Scared to Eat!

Options
So I just started using mfp just under a week ago. I set my calories at 1200 as so many others do and mostly I eat around 1100. I've just visited fat2fit and calculated out my calories using their calculator according to that I should be eating around 1600 calories a day. That seems like alot to me! I'm not an exerciser, I have taken up swimming and by that I mean kickoard, flippers and lots of laps...trying to become a swimmer...lol. and I on,y get to do this 2-3 times per week. I'm 162cm tall, weigh 73kg and my goal is just to get to 65kg and probably 60kg after that. I don't want fast weight loss, just want the scales consistently heading in the right direction. Interested in other peoples experiences of numbers of calories to eat.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So I just started using mfp just under a week ago. I set my calories at 1200 as so many others do and mostly I eat around 1100. I've just visited fat2fit and calculated out my calories using their calculator according to that I should be eating around 1600 calories a day. That seems like alot to me! I'm not an exerciser, I have taken up swimming and by that I mean kickoard, flippers and lots of laps...trying to become a swimmer...lol. and I on,y get to do this 2-3 times per week. I'm 162cm tall, weigh 73kg and my goal is just to get to 65kg and probably 60kg after that. I don't want fast weight loss, just want the scales consistently heading in the right direction. Interested in other peoples experiences of numbers of calories to eat.

You claim to not want a crash diet, but then you eat a super low calorie amount? :huh: If you want to do it the healthy way you need to eat. If you want a crash diet where you lose a bunch of weight and then gain it all back in a couple months because it's not sustainable then keep up what you're doing.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Swimming is one of those activities that burns a major amount of calories in a short period of time. Eat more on the days that you go swimming!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Swimming is one of those activities that burns a major amount of calories in a short period of time. Eat more on the days that you go swimming!

Eat more every day...You don't have much to lose, don't mess yourself up for life - start reading and do it the only way that works...slowly...Which means you actually have to eat....
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    according to that I should be eating around 1600 calories a day. That seems like alot to me!

it's not
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to become a swimmer, you're going to need to eat. Just because a certain amount of calories "seems like" a lot to you, doesn't mean it is. Everyone needs a different amount depending on age, weight etc.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do not agree that 1200 is crash dieting. I lost my weight overall at a rate of lb per week which is a sensible rate. I did eat back any additional calories burnt exercising or even doing cleaning. I am now upping my cals to maintain my weight.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do not eat below 1200 though or you will definitely be crash dieting
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The MFP recommendations are fine. Just follow them and eat back exercise calories. 1200 net calories may not be too little depending on your age and how much you have to lose.

If you have < 50 lbs to lose, don't set your goal at 2 lbs per week, or at least don't keep it there for long.

If you have < 30 lbs. to lose, you'll probably have better success at .5 to 1 lb per week.

Whatever you set it at keep in mind that you might need to tweak it. All of these online tools - MFP, Fat2Fit, etc. - work on averages and aren't exact for many people. If you are hungry a lot or losing too fast, eat more. If you are not losing or losing too slowly and you are not hungry, eat less.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I do not agree that 1200 is crash dieting. I lost my weight overall at a rate of lb per week which is a sensible rate. I did eat back any additional calories burnt exercising or even doing cleaning. I am now upping my cals to maintain my weight.

If you're referring to my comment to OP said they eat below that and then exercise on top of that - resulting in a much lower net than even the 1100 they're eating.
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump for later