Lyrica and weight gain?

Options
I am hoping for some friendly MFP insight.

I am 3 pounds away from my weight loss goal and today I just started Lyrica. I've read that the most common side effect/complaint is weight gain. I am concerned about this, but I am also sick of being in constant pain so I'm going to give it a shot. I plan on continuing on my weight loss journey, keeping my calories the same (1300), and monitoring my weight. I am curious what other people's experiences are with Lyrica. Did you gain alot? A little? Any other side effects? Thanks in advance for any insight or feel free to send me a message. Thanks:smile:

And before I get any hassling for my calorie intake...
Female
32 Years old
4'11
103 pounds
Desk job
Currently most exercise is limited to walking, yoga, and stretching until pain management is under control and I would love to continue my previous routine once I am able.

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in knowing how this goes for you.. As we both have pain issues, both desk job... And Lyrica was one of those the doctor tried to put me on.. But I was afraid because I thought I would gain weight... I haven't actually gone on that thou.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was on it for years, at a very high dosage, and didn't notice too much in the weight gain area but then again was not at a good weight to begin with. I also didn't see much relief from it.
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have tried both Lyrica and Cymbalta....couldn't tolerate either! One made me have horrible mood swings(Cymbalta) and didn't help my pain. The Lyrica did help a little bit but I retained water on it so bad I had to quit using it.
  • leosaunt
    Options
    Hi.. I have taken a low dose of lyrica for nerve pain in my back for about 2 years - definitely have gained weight, though losing slowly now. But it's hard to say whether the weight gain just from the lyrica, or whether its more due to inactivity because of the pain, and also a hip replacement. The only problem I really had with it was that it made me very drowsy when on a higher dose. I feel on the whole that its a matter of try it and see because it can be really good for nerve pain relief , but keep a careful check on how you are feeling.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! So far it sounds like most did not get much relief from it....I was hoping to get relief from and it cut down on the amount of pills I've been taking a day to save my stomach a bit.
  • leska1216
    Options
    Took Lyrica once. Just once. That was enough for me. Was supposed to take 3 pills but took only 1 pill. Was on a stoned high for 36 hrs. Dumped the rest down the toilet. Now on Gabapentine and not gaining or losing due to meds, and have little pain relief.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Lyrica and gabapentin have been a godsend for me and my pain, but it does cause wt. gain and fatigue. I have to watch what I eat due to not being able to work out like most people can. You can lose on the meds. I know because I have. I take 3 lyrica a day and 9 gabapentin to control my pain...I still have some, but it is better controlled.
  • mackzaj
    Options
    I'm on 150mg 2x day and I've not noticed a difference at all. It works for me really well (the stoned feeling went away after a week) and with my IUD and cipralex, you'd think I'd be gaining all over the place, but nope. No problems. Eat well, exercise, drink your water, all is easier when not in pain.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been started at 3 tablets a day....Haven't had any stoned or weird feelings....or any pain relief yet either. So far I haven't noticed anything! I've only been on them a few days, so I will give it time. I think she said it would take about a week for it to fully take affect. I hope it works...