Self-Image (Struggling today)

Options
2»

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I try to use the "fat" pictures of myself as motivation. My school ID shows me as looking very puffy and unhealthy looking. I stood in front of the mirror and compared how I looked then to how I look now and I feel so much better. I look younger and healthier. When I am totally where I want to be, I'll "lose" this ID and pay for a new one. Cameras do add pounds so try not to focus so much on that. When you reach your goal, you'll have a new photo to post on facebook.
    Yes, it's hard to struggle with your weight. But, it's worth it. You keep going and think how good you'll feel when you have the new beautiful pictures to post.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I hear ya Lina. Pictures can be so hard to deal with. I deliberately put a picture of myself in my profile here from when I was my heaviest. It hurts me every time I look at it, but even if it seems negative, it provides motivation and determination form me to continue to work at losing weight.

A long time ago I read an article about what men find to be the sexiest quality in a woman. And the answer was sooooo surprising to me. It was: confidence. Yes, CONFIDENCE! Confidence IS sexy!

Those of us struggling with our self-esteem due to how we look most likely also have a deficit in the confidence column. Finding that confidence and building up self-esteem is an incredible process. I listen to self-esteem building self-hypnosis CD's at night. I usually fall asleep listening to them, I figure my sub-conscious brain can absorb when I'm asleep and my mind isn't all full of my conscious noise. Re-writing the little messages we tell ourselves is of huge importance. What ever your path to achieving self-confidence is, engage with it and don't ever give up!

I read a blog in here not too long ago that made me think these thoughts that I wrote in my private blog. I'll leave you with these thoughts because somehow they seem relevant to this discussion:

ruminating on a blog I read earlier

the psychology of fat

remembering myself as a teenager, believing I was fat at 5'5" and 120 lbs

realizing I've never been comfortable with my weight

thinking of a saying I heard recently: YOU DON'T REALIZE YOU WERE HAPPY UNTIL YOU'RE NOT ANYMORE

pondering my life of mostly living alone, connecting that reality with thinking "it doesn't matter what I look like....it's just me here"

finding a reason within myself to improve FOR MYSELF, and making sure I believe I'm worth it!
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    I hate pics of myself, when I look in the mirror I think I look ok, good even. However every picture I seem to have a double chin, a big belly and am slightly bucked teeth. I think it's the way I stand or some thing, I don't know. But concentrate that people always look better (and thinner) in person and let the nasty pics slide.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You could be PMSing :flowerforyou: That always makes me feel ugly. :laugh:

I was at your exact place more than once during this journey. Remember how you feel right now... imagine how you would feel if you gave up and gained what you've lost. Slow and Steady :flowerforyou:

BTW,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73005-1-year-at-mfp-then-now

This is a Buddy of mine.... What a difference 1 single year can make :)
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I'm so on my period.

:laugh: