Advice/Experience about Insanity

Options
So, this winter I need to find something I can do indoors during the winter months. And I know a lot of you do Insanity, and I have decided that it would be perfect for the winter time. I am hoping it will help me shed these last 25 pounds, and get me ready to meet my goal of wearing a bikini at the beach this summer. I plan on purchasing it after Christmas along with a HRM so I can be a little more accurate with my calories.

With that being said I am scared. lol. It looks sooooo intense. And soo hard and I am in no means an athlete. My biggest accomplishment so far is my first 5K which is tomorrow morning. I've been training since August and it is the first time I have ever finished something I set out to do- and I plan on picking up on 5K's once it gets warm again.

I find I do better with structure- which insanity seems to fit that bill perfectly. But, I also don't want to get discouraged and not do it.

So- I guess what I am looking for is what to expect. Some advice on how to push through the program and complete it. Did you get addicted to it after the first round? And what were your results? Were they as good as they claim on the commericials?

Thanks so much everyone!

Replies

• pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have done a few DVD workouts and not to scare you but just like the info. commercial says, Insanity is the hardest workout out there!! I describe it as it breaks you down and then builds you back up. As long as you commit yourself and stay discipline you will do fine. Don't worry about keeping pace with those in the DVD ( I don't think they are human... LOL) just do your best and take breaks when you need them. I really like the idea of the fitness test both at the beginning of the program and then every 2 weeks... great way of seeing your progress.

Good Luck
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Jillian Michaels BodybRevolution or some of the other Beachbody ones? You could do those first.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm in the minority - but other DVDs I've tried (like the 30DS) have been too short & too easy to keep my interest. INSANITY is the first I've found where I feel like I've actually gotten a decent workout.

Just go for it. Don't feel like you have to stay at the pace set by the video participants. If you need to stop for a drink of water, then get yourself a drink of water. If you need to pause it just to catch your breath, then pause it. If you can't do a pushup from a full plank position, then modify it to your knees until you can. You know how hard you can push yourself, tailor it to your needs. You do repeat workouts and you'll find yourself getting better as you go.
  • amy4586
    amy4586 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jaz- I haven't but I think I will now. I just want something that is a decent enough workout for everyday while I'm stuck in doors for the winter.
  • amy4586
    amy4586 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! I figured it would be super hard but I'm thinking it will be okay. I also liked the fact you don't need anything else- just the DVD
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Insanity is super awesome. After the first day I was hooked. I completed month 1 with ease and loved getting my workouts in every day. I didn't miss a single day in 5 weeks. (I was in pretty good shape already, I love cardio and play a lot of sports in my free time). Then for some reason I found month 2 EXTREMELY harder than month 1 and I couldn't make it through. So, in the end, I fell off the bandwagon. I still really liked the program. The workouts are intense but also fun and you can pause the DVD when you need to to catch your breath.
  • nikkinz
    nikkinz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried to go as fast a possible and didn't pay enough attention to my form and sprained my ankle. I will be starting agin Dec 1st but will be more careful this time around.