Being Gluten-Free

Options
Living a GF lifestyle is actually easier than you might expect. When I was told that I was gluten intolerant last spring I really struggled with the idea. How on earth could I give up pasta, breads, and all those yummy things made with wheat? For about 5 months I didn't give it up. I ignored my doctors advice and remained a bloated mess.

In September I finally cracked down on myself and decided that it was time for me to make a change and I eliminated gluten from my diet. Over the last few months I have reduced my bloat by a whole, sometimes two, pant sizes. I have energy again and I am no longer stuck in a "fog". And I'm...TMI..regular.

It's amazing what a simple change can do for your overall health. The fantastic thing is that I can still eat all of those things that I used to enjoy before going GF. There are so many great GF products out there now and many of the foods I've always enjoyed are naturally GF.

Now, with this upcoming holiday season I am a bit nervous. Not everyone in my family/friends circle is GF and there are not always GF options on our holiday table. Plus, I LOVE LOVE LOVE holiday cookies. Mm mm!

The whole point of this post was to see how other MFP's are adjusting to a GF lifestyle or how you've all overcome the gluten temptations. Post away :)

Replies

• MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just started eating paleo (which happens to be glutten free) last week.

There are lots of recipes that substitute coconut or almond flour out there that you could use to make some tasty holiday treats!

Christmas is going to be hard for me as well, my family is full of foodies who love sweats and treats and our get togethers tend to be a bit over the top.
    I'm going to have to try my hand at some baking to avoid all the tasty glutten and processed sugar filled crap that will be there.

In the short term, I keep a bar of lindt 85% dark chocolate in my bag and nibble on a square whenever I'm craving sugar. It is so tasty, but not terrible for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My husband has a wheat allergy and my granddaughter is celiac but we found the easiest way to deal with it is to just eliminate those items. The GF replacements are expensive and they often pack way more calories than the originals do. Rice pasta has to be the grossest slimey mess! $7 for a loaf of bread, no thanks!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Being gluten free was a great decision for me. I don't have any official diagnosis of a gluten intolerance, but when I eat it I get bloated, have painful joints, and my vision gets bad. I had some gluten 3 weeks ago and I am still paying the price with blurry, painful eyes.

I don't find it very difficult most of the time, but I do struggle on vacation. My part of the country makes it very easy to eat gluten free, with most restaurants having a gluten free menu or options, but many areas are behind making it very hard to eat when on vacation and not get a gluten exposure.

I don't typically do gluten free replacements (bread, pasta. etc) except for this time of the year when making my own gluten free desserts keeps me on track and healthy!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    For around the holiday table, just make sure you have options for your favorite things. The biggest one for me this year is stuffing. I don't like GF bread, so instead of using a substitue, I'm making a wild rice dish with all of the other flavors, ingredients, and spices that are normally in my stuffing. Sweets are pretty easy to adapt as well. Our pumpkin pie is just getting a nut/coconut crust.
  • adeboyace
    Options
    Have been GF/Celiac for ~6 yrs. It was tough the first year with many public crying breakdowns at restaurants! But after that year it got easier! And after "cheating" for the first time on apple fritters from the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge, Tn I learned that there is no food worth feeling that sick over! 2 days of nausea, stomach cramps....and you know the rest! LOL
    I find the toughest thing is when you have a craving for something but you cant just run and get it. Then I eat something else but tend to overeat because I dont feel fulfilled in what I wanted to begin with....thus why I am on this site! :ohwell:
  • adeboyace
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! That is awesome!:smile:
  • charminglochie
    charminglochie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My husband has a wheat allergy and my granddaughter is celiac but we found the easiest way to deal with it is to just eliminate those items. The GF replacements are expensive and they often pack way more calories than the originals do. Rice pasta has to be the grossest slimey mess! $7 for a loaf of bread, no thanks!
    I love rice pasta but I think I'm weird because dh hates it too!!:wink:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Being gluten free for over 20 years and its a lot easier today than it was then. I struggle only because of other allergies. We went away at the weekend and hubby was able to have gluten free bread etc that the hotel kept a stock of.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My bf has celiac disease so I eat almost entirely gluten free and it is a piece of gluten free cake once you get the hang of it lol =)
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    also, the BIGGEST thing during the holidays is gravy. Obviously avoid that unless someone tells you they specifically made it gluten free. A more hidden problem comes with the mashed potatoes, as many of the low fat creams and cheeses people use in their special recipes contain gluten fillers. depending how sensitive you are, even the turkey can be a problem if it is cooked with the stuffing inside it, but my bf is usually okay to take a chance on that one lol =)
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been gluten free now for a few years after my doctor told me I was intolerant, and it's been great. At first I gave up everything and went with no substitutes for almost six months. After that I started to try out gluten free breads and pastas sometimes and honestly I can't taste the difference anymore, but mostly I just stay away from those things because they lost the appeal (or maybe I just broke the habit). So generally I don't eat cake or brownies or cookies or anything like that, and if I see a gluten free one cross my path I'll say IT'S FATE and indulge but I won't go out of my way to have them.

My biggest problem for weight loss is that my family has become super supportive of my gluten-freeness and have therefore changed all of the treats so that they are gluten free just for me (and most of the rest of them don't even notice). The sentiment is nice, but every time I go home I have to eat the gluten free treats just to be polite because they were made because of me. Oh well ;-)
  • gottaTuscany
    gottaTuscany Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My bf has celiac disease so I eat almost entirely gluten free and it is a piece of gluten free cake once you get the hang of it lol =)

LOL
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I also made the decision to go wheat-free, gluten-free about two months ago and I feel so much better. I don't have an allergy or celiac or anything like that but decided to do it for overall better health. Since I began eating WF/GF, my blood pressure is lower and my sugars (I'm hypoglycemic) are great! However, since I don't have terrible reactions to eating it, I will indulge every once in a while but I notice that when I do, I feel like crap for a few days afterwards.

As for the holidays, I plan on eating whatever is fixed (since my family and I will be eating with the extended family), but I will eat in moderation and stop when I am full. After two years, it has become a habit so I won't have any problems pushing away from the table when I need to do so. On Friday, I'll be back on the wagon and working toward my weight loss goals which is 15 more pounds to goal weight.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for about 6-8 months for allergy reasons. (I really wish I had known sooner, would have made my quality of life much better). My mother in law has actually gone out of her way to make sure everything was Gluten Free for Thanksgiving because her daughter also had gluten sensitivity. It's fair to assume nothing at my grandmother's will be gluten free but I have the excuse of already eating earlier in the day so I will just bring some safe dishes I can eat.

As far as temptation, every time I think it will be worth it to go ahead and eat something that will make me sick, I have a few hours/days of misery to reflect on my poor decision and this lovely rash on my elbows to remind me for the next several weeks not to do that again. The hardest part of me has been to remember to read the labels and look for alternate names, and finding restaurants where I can eat things I know will be safe.

Congratulations on your weigh loss, if you didn't know already there is a gluten free group on here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/112-gluten-free
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the most recent Gluten-free Living magazine. The have tons of holiday baking recipes!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Living a GF lifestyle is actually easier than you might expect. It's amazing what a simple change can do for your overall health. The fantastic thing is that I can still eat all of those things that I used to enjoy before going GF. There are so many great GF products out there now and many of the foods I've always enjoyed are naturally GF.

The whole point of this post was to see how other MFP's are adjusting to a GF lifestyle or how you've all overcome the gluten temptations. Post away :)
    ^I agree, it's not that hard. But as you've mentioned with the holidays coming it can be testy.

I've not officially diagnosed by a Dr. or anything, I wanted to see what kind of impact (if any) this would make on my goal to lose weight. Like you, the belly bloating has come down quite a bit. I've been doing this for about 3 months now. I was in a size 14 but can get in a 12 & some 10's w/o the bulge in front.
    My fiance & I do have hypertension and while doing some research I found that these grains (rice, corn, wheat & soy) causes inflammation which in turn raises our blood sugar. We're also on a low carb diet to help keep our blood sugars under control. We don't eat any of the pre-made gluten-free products as I have yet to find one that is free of rice, corn, wheat & soy all at once. I try to avoid them like the plague. I do use the almond & coconut flours for my crust when I make my low carb cheese cake (so far that's all I've ever made as a sweet treat) And yes, some of those flours can be pricey which is the other reason why I haven't tried baking yet.

Aside from that congradulations on your weightloss & cheers :drinker: to you on your gluten free journey. I hope it all works out for ya' and keep up the good work.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    We don't eat any of the pre-made gluten-free products as I have yet to find one that is free of rice, corn, wheat & soy all at once. I try to avoid them like the plague. I do use the almond & coconut flours for my crust when I make my low carb cheese cake (so far that's all I've ever made as a sweet treat) And yes, some of those flours can be pricey which is the other reason why I haven't tried baking yet.

If you do want to make something once in awhile, check out Paleo recipes. They should be completely grain, rice, soy, and dairy free.
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Shelley - I recently was told to do a 3 month trial of GF. My blood sugar is high, I am very sensitive to high carbs (eat too many, and I gain significant weight), and I have one of the celiac markers. Honestly, bread/baked goods are a problem/trigger food for me anyway. I don't care for the GF breads much, and keep some in the freezer just in case I just HAVE to have some.
    I find that doing whole foods that naturally don't have gluten works best for me, instead of gluten-free this, gluten-free that. Because a lot of the "gluten free this and that" are snack foods, or high in carbs/sugar, which I can't do anyway. I do like the Mary's Gone Crackers products if I crave a crunchy snack (and even have have a hard time stopping because I like them so much...crackers & pretzel sticks).

There are some good GF frozen pizza crusts...I find them to be better than the local pizzeria's attempts at a GF crust! But make things yourself when you can, and you'll know what's in it. So volunteer to bring something to parties, etc.. Use substitute flours for recipes calling for regular flour, use corn starch as a thickener (works great, but use less than you would when using flour), and a little creativity goes a long way. I've had some failures (like GF muffins...ewww!), but I keep trying. My solution for Thanksgiving is that I'm making the dinner. I am making traditional bread stuffing for my family, but I'll have a little mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey and veggies. I'm good with that! I just need a taster while I'm making the stuffing. Lots of volunteers in my house!

I've adjusted better than I thought I would. I LOVE bread!!
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten and wheat free now because my boyfriend is celiac's, and it's not incredibly hard. I do it when he's around mainly, and the habit just transfers over when I'm alone because I also eat (mainly) paleo, and I figure if I want to cook for him, it doesn't hurt to also eat like he does for the most part. I don't do a lot of substitutions mainly because of cost, but instead just use different things, so cornstarch instead of flour for gravy, quinoa or wild rice as a carb if I'm planning a run or want a grain, rice cereals like Envirokidz, and I don't even bother with pasta dishes anymore. I am on the lookout for gluten free pie crusts and pasta substitutes for him though, as he loves apple pie and mac and cheese.