Detox and Cleanse??

Options
I'm very very new to all of this and I was wondering if it was safe to do Jillian Michaels (sorry, not positive if that's her last name..oops) Detox and Cleanse 7 day program. It comes with probiotics also. I'm really not sure if that's something that is beneficial or not. Sorry for being such a newb, but everyone has to start somewhere!

Replies

• hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I read the label on that Detox and Cleanse . . . it's mostly magnesium. That's a laxative. It probably won't hurt you to do it, but you'll be in the bathroom. If you go ahead with it, you need to stay ultra-hydrated.
  • hapemopirate
    Options
    Oh, and the probiotics -- you can just eat yogurt. As long as it says it contains "live active cultures" it has all the probiotics you need.
  • adriennetara
    Options
    I guess my main thing is...is it safe to put my body through that?
  • hapemopirate
    Options
    I wouldn't. There are much better ways to clear your system. Just drink lots of water and try for at least 30 g of fiber a day. You'll clear out, stay full and not be stuck in the bathroom!
  • adriennetara
    Options
    thanks so much! I appreciate it!
  • hapemopirate
    Options
    You're welcome! And good luck! Everybody here is great whenever you have questions or need some support!
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I don't buy into those all those products - I just don't feel safe putting stuff into my body. And I love Jillian Michaels (her DVD workouts are great and Biggest Loser is one of my favorite shows) but I'm really kind of sad she has weight loss products out there. I've read her books and she says, if it doesn' t have a mother or grow from the ground don't eat it. Well I can gaurantee you her weight loss products do not have a mother or grow from the ground. There are 3 law suits against her too over her diet products - you can google it and find them. There are tons of ways to do a natural detox/cleanse and you can get probiotics in a pill form or just eat yogurt. Good Luck to you; I wish you the very best.
  • adriennetara
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much! I had no idea about the law suits! I purchased it and was planning to start it today but decided to ask on the forums before taking it. I'm so glad I did!! It's all good, once I return it, it'll be 18 extra dollars in my pocket! Now I realize that I need to do a bit more research before I buy certain things!!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I do my own detox/cleanse.. I'm taking bentonite clay in the morning and doing psyllium husk powder 2x a day.. I dropped 3 lbs in my colon in a day.. I've never felt better! I love it.:drinker:
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    I do my own detox/cleanse.. I'm taking bentonite clay in the morning and doing psyllium husk powder 2x a day.. I dropped 3 lbs in my colon in a day.. I've never felt better! I love it.:drinker:
    Thanks for posting your detox you are doing - I've googled so many but it's like how do you choose. It's good to have someone say "This works."
  • JennyVirginia
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much! I had no idea about the law suits! I purchased it and was planning to start it today but decided to ask on the forums before taking it. I'm so glad I did!! It's all good, once I return it, it'll be 18 extra dollars in my pocket! Now I realize that I need to do a bit more research before I buy certain things!!
    No problem - I do know the law suits aren't against her detox products - it's against her calorie control product. But still. It just makes me nervous. Maybe you can use that $18 and invest in some natural way. Good Luck.
  • adriennetara
    Options
    Definitely!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to put in my $.02. I can promise you that if you increase your fiber and your water - it's all the cleanse/detox that you need. Your body is an amazing piece of machinery - when fed properly and used properly - it self cleans.

Save your money and buy a new sports bra or some new Itunes to work out to... it's a better use of your money! I guess you could say that cleanses are just "throwing money down the toilet" - literally. Badump bump - thanks folks I'm here all night... oy, that was bad!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of the articles on this site are not very good, but this is an exception:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=706

It is written by an RD, so it contains facts and not marketing hype.
  • Azdak
    Options

Here's something that will make your research easier: if it is associated in any way with Jillian Michaels, avoid it like a sample of Ebola.
  • Azdak
    Options
    One last thing: for those who tout the "benefits" of detox/cleansing, I have only two words:

Placebo Effect
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump to read later