Evening drink

Options
I'm still in the habit of having a drink to relax in the evenings. I'm not talking about getting blotto, but just a couple of whiskies. I'm still losing weight but I worry that without this is slowing things down. Anyone else in the same position?

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes! I have a glass or 2 of red wine , usually 3 or 4 nights a week, and yes even though I am within calories, I believe its slowing me down...when you drink, your body is going to burn the alcohol before any food you have eaten I guess, and thats where it gets tricky. or something along those lines...I can't remember exactly. I do know if I haven't had any wine for 3 or 4 days I feel great and feel better inmy clothes..coincidence??:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, not whiskey, but I have wine with dinner most evenings. And beer when football is on.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have been working on eliminating my red wine habit for a few reasons. One thing that helped is looking at it this way. Assuming that nothing else changes:

Two drinks a night at 125 calories per drink = 250 calories a day and 91,250 calories a year. Which at 3500 calories per pound - That's 26 pounds a year.
  • Martoch
    Martoch Posts: 166
    Options
    Beer is my weakness - I have a bottle or two most nights when I'm relaxing and way too much during NFL football season, especially if my Steelers aren't doing well like this past Sunday. I try to work it into my macros, but I'm not always successful.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I have been working on eliminating my red wine habit for a few reasons. One thing that helped is looking at it this way. Assuming that nothing else changes:

Two drinks a night at 125 calories per drink = 250 calories a day and 91,250 calories a year. Which at 3500 calories per pound - That's 26 pounds a year.

Only if you don't burn it off.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Much same position just the last few weeks, was on the wagon for a couple of months, then I think I got cocky and started back on booze.

So far no big effect, still on downward slope, but I do know it does affect my weight loss and general well being, and TBH it is my foolishness that allows this

But we are human, and, given my age [69] reckon I can continue to lose weight & still survive until grim reaper comes calling
  • alaskaang
    Options

Not true if "nothing else changes".
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i love me some whisky!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I drink 2-3 nights a week usually to excess on the weekends. I haven't found it slows me down other than the temptation to eat bad foods after drinking. If I go home and have a healthy snack I can usually avoid the temptations. The main bar district in my town is just over a mile from my house so I walk there and back home to help offset the alcohol calories. I also try to stay active while I'm out (pool, foosball, dancing) instead of just posting up on a bar stool.
  • MarinaReed
    Options
    A lot of the time, people reach for a glass of wine for some reason beyond social drinking or just loving the taste. Sometimes I have a sweet tooth and crack open a bottle of Lambrusco or fruit wine, and other nights I just need something to soothe me after a hard day. Often people use wine to satisfy a craving - if I hadn't had a glass of wine last night, maybe I would have reached for a chocolate bar instead! It's not really practical to say that cutting wine from your diet will help you automatically lose weight, because for many people alcohol is a part of their lives and they may need to find some other food or beverage or habit to replace it effectively.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Eh, the same is true of any added calories. 125 calories is pretty easy to burn.
  • alaskaang
    Options
    A lot of the time, people reach for a glass of wine for some reason beyond social drinking or just loving the taste. Sometimes I have a sweet tooth and crack open a bottle of Lambrusco or fruit wine, and other nights I just need something to soothe me after a hard day. Often people use wine to satisfy a craving - if I hadn't had a glass of wine last night, maybe I would have reached for a chocolate bar instead! It's not really practical to say that cutting wine from your diet will help you automatically lose weight, because for many people alcohol is a part of their lives and they may need to find some other food or beverage or habit to replace it effectively.

Understand what you are saying and would have likely argued the same a few months ago when trying to justify it. However, for myself this is not the case. Over the past month I have been eating what I want, using my scale to maintain current weight range, but tracking everything. Overall my total calories have averaged right at 2000 calories. If I subtract the alcohol, the average is 1675, but on days that I don't drink the average is 1638. So for me, I'm not replacing the alcohol with something else on days that I don't drink and actually eat less calories on average.

Calories aside, I accomplish much more on days I don't drink and am more motivated to workout.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Understand what you are saying and would have likely argued the same a few months ago when trying to justify it. However, for myself this is not the case. Over the past month I have been eating what I want, using my scale to maintain current weight range, but tracking everything. Overall my total calories have averaged right at 2000 calories. If I subtract the alcohol, the average is 1675, but on days that I don't drink the average is 1638. So for me, I'm not replacing the alcohol with something else on days that I don't drink and actually eat less calories on average.

Calories aside, I accomplish much more on days I don't drink and am more motivated to workout.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. Wine is what motivates me to work out.
  • Alishamarie48879
    Alishamarie48879 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 3lbs from goal weight. I drink 4 times per week...sometimes a little, sometimes a lot...sometimes less. It hasn't slowed me down. I watch my food that day and I exercise 7 days a week. The only risks I see are binging when drunk, or feeling to ****ty the next day to exercise.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

Eh, the same is true of any added calories. 125 calories is pretty easy to burn.

agreed, you can burn off alcohol calories just like food calories
  • SammyLou28
    Options
    If you can fit it into your calorie limit for the day, it's not really a problem unless you make it one.
  • jkj454
    Options
    Interesting topic, I've been thinking the same thing lately too.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I usually don't drink during the week but may have one or two (or even 3) on the weekends. This week is different. SInce I don't have to work tomorrow I will be having one or two tonight. Yes, I do think it might slow down weight-loss even if it fits into your calories, but I don't care. For me it is a wonderful shared experience (usually with my man) and one of the small pleasures I get in life so it will likely continue. I drink red wine though so in moderation it does have some benefits unlike whiskey and such.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has a lot of calories but they get burned off pretty quickly, so it's not a big deal to have a shot or two! :drinker:
  • Tastyduckbutter
    Tastyduckbutter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me it's the taste, and one of the great pleasures in life I don't want to give up. I gave up smoking (another favourite) years ago and what with an office job and an increased sense of taste, managed to pile on the weight. I'm pretty strict with myself and only have a few more on a Friday night. I guess moderation is the key.