It depends what you mean. I think the consensus is that for a range of reasons, we're more inclined to pick up on emotional/social cues, and motivated to respond to them.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My mother is one of the most emotional women I know. As for me, the last time I cried was 2 years ago after a bad breakup & I was drunk. I've gone in the complete opposite direction. People can generally tell if I'm happy but the only way you'd know if I was upset or angry or anything else would be to ask.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    My mom is a rollercoaster. But these days she views me more as an equal in some ways (she views me as a threat, or someone to compete with and be jealous of, rather than proud of) but still tries to act like a normal loving proud mom in other ways. Sometimes she wants to take care of me and spoil me, we go shopping - clearance racks only though. And other times she complains about any penny she spends on me even though my 3 brothers still live at her house and on her groceries, and I moved out when I was 18. She goes back and forth between her emotions.

Like last year at Thanksgiving I made all the food while she was being all emotional in her bedroom. She went back and forth between being mad at me for stealing the show and being "mom" (and thinking that I thought I was better than her) and being thankful and proud and loving my good food and saying I was the best daughter ever. We'll see how things go tomorrow for Thanksgiving!

I don't think I've followed in her footsteps. I'm pretty straight forward and pretty consistent.. I don't know, maybe I'll be crazy one day too lol

Aw, man, sorry it's that way for you. Yeah, I think these relationships can be pretty intense, room for all kinds of stuff in them. Especially if mothers have had stressful motherhoods (and ESPECIALLY when menopause and midlife crisis come into play, that's ten good years of fun.)

Hope Thanksgiving goes well for you.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My Mom is honestly a sociopath. I hope I don't follow in her footsteps! But to be honest, I'm 27 years old, and not even really sure who I am yet, lol. So I guess I could turn out as crazy as she is...
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Mine's a nut........... not in the good way. I tell my husband sometimes that I'm worried that's my destiny. He assures me it's not, ha.

I'm very much the opposite. I'm not a complusive liar, a drama queen or someone that's never going to be happy or satisfied by anything. I've sailed 180* from that s***.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

That's a bit of luck! I guess you get along pretty well, then?

Now, absolutely. When I was a teenager, the fights were epic lol
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My mom is super-extroverted and super-emotional. My sister followed in her footsteps, and I went in the complete opposite direction. I found putting a large geographic distance between us improved our relationship dramatically. :wink:

My mom is all about Feelings, which drives me nuts. If we're walking down the street, she insists on making at least 10 minutes of boring small talk with every single stranger that we encounter, while I stand there squirming and wanting to escape. I find it absolutely exhausting to keep up with her level of emotional intensity, and I've learned to limit what I share with her because she turns everything into a huge endless drama.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    My mom Is pretty high strung and anxious. She tends to *try* to stay collected but you can see it building. Then it's one extreme to the next. She might laugh while she's crying or make a joke while she's mad. She just holds it back for so long that the flood gates open. Lol

I'm always laid back. Never rattled. Even when I probably should be. My siblings are explosive and emotional. But to be fair I'm adopted and theyew not. I think I inherited a large chunk of my personality. Lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no. i'm just the opposite. i think it's because i pretty much had to emotionally take care of her when i was growing up. besides that i didnt like being emotionally manipulated so i dont do it to others.

the good thing about growing up with crazy mom is that i never had to be a people pleaser so i have no problems with taking charge, being bossy and telling people to screw off :laugh:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My mum is a psycho and literally cries about EVERYTHING. She also is the most affectionate thing in the world.
    I however, followed suit with my Dad. He is pretty emotionless and awkward. As am I. I get super awkward when people cry around me, when they're constantly hugging me, and it takes something absolutely devastating to make me cry.

So I spose if you're not like one parent, you're probably like the other!! haha
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My mom is emotionally unstable and just plumb flippin crazy.

I may feel emotional at times, but I don't often show negative emotions. In 13 years of marriage, the only time I've cried in front of my husband is after my father died. I don't know if that's from a screwed-up childhood, or if that's just my personality.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    My mom cries over EVERYTHING!! She's so emotional over dumb stuff.
    I on the other hand is completely opposite. If im crying you better run, Because that means you've pissed me the hell off and in about to probably beat the hell out of someone or someone close to me died, and in that situation, don't touch me, let me be,let me have my moment cause after that, i do what i do best, take care of everybody else.
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My mom is the most emotionally detached and introverted person I know. Sometimes I wish she was more emotional because then I would know how she's feeling but she just keeps everything in. I used to be JUST LIKE HER but as I'm getting older I am changing. I realize that having some level of emotion is healthier for me.
  • springb513
    springb513 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine's a nut........... not in the good way. I tell my husband sometimes that I'm worried that's my destiny. He assures me it's not, ha.

I'm very much the opposite. I'm not a complusive liar, a drama queen or someone that's never going to be happy or satisfied by anything. I've sailed 180* from that s***.

Are we sisters?

My mom is way too emotional - and now loves to share every emotion on Facebook.

I consider myself an emotional wreck, but I work very hard to keep it private and appear stable ... and I must be doing a great job - my mother-in-law thinks I am "emotionless."
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

In my experience, men are actually a lot more emotional than women.