long term illness

Options
Anyone trying to lose weight while battling with a long term chronic illness. Also some of the medications and the side effects
I have rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. As well as the illnesses themselves there is also the side effects of the drugs.
I inject a low dose chemotherapy drug once a week, pain killers, also just coming off antidepressants, been on them 3 years.
D xxxx

Replies

• eyeliner128
    eyeliner128 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have six chronic diseases, all of which cause pain on an (almost) daily basis when they are active (it's kind of like cancer where some times it's active, other times it's in remission). When I'm in remission I can manage to walk on a treadmill for awhile at a good pace, but I've been out of remission for about 3 months now and am not in good shape - tread-milling is not an option anymore lol.

So the best advice I can give is, "Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym." You can still lose weight just by watching how many calories you eat. I haven't been able to exercise in awhile and I'm still losing from eating under 1200 a day. And since I'm not active, I don't need to eat a lot, so in a way, the illnesses aid in weight loss in that way.

The main way medications make you gain weight is by increasing your appetite. If you're on a medication like that, it helps to drink a lot of water and have low-calorie things to snack on like salads, cucumbers, fruit.
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hiya I have fibromyalgia and M.E so I get severe pain and fatigue. I have to have an afternoon nap every day if I potter about in the morning so I don't get the opportunity to exercise which bugs the hell out of me

I am going to try swimming again as once I get through the initial pain barrier, I feel better

Add me as a friend, its nice to chat to someone who is in similar position x
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism and Addison's Disease, both of which are controlled by medications that increase appetite.
    I have been battling weight gain for approximately 5 years now, after a lifetime of never having to watch what I ate.
    For me, keeping treats out of the house and having a full waterbottle handy are the only things that help the overeating.
    I have an elliptical for exercise, but find that my back usually is too sore to get much use out of it (Addison's side-effect).
    Somehow I have managed to remove 9 pounds since May, but it sure is slow going!
    I wish you much luck with your fights, sending my best wishes.
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Anyone trying to lose weight while battling with a long term chronic illness. Also some of the medications and the side effects
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. As well as the illnesses themselves there is also the side effects of the drugs.
    I inject a low dose chemotherapy drug once a week, pain killers, also just coming off antidepressants, been on them 3 years.
    D xxxx

I have Mitochondrial Myopathy, with connective fiber necrosis with chronic inflammation, which begins with my energy cells within all muscles malfunctioning and many muscles wasting/dying which leads to chronic inflammation widespread. There are days I can not stand or walk 5 minutes. I have a power chair, because even the muscles in my arms will not work properly.

I started using a recumbent stationary bicycle, but still could only do it 5 min a couple times a week. I got a Gazelle and now (50n pounds into my weight loss) every time I take a trip to the bathroom, I make myself do SOME SORT of time on the gazelle. 2-3 minutes, 5 minutes and add it up at the end of the day.

My weight loss started with strictly counting calories, and NO I didn't automatically "feel better" just because I lost weight. I still have days I can't move from my bed due to the pain and weakness. But, I am feeling better, more confident.

It can be done!

Feel free to add me, there's so few on MFP who knows what a true long term illness is and feels like.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have multiple chronic illnesses including diabetes, neuropathy and heart disease. I also suffer from major depression and am on meds for all of my conditions. Side effects of my meds are wt. gain and fatigue. I am physically disabled due to all my health problems, so it is hard for me to be physically active due to the daily pain level and fatigue. I've lost most of my wt. through watching what I eat. You can do this and we can help. Please feel free to add me.
  • djbigz1988
    Options
    i've had chronic back pain since i was 12, and have had chronic headaches for the last 2 years. doctors thought it was chronic fatigue but its starting to look more like an anxiety disorder.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I have a very rare genetic bone disease called Congenital Multiple Osteochondromatosis or Multiple Hereditary Exostoses (yes, it has 2 names). Basically I have bone tumors on every joint of my body and have had multiple major orthopedic surgeries. There is no cure other than more surgeries and there is no medication other than pain meds which I don't take.

I let it rule my life for most of my life. I don't let it anymore.
  • Nikkitta320
    Options
    I have a very rare genetic bone disease called Congenital Multiple Osteochondromatosis or Multiple Hereditary Exostoses (yes, it has 2 names). Basically I have bone tumors on every joint of my body and have had multiple major orthopedic surgeries. There is no cure other than more surgeries and there is no medication other than pain meds which I don't take.

I let it rule my life for most of my life. I don't let it anymore.

I also have MHE. Ever since I was pregnant for my son, I have been 30 to 40lbs overweight. I am 4'10 (because of mhe) and pre-pregnancy I weighed between 100-105. Now that I am heavier my whole body hurts constantly, especially my knees and legs which is where most of my tumors are. I have been exercising now for a month just about everyday and I have noticed drastic improvement with my mobilty and flexabilty, almost better than when I was younger and lighter. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are still on myfitnesspal, MHE is so rare that I don't know anyone in real life that has MHE except members of my own family. I almost gave into MHE but I have decided that I am not going to let it defeat me. I will not allow it to disable me. Hope to hear from you :)
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    unfortunately yes, i have may-thurner syndrome, which causes left-sided blood clots (deep vein thrombosis). i take anti-coagulants that cause weight gain, and i was taking anxiety meds (Ativan) for a while - when i thought a huge blood clot was going to kill me. i have 3 stents in my left leg and pelvis, and i have nerve damage in my left foot from it. it makes things harder, but not impossible. where there's a will, there's a way....... even if i have to create my own path :happy:
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I have a long term illness the doctors have yet to nail down, I've been actively dealing with it since about 2005. Basically I am prone to infections in my colon. It nearly killed me twice. I'm on 3 different medications to help because since 2009 it has caused chronic pain as well. I live on a very restricted diet, and started exercise even though I was in pain and felt horrible. Ad the new diet started to work my pain lessened and now only comes back around if I'm having a flare or try a food and it doesn't agree with me. Basically I'm on an elimination diet and every couple weeks I can try to introduce something new and see how it goes. I've been lucky that I haven't had an infection in over a year and a half, when I was getting them every 3-6 months before.

Now I feel strange if I don't get to the gym for a day, and every once in a while I will eat something I know I shouldn't, because of the super restrictive diet, and as long as I do that in moderation I am ok. The more weight I lose and more time I spend in the gym, the less trouble I have.

And yes I've had the tests for everything GI related and I don't have any of them
  • Kindakath
    Kindakath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this thread has been inactive for a very long time, but maybe someone will see this. I need support. I have mitochondrial encephalopathy. I can barely walk anywhere and will soon be wheelchair bound. I refuse to be morbidly obese when this happens. I'm closely counting calories and hoping to lose enough for people to not be so judgemental when they look at me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    welcome @Kindakath
    I have behcets/myalgia. I started yoga to gain mobility/maintain mobility. there some great chair programs out on the internet

I just saw a thread regarding a lady who lost 130lbs, so don't feel like this will stop you from your weight loss journey. it doesn't have to :)
    here it is

good luck. and do it for you. not for anyone else. no one else matters
  • elliegal1
    elliegal1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I am struggling to add people - please can anyone advise? I have mitochondrial myopathy and would like to link up with other people x
  • Cailliath
    Cailliath Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have autoimmune hepatitis and myasthenia gravis and as such am in a wheelchair a lot. I find it very difficult to get exercise and I'm also on medications that don't help the weight issue! I have a lot to lose and would really like to have friends in a similar situation. Feel free to add me. x
  • Jaimelton
    Jaimelton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First I applaud anyone who works hard to get healthy with long term illnesses! I my self have a Mechanical heart valve, afib, heart disease, and a blood clot in my brain. I have diet restrictions swear I cannot eat large amounts and always has to be equal amounts of vitamin K so that I don't create blood clots I am A 100% stroke risk patient now. And I have several food allergies what makes it even more difficult to figure out what to eat. And because of the blood clot placement in my head that's not moving anywhere I can not do any exercises that place any strain on my neck or shoulders or I will trigger migraines that will not go away until I get medicines in the hospital. Keep pushing through I have noticed over time obviously getting stronger and stronger makes it easier and so begin to have more endurance for things you never used to be able to do.
  • Debdalena
    Debdalena Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for all the replies to this post from eons ago lol. Hope your all well. How's the dieting? I fell off the diet wagon about November 2014, I've put 9lbs on since losing nearly 3 stones a year ago. So I don't feel too bad, just don't want it getting out of hand. I'm working now also which is probably why I haven't been on here for ages. Off on my jollies in august, so want to lose these excess 9lbs that managed to creep on
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus, RA and Fibro.

Is it Methotrecate you take? I am on that for the RA but I take it in tablets. I gained over 3st when I was first put on it but I'm losing it all now. It's really a case of mind over matter. Being determined to beat it and trying your hardest xxx
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    welcome @Kindakath
    I have behcets/myalgia. I started yoga to gain mobility/maintain mobility. there some great chair programs out on the internet

I just saw a thread regarding a lady who lost 130lbs, so don't feel like this will stop you from your weight loss journey. it doesn't have to :)
    here it is

good luck. and do it for you. not for anyone else. no one else matters

@Kindakath - another vote for chair yoga.

Also, while this video about a disabled veteran who was told he would never walk again unassisted has nothing to do with your condition, you may find it inspirational, as I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc