I am Canadian....is Black Friday all it is stacked up to be?

Options
2»

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I do not leave my house on Black Friday. It's not worth it to me. I just shop sales online.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I feel like its worth it if you do your research and get stuff you would already be getting at regular price. Some stores will have super deals on expensive stuff. One year at Kohls there was a pots and pans set for like $30. Really nice and lots of pans. They only had 10. They opened at 5 a.m. I got there at 5:10 and they were all gone. It was a special black Friday item. They didn't even have the sets for sale at regular price.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Considering that where I live, Black Friday usually means at least one serious injury or death, I avoid the stores for the entire weekend. So not worth it when my favorite mall (Internet) is open 24/7 and delivers to my door.
  • patches1975
    patches1975 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am on the border too, its good if you go down the night before and hotel it, the border line ups of 4 hours or longer defeat the purpose of early deals unless you are near one like me thats 24 hours you can go at 3 am
    I am not bothering to go this year
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Only in America do we trample people for merchandise exactly one day after being thankful for what we already have.

Bwahaha! Thats brilliant!

Never done a black friday the idea of wall to wall people makes me hyperventilate
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Canada started participating in black friday last year, every major store (whether it was clothing, electronics, etc) had SOMETHING going on!
  • teresaislosingitsmith
    Options
    Only in America do we trample people for merchandise exactly one day after being thankful for what we already have.

Wow...that pretty much sums it up! You couldn't pay me enough money to get out there in that mess.
  • buggaboo87
    Options
    There is nothing that I need so badly that I have to go shopping with a greedy crowd of maniacs. Many, many years ago I was at a really good sale at some store and picked up the last item (I don't even remember what the item was). A lady(?) came up behind me and was so upset that I got the last one that I thought she was going to beat me up. Black Friday shopping crowds are not my idea of a good time. I'll stay home in bed!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Nail... head.... hit...
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    In Houston, Tx last year, fools were camping out on Tuesday outside of Best Buy. I went into Best Buy that sunday and got a super cheap tv. Probably 5 dollars more than the people friday.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Not to me. I stay away. I'll be at the gym instead.
  • leska1216
    Options
    Was just reading about this topic. In Canada, there is NO deal. It is all about the American hype. No new stock is brought in and no new sales are put on. Check the BF advertisements and then check the regular flyers. Same price. Same goes for Boxing Day sales before Christmas.
  • leska1216
    Options
    Canada started participating in black friday last year, every major store (whether it was clothing, electronics, etc) had SOMETHING going on!

They may have had a "sale" going on but it was nothing special and no real deals. It's just hype.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I go for the experience. The craziness and anticipation builds up until the exact minute the store opens. Love it!! I pick out one or two key items and go for it. I have always gotten what I've went after so score! LOL I'm just not as excited this year or determined... maybe because my kids Christmas has already arrived from ordering online. I was going after another xbox 360 but dont know if its worth saving the $50 this year LOL We have two already.... 3 kids.. see why? stops arguements hahaha.... anyway if you have nothing else to do I would suggest picking a store, making a list, and having a game plan. Be prepared for the die hards that go insane... if you can take their attitudes with a grain of salt, go for it.. if you are hot tempered maybe just forego the experience.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    It is fun to gather a few friends, and go to a place like wal-mart and people watch. After entertaining yourself with that charlie foxtrot, head to breakfast!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I did it once, I'll never do it again! But, then I hate shopping anyway....my sister's go every year; they're on the West coast and they always call me at 7am EST and they're all hyped up on latte's and have been shopping for hours. They have a great time...unfortunately, If I was with them, I'd be whining about being tired and wanting to go home.

It depends on the kind of shopper you are...my sisters, they're out the "find a bargain"....me; I go in for a specific item and that's all I'm looking for and then I get out. I don't "browse"....somehow the gene missed me.
  • icandoanything2
    icandoanything2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No, it's not really worth it. I saw an ad for iPods for only $5 cheaper. People in my town have been camping outside of Best Buy since Sunday!