MFP Isn't counting calories right ?

Options
So here are my macros guys! Carb and protein counts for four calories while fat counts for nine calories !! Add them up and do the math the total will come up to 2452 calories... Is any one experiencing the same problem ?

Carbs+ Protein = 478 * 4 = 1912
Fat = 60 * 9 = 540
Total calories are 2452

Untitled.png

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I see something similar. It appears though that the MFP calorie total is just adding the calories from each line item but the individual line items may not precisely equal 4,4, or 9 calories/gram. Example, I have a line item for 2 cups of coffee which is listed as 5 calories - 1g Protein - 0 carb - 0 fat. So I can see that lot of entries that, due to rounding and/or food labeling imprecision would add up to a noticable difference over the course of a day. That's my guess anyhow.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's probably the fiber. MFP doesn't multiply the macros to get the total calories, they're all just separate entries. And in the US, manufacturers can list fiber as either 4 or 0 calories - look on a package of "diet" food and you'll see how this works. So, for example, a protein powder I have has 15g protein, 2g fat, 17g carbs/15g fiber - and the total for a serving on the package is 90 calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of inaccurate data in the user created database that can cause this.
  • wazzanz
    Options
    You might have an item in there where someone has entered the total calories but not entered all the breakdown in.... or the other way around...
  • imondrugz
    Options
    I never count calories i only count macros!! I thought i'd share this to make people aware of this.. Best of luck with your goals guys! Hope this helped some people !!
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    yes I have and it is annoying. The count was 100 calories light yesterday- assuming the macros were correct. I suspect it is a combo of manufacturers not being accurate on labels, and users not being careful on entering. Every time I have checked them they are wrong.

I used to use another site that when you created an item it did the math on the macros and warned you they didn't match (usually it was manufacturer labels that were wrong). Then I usually guessed to fudge the macros and calories to add up.

Wish MFP did that calculation/safeguard.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    omg so im probably eating MORE than i realize? crap!
  • imondrugz
    Options
    omg so im probably eating MORE than i realize? crap!
    It's not a huge difference it's like 100~300 calories difference and don't stress about it too much !! If your losing weight your good lol !!