Diabetic + Overweight = Need to lose 87 pounds

Options
Well I am a newbie here, so hi to all. Basically I am 287 I have been diabetic for almost 2 years. Did well for the first 2 months, then that was it. I sit here now listening to my wife sleep (weighing 258) and realizing that this needs to be done. For now I pray for strengh that we can do this and tomorrow will be a new day and a fresh start.......

Replies

• corinne1019
    Options
    I feel your Pain,, I also being diagnosed in the last 2 years.. Doctors always say weight loss and cutting Carbs are the key to good blood sugars. I don't know about you,, I want so very much to reverse my diabetics,, so I don't have to take med's.. Don't be too hard on yourself.. I join myfitnesspal and recorded everyday and never saw any weightless for 3 weeks since then its been loss a couple lbs and gain back, BUT I started to feel good.. I have always Hated exercising but when i felt better it became easier, now i love it.. Just start walking.. who cares how far.. baby steps.. Trust me you will love the sun and breeze on your face.. I use my phone and Pandora for some music,, and I Classic rock and roll my way around the neighborhood. I too have a goal of weightless of more then 80 lbs.. I think of it of Finally Taking Care of myself and a journey.. no matter how long it takes.. please feel free to add me as a friend and we can follow the path of wellness together.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    welcome - and yes you can ("Bob-The-Builder mode: can we fix it, yes we can")
    best wishes and welcome - ignore the bullies (or even better, annoy the bullies), log everything and be amazed at what used to creep under your food-radar
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Welcome to MFP. Good luck on your journey. Well done you for making the first step. You can do this!!
    Feel free to add me for extra support
    Always looking for new friends
    xx
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You have made the most important step onto the road to success! The desire to win! You will find lots of support here from folks in the same canoe. Good luck!
  • Courage
    Courage Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Boy, can I identify with you. I know where you are and I've been there. I know I thought 87 pounds was impossible but it is NOT. Good job of getting back in there.
    This is a great place to get control of things, good advice and encouragement. Lots of prayers for you. The first few weeks are the toughest until you start seeing some result and start feeling better. The site gets easier after you get your favorites into the data base.
    Thanksgiving will be a challenge but enjoy the turkey and lots of low calorie vegetables. Maybe split a desert if you will feel deprived without it.
    There will be good days and bad days but just keep getting up and back to logging your food.
    Your only a failure if you do not keep coming back.
    Psalms 37: 1-5 Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
  • carfanman
    carfanman Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can do it, just try to remember to not let setbacks get you down, take each day one at a time and then the next thing you know you will have put to gether a string of good days.
  • slearley
    Options
    3 years ago I quit smoking (to get healthy) and within a few weeks my doc told me I had Diabetes. I gained 20 pounds when I quit the cancer sticks. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but now, losing weight has become my new "hardest" thing. 2 years ago, I joined a gym and started working out, I had some great success but then I dealt with 3 knee surgeries with the last being a replacement and then I lost 215 pounds (an ex husband). That all delayed the real work :). Now, I am on here hoping to finally put an end to this struggle. 1 month ago, I joined a weight loss program where they do a lot of medical testing, coach you all the way and work out with you and coach you on eating appropriate balances of carbs. fats and proteins. I am throwing everything at this, I am meticulous about logging here and on my body media armband. I work out 8 times a week, twice on Monday and Wednesday and I take Tuesdays off. I have lost 2 pound a week for the past 2 weeks and am excited. Most exciting is I have been able to come off insulin and Metformin. My sugars are running in the high 90s and after eating have not been over 140. OH, and I eat every 3 hours while awake. It has been tough, but it feels doable. My next addition to my journey is getting on here and supporting an being supported by like minded folks. Happy losing everyone!
  • renegade7779
    Options
    Hey Guys and Girls,

Thanks for all the replies, its gonna be great. I got a co-worker on this journey with me, he has to lose 120 lbs. Each day is new, why not do our best.......
  • AlexandraRoe
    Options
    Hi every one I need to lose almost a hundred pound or I will be diabetic in the very near future. Hopefully some of you would be interested in joining me on my prevent type 2 journey.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I've been a diabetic for 21 yrs. Please take care of the diabetes because there are serious complications if you don't. I had a heart attack, have neuropathy and retinopathy. I started losing my wt. when my doctor told me that I would die if I didn't. I know that you can do this. With God's and our help you will be able to do anything that you want to. Please feel free to add me.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You can do this. It takes a lot of persistence but the key is to get back on track no matter how many times you mess up. Just don't give up on yourself!
    :flowerforyou:
    Eat diabetic-friendly foods and stick to your MFP calorie allowance, get in some exercise, and you WILL succeed.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also a Diabetic have been for 10 years and I also have sleep apnea, I have about 60 pounds to lose, ny Dr. says if I lose the weight I will more than likely get of the insulin and reduce my other meds and also get of the Cpap machine. So I have a lot to look forward to. I eat as healthy as i can and exercise as much as I can, some days more than others. And I am feeling better. It's great if you have a buddy to wlak this journey with you. I would love to have you as a friend, so feel free to add me.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I wanted to pop in and say hello because you said you need to lose 87 pounds and, as of this morning, I have lost 87 pounds on MFP. I am proof it can be done and that doing it can make your life better and easier, not harder. I started out at 265 pounds and back then everything was harder - getting around, finding clothes, worrying about health risks, etc. My family has a history of bad joints and arthritis and I knew the extra weight was the equivalent of signing up for voluntary knee surgery. I decided I was tired of being my own worst enemy, tired of letting junk food companies make money at the expense of my health.

I'm down to 178 now and my final goal is in sight. I have never starved myself or injured myself by exercising too hard. I realized the key was just good healthy food, kicking my addictions to junk, and becoming more active. It's simple, but the hard part is doing it every day (when every day you want it to be "just this one time" you'll have pizza and chips instead). To succeed you need to build up new habits (cooking, and walking!) so it becomes part of your life. You need to stop thinking about just losing the weight, and start thinking about redesigning your life to be healthier from now on.

I have learned a lot this year and MFP's logging tools have kept me on track. The fantastic support structure here can really make a difference if you use it right. But remember, MFP is like real life: choose the right kind of friends and it makes a big difference. Lots of people on MFP do fad diets or starve themselves or eat over-processed diet food or consider it a disaster if they don't lose weight every week. Don't be distracted by people like that. Find friends who are eating real food, exercising in safe and sustainable ways, and who understand this is a long haul and persistence wins.

Start exercising in small ways, even if it's just a 10 minute walk each day. Learn to cook healthy meals from real, fresh foods and do your research on nutrition and exercise. Most of all, don't give up on yourself. There will be setbacks and failures, but they are part of the learning process. Each time you mess up, stop and understand why, and change your plan accordingly. The people who succeed don't succeed because they never screw up. They succeed because they don't let screwing up get in the way of their goals.