Couch to 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K and am currently on week 7. I have been blogging about it on here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/seamatt

It's a really good programme, and I would not go as far as to say I am enjoying it, but I am enjoying the sense of accomplishment after each run.

I would recommend you get fitted for running shoes at a local running store. They should put you on a treadmill for 15-20 seconds and video your feet. This tells them how your feet react and can find an appropriate support.

Good luck :)
  • I'm doing the c25k programme and I am on week three. Can't say I'm loving it exactly as I'm not a massive fan of running but it is impressive how much my stamina has improved already. Would love to be able to run a 5k so I am sticking with it to the end. Mind over matter is the key I think, my brain doesn't seem to think I can do it but my legs just about can. Good luck x
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the best way is to go to a proper sports shop and get your gait analysed on a machine, but I too didn't start out with that. I went to my local big sports store (Decathlon) and spent ages looking at all the different types.

I knew I'd be road running rather than on the treadmill, but probably not hiking through woods so I chose a pair that were a good all rounder with lots of support layers within the sole... I asked a member of staff which section I should be choosing from and was pointed in the right direction. There was also a choice according to your length of runs, which wasn't something I was worried about at the time, but will be more considerate of next time.

Once I narrowed it down to a final 3 I chose simply based on colour :laugh: They were £85 down to £50 which was the top end of my budget but they made such an incredible difference it's amazing.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Consider a minimalist model like the Vibram Five Fingers (toe shoes), Merrill Foot Gloves, or Nike Frees. If you start to research midfoot strike, you'll start to learn that traditional highly padded shoes enable you to run in a way that pounds the heel, and sends shocks up to the ankle, knee, hip, and back. Minimalist / barefoot shoes help / make you land on your midfoot and not your heel, a much more biomechanically sound way to land.

Experienced runners need to take the transition slowly as running this way puts more stress on the calf which needs time to respond. But a beginning runner is the perfect candidate. I did exactly this and am now running 10k routinely and have avoided knee injuries common to new runners. I recommend them highly as a super light, super comfortable alternative. At least give them a try in the store.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Consider a minimalist model like the Vibram Five Fingers (toe shoes), Merrill Foot Gloves, or Nike Frees. If you start to research midfoot strike, you'll start to learn that traditional highly padded shoes enable you to run in a way that pounds the heel, and sends shocks up to the ankle, knee, hip, and back. Minimalist / barefoot shoes help / make you land on your midfoot and not your heel, a much more biomechanically sound way to land.

Experienced runners need to take the transition slowly as running this way puts more stress on the calf which needs time to respond. But a beginning runner is the perfect candidate. I did exactly this and am now running 10k routinely and have avoided knee injuries common to new runners. I recommend them highly as a super light, super comfortable alternative. At least give them a try in the store.

This. SO this. I have plantar fasciitis in both feet (if you're not familiar with it, just imagine shin splints but on the arches of your feet), and Vibram Five Fingers got me off of crutches, and now that I've started C25K in them I'm finding that running with proper midfoot strike in them is actualy MORE comfortable than walking! It takes some effort to learn to run a little differently, but the beginning of C25K is perfect for that because you're running for only 60 seconds, and you can focus on correct form for that long. Here's a website at Harvard dedicated to the importance of foot strike in minimizing impact forces while running:

http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love it! I've never been able to run, I'm on week 3 now and although its still difficult for me I'm doing it, dont worry if you have to repeat either lol it took me 3 weeks to master week 1, one week to do week 2 and now I'm on week three :)
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Started the program in February of this year; ran a half marathon this past weekend. Be warned - running is addictive.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Started the program in February of this year; ran a half marathon this past weekend. Be warned - running is addictive.

Congratulations on the half marathon! I hope to do one in the Spring.
  • sundayl369
    Options
    Some tips while I was on the programme:
    -Get some decent running shoes
    -If your legs feel tired than the previous workout after a few mins of the current workout, do not hesitant to walk out the rest. Learn to listen to your body for injuries or when you need rest.
    -REST IS IMPORTANT, like I said, always take an extra days rest if your legs arn't 80-100% healed.
    -Learn to rate the workouts by 'easy/medium/hard' and repeat the day if you feel its hard. If you feel your workouts are 'easy/medium' you will love and breeze through the programme without hitting that mental block that most people feel (I attempted this programme 2 times before completing it).
    -If you proceed with the easy/medium/hard routine, after week 5/6 you will almost never run out of breath after a workout.
    -During your last minute of your workout, always sprint at your maximum speed - your legs will feel fatigued and tired, but the adrenaline will make you forget everything and you will love it (don't forget to walk briskly for another minute afterwards before going to your cooldown walk speed)
    -After each workout, use a foam roller to massage out your muscles (along with the normal stretches), this piece of equipment is a runners paradise!
    watch this video if you've never used it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0OP8_PHmo

Everytime you do any work on your legs - use it and you will fall in love with it hahaha

Enjoy running, you will be addicted to it soon enough xD
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    C25K took me a year. But now I run a 5K in about 24 minutes. I have also done 10Ks and I am training for a half marathon. Just stick with the program!
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    C25k is great! I've yet to complete it, I seem to stop and restart quite a bit :( I just finished week 5 day 2 today though.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Totally, totally fantastic program that really works! I finished in the end of summer and have since done a mess of 5ks, two 10ks and am training for my first half marathon.
  • IansNonnie
    IansNonnie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How inspiring! I'm going to have to look this up and give it a whirl!
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Made it through week one. This weekend I will tackle week 2. Thanks for all your feedback and showing that the program can work. Wish me luck on week 2.