Swearing off ALL sodas...now before 2013

Options
It's official, I'm done with the diet sodas. First off, they are not good for me, and they are getting too expensive. I have a feeling it's one of the culprits for my stomach issues right now. Has anyone else had any luck with giving them up? How long did it take you to kick the habit? For me, the hardest part is the cravings for carbonation. I miss that bite.

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I completely stopped soda nine weeks ago. Admittedly, I had been reducing my intake for a while leading up to that.

I actually cracked open a Coke Zero about four weeks ago and didn't finish it. It was so vile and sweet... Just disgusting
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've sworn off sodas so many times and fell off the wagon, it's not even funny. Do you plan on going cold turkey or gradually reducing your intake?
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    It is hard but im actually ok with it now. I LOVE mt dew. If you try drinking more water that should help.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda really....
  • rigorouslogik
    rigorouslogik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I quit diet soda about 2 weeeks ago, and it hasnt been to bad. I drink lots of water which helps. Good luck.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    one day I just quit drinking dr pepper, it's been about 9 months I still have 1/3 of a bottle in my fridge from that day.
  • Sreed9901
    Sreed9901 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I went almost 3 months without a soda and then had a Sprite and couldn't finish it because it was way too sweet. I too, missed the carbonation but found Walmart and a local grocery store carry flavored sparkling water. Many flavors to pick from and it is bubbly enough to curb the craving for carbonation.
  • SammyLou28
    Options
    Good, sodas are pretty worthless nutritionally. I have a coke maybe once every six months, if even. I don't understand how people can drink them daily. My husband drinks about 4 Mountain Dews every day and it really horrifies me.

I know a lot of people who seem like they are addicted to them or something. I do not see the appeal. Maybe it's because I was raised without soda or sugary juices. It's like drinking desert. I would rather just have the cupcake or pie or whatever.

Usually I just drink water or tea.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Just like quitting smoking, it took me a few tries. I switched to club soda, seltzer water, and sparkling mineral water for whenever I want that 'bite'. I know several people that were successful that way, by switching to fizzy water. Just don't give up :)
  • xmizlynnax
    xmizlynnax Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hardest one to give up for me was root beer!! AH

I agree with one of the previous posters... try switching to seltzer, etc. Drink plain water until you're full and don't really have room to crave any of the soda!

Honestly, just try to stick with it at least 3 weeks and it will become a habit. I cut out all sodas since the beginning of this year I think, and keep my other liquid calories in moderation unless it's a protein shake or something, and it's really helped! :)

Good luck!!
  • ChesanneD
    Options
    I've sworn off soda alot of times! but I don't have to much of a problem because I love water! I do have a sprite every now and then but I' definatly a water girl. But for some reason during my pregnancy I had more soda then usually, but now I'm back to all water :) The only problem now, is that I'm never thirsty enough to have a full 8 glasses :P
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I mostly quit drinking diet soda about 6 months ago. i replaced it with seltzer so i can still get the carabonation.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I drank about 12-14 oz of diet cola at supper each night. One night I just decided I was not going to drink anything with meals. I never looked back...I look at the soda and chip aisle now and just chuckle! It's one aisle I don't even need to go down and sure saves a lot of $$$ and temptation! The dang stuff was heavy to carry home too!
  • DankiStar
    Options
    I have mineral water (or water with gas, or whatever people call it!) with a slice of lemon or lime (or any fruit for a treat - try berries and mint). Still got that zing, none of the calories or sugar
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a soda in almost 4 weeks. The first week was the hardest but even then I only had about 4 during the week when I normally had 4+ a day. Right now with the exception of the OJ or almond milk for my morning shakes, I only drink water. I'm noticing a change in my skin. It's not as dry this year as it's gotten colder and I have fewer blemishes.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I haven't had a soda in more years than I can remember. Once you get past the initial hump, you'll find that they don't taste very good - More like chemicals than anything tasty.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 6 months ago. First couple weeks were rough but now I can't stand the taste or smell of diet mt dew. I thought I would miss the carbonation but I really don't. Pretty much just drink water now.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Woke up, said I was done, it was over. I haven't looked back since.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I quit soda about 9 months ago. I quit craving it after a couple of months and if I was having a craving, I drank a bunch of water instead.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this has been suggested yet or not but take carbonated water (sold at wal-mart or grocery stores) and mix some 100% pure fruit juice of choice. It doesn't take much of the juice so it's not hard on the calories. After a few weeks of that I just went straight water. I treat myself from time to time with diet cherry limeade from Sonic but that's about it. Good luck. Once you're away from them you won't miss it.